Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 11:48 AM

12 posts, read 21,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
You speak of which you know not. There are many lines that have been crossed in this life that you are unaware of and many nations lived in. Your money would be poorly wagered. All is not as it seems to your distant eye.

I wish you luck in your endeavors in Scranton and Scranton politics because you will need it.

I can not comment on Scranbarre's character or wisdom. That being said, I've seen several post that comment on his youth. What I do know is that if someone's argument is about the age of another then that is a weak argument. I am sure that there is a lot more to the "story" about Scranbarre. Personally, I don't care!!! He is helpful. He actually goes out of his way to help. For that, I am thankful. I'm sure Scranbarre and I have many differences. However, I do not know anything about Scranton, but he does. He does not just paint a pretty picture of Scranton. He has posted some negatives, if not many; however, he loves Scranton. I, too, can say many good and bad things about North Augusta. However, North Augusta is not for me!

If anyone has anything, positive or negative, to say about Scranton, please post it. I want to know the good and the bad. I always consider the source. In this case, the fact that these are all anonymous tips that could be coming from someone that doesn't even know where Scranton is. I moderate a nursing forum and give that kind of advice to many members asking for advice on different hospitals, schools, and nursing fields. However, people here can be helpful. One person was nice enough to post links to hospitals in the Scranton area. That is helpful in making my decision.

That being said, I ask that everyone please refrain from using my thread to down put Scranbarre. It's not really helpful or productive to me. Feel free to start your own thread to bash Scranbarre, if moderators here allow, but please stay on my original post's topic or move on.

Regards,
JB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxy38 View Post
Jb I know how you feel but I wouldn't let it bother you. When I first started posting on here I asked about jobs as an x-ray tech. The response that I got was, "how can anyone move to an area and not know about the job market". Well I was annoyed at that and others remarks. I just wanted help too find places that maybe I overlooked. I was also called a "transplant" and laughed at that. But like I said I got some good help also.

Don't let it bother you, there are alot of people that will help on this site.

good luck,
roxy
Thank you. Don't worry I have thick skin. Again, I would check out any information given myself. If someone said, hey move to xxxx, PA. It is always 78 degrees, no crime, plenty of nursing jobs with a starting pay of $150,000 a year, and houses cost $50,000 for a 6 bedroom 7 bath home right in the city. I would NOT just "pick right up and move to beverly, xxxx, PA that is."

Old 06-28-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerdrunkenSP View Post
JB74 you should also look slightly farther south into the Wilkes-Barre area for hospital jobs and places to live. There are some good schools and areas to raise your children in that area.

I don't believe that any place in the world is either all Norman Rockwell or Armageddon but somewhere in between. Most importantly its' what you make of it.

I know I started a thread on this a while back, so again if an area is so bad, why stay? If someone has job skills they can always move.
I agree; there are no perfect places. It seems I could also commute to a Wilkes-Barre hospital and still live in Scranton. Although, Wilkes-Barre could be a good choice as well. The town that Scranbarre said he will always consider home looks nice, too.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:11 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,659,511 times
Paul, I wouldn't exactly call myself a "yes man" for Dan. I just happen to agree with 95 percent of his views and opinions of the city. Since I live here also, I get to see it first hand. Thanks for the compliment though, I think you're a wonderful guy too. At least one thing you can say about me, I do stand true by what I say and never waver, much like Dan and yourself.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:36 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,130,114 times
A reminder to all...please stay on the original topic...thank you...

Old 06-28-2008, 01:50 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coartist88 View Post
A reminder to all...please stay on the original topic...thank you...
Sorry, John. We all seem to get carried away sometimes with these Scranton-oriented threads.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:59 PM

Thank you, JB, for the positive reinforcement, but I'm accustomed to criticism and can take it when offered constructively. I agree that it's not fair that nine times out of ten the only retort I get from several people is that I must "know nothing" because of my age. Yes, I am twenty-one years old. No, that does not necessarily mean I'm not a credible source of information.

When I first joined this forum two years I was admittedly heavy with the rose-colored glasses. Now I've become more of a realist. Scranton has a 3.4% city wage tax, political tensions, and questionable infrastructural maintenance issues, along with a number of other ailments. However, I still think the positives in the Electric City far outweigh its negatives. Some people choose to dwell exclusively upon the negative. A perfect example of this would be the University of Scranton, which is begrudged by many and lauded by few. Should the university warrant criticism for the relatively small annual amount it compensates the city in lieu of taxes? Yes. Should we go so far as to call this school a "burden" upon the city? Most certainly NOT. If anything the university has helped to put Scranton on the map and has brought many visitors (parents) to the city from NJ and NY, some of whom may consider coming here for weekend getaways or even relocate here after retirement for the slower pace of living coupled with inexpensive housing and a location near to the major cities. The well-educated people that the university graduates annually creates a well-skilled workforce that will attract higher-paying jobs (so perhaps the otherwise naive locals can stop cheering when a new Wal-Mart opens for its "family-sustaining job opportunities") Granted many are leaving and contributing to the "Brain Drain," but in the past few years in particular I've noticed more and more of my college peers yearning to live in Scranton or Wilkes-Barre after college to raise their families. The more of these graduates that stick around, the more attractive we become to prospective skilled employers.

Sorry to ramble a bit here, but the problem with Scranton is that far too many residents only see gloom and despair when there is so much opportunity to appreciate as well.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:15 PM

50 posts, read 103,169 times
I truely don't understand why folks automatically disregard what someone has to say or bring to the table strictly based upon their age or lack of "worldly" experience. I admire ScranBarre's optimistic outlook on his own future along with that of the area. Unfortunately the generations of "coal mining" mentality, nah sayers and people who don't like change keep beating those with a fresh outlook till they kill their spirit and make them conform like every other negatively charged person or drive them out of the area.

If more of our young folks looked to staying in the area and making it a better palce for themselves and everyone else, I say all the more power to them. We have turned into a society that believes we are entitled to everything under the sun and if I'm miserable so should everyone else.

We are no longer an industrialized nation and those with the forethought to create businesses which fit into the "global" economy will do well. The days of the large corporations coming into town with hundreds of jobs are long gone, it'll be the small mom & pop companies with handfuls of employees which will be the working model in years to come.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:07 PM

Don't ask me how I stumbled upon this thread tonight while doing a completely unrelated search on local demographics for a fictitious business plan for my small business management class, but I just took the time to read through all of it, and I honestly teared up a little. Just under one year ago I was still very optimistic about living my "dream life" in the Electric City, and now here I am searching for one-bedroom apartments on CraigsList in Northern Virginia that have monthly price tags the equivalent of most mortgages here in NEPA.

I wonder whatever happened to our old pal JB74. I'm also ashamed of myself for making fun of Rosie O'Donnell's rather "handsome" appearance. I'm really going to miss our valley when I'm four hours "down da line." However, I know that this is ultimately what's best for my professional endeavors. Most importantly I can't believe how civilized weluvpa and I now are to one another after a VERY tumultuous start where we were often at one another's throats. It's amazing how quickly some of us mature.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:34 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,098,909 times
Coffee before you leave, on me and firm handshake to send on your way down the road of life. I'm actually proud of you Paul for taking this step. You'll be back like the rest of us have sooner or later, but most importantly your getting out and your going to see the world. That will undoubtly change your perspective on many things in life.

I now have more time to pursue some of my ventures and I'm looking forward to 2009. When I pop out of the mouth of the Susquehanna in Havre De Grace Maryland you can bring me a coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania