Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 12:22 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,661,012 times

Advertisements

Nesquehoning will be the envy of many towns in NEPA. It will be the home of the Pennsylvania Solar Park. The largest solar energy farm east of Nevada.
Slated for Carbon County, in Nesquehoning. It will hold enough power to supply 1450 homes. It will eliminate 320,000 tons of greenhouse gas emissions.

These beautiful moving panels will be on a web-cam so the public can see them working right from their home internet.

100% pollution-free it will reduce our need for foreign oil. Hurray to that!
There will be 900 solar trackers with 48 solar panels on each, moving panel.

Caron County, the center of Americas energy for generations from coal, will now be a front-runner towards alternative energy.

I heard they will employ about 50 people to work there. Any jobs coming that way, will also help our area to grow. I'm excited about this!

Here is the article that was posted:
Nesquehoning to Become Solar Power (http://www.istockanalyst.com/article/viewiStockNews+articleid_2493717&title=Nesquehonin g_to_Become.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 12:48 PM

937 posts, read 2,888,951 times
yes, i saw this on wnep last night and today. I agree about jobs in the area. We need to bring in more companies that will offer better jobs.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:48 PM

50 posts, read 131,751 times
Default AMEN! That's great news!

[quote=Summering;4783428]Nesquehoning will be the envy of many towns in NEPA. It will be the home of the Pennsylvania Solar Park. The largest solar energy farm east of Nevada.
Slated for Carbon County, in Nesquehoning. It will hold enough power to supply 1450 homes. It will eliminate 320,000 tons of greenhouse gas emissions. "

Very, very exciting and the most wonderful news I've heard in quite some time. It's such a pretty area with great natural resources. I'm so happy
after being bummed out about the rest of the area.
Hopefully- it's just the beginning for PA...

Old 08-08-2008, 03:43 PM

Yes, it was on TV a few times, and I also came across the article above.
I think it is exciting too! Just think, you can watch the solar panels moving around online. Huge, huge, they are. A start in the right direction. We need to be rid of foreign oils.......and make our own resources work.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:34 PM

Default It's truly a wish come true for me...

Summering-
Also- do you get Mother Earth News?

Old 08-08-2008, 07:01 PM

372 posts, read 1,228,512 times
I just read about this in the Standard Speaker this morning.

As a native of Nesquehoning, I am so happy that this step has been taken. The area desperately needs jobs, and I glad to see they'll be coming. I do hope that this also inspires "green" companies to move into the area.

It should be quite a sight when complete - to see all those panels moving around and such - can't wait!

Old 08-08-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by still lookin' for "home" View Post
Summering-
Also- do you get Mother Earth News?
No I don't get the Mother Earths News, but I feel like Mother Earth sometimes

Old 08-09-2008, 05:34 AM

620 posts, read 2,055,623 times
Great news!! And Mother Earth News is a great magazine...they have it at Borders and Wegmans now if anyone wants to check it out.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:54 AM

Default Borders and Wegmans??/

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermanMike View Post
Great news!! And Mother Earth News is a great magazine...they have it at Borders and Wegmans now if anyone wants to check it out.
great to hear that Mike! It's a great magazine.....

Old 08-09-2008, 09:42 AM

1,429 posts, read 3,641,462 times
I don't think projects like this will ever end our use of oil, but that's no reason to not do them. Solar power, wind power, hydroelectric plants, all of these things shrink our use, and that's a good thing. While the best a consumer may be able to afford is a hybrid car, I see no reason why we are not running electric public transportation. One also has to wonder if they could ever build a solar powered train? Shipping by rail is already much more efficient than using tractor trailers, imagine what more could be done. Bottom line they need to shift a large amount of govt monies toward projects of this nature, and into rebuilding our infastructure. Failing bridges and extremely over-taxed and out-moted power transformers with no re-investement spells big problems down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania