Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 08:23 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times

Advertisements

I must say that I am shocked to read some of the amazingly callous and nasty comments that some readers of the Pottsville Republican Herald newspaper are making towards the grieving widow-to-be of a slain Hispanic man in Shenandoah, Schuylkill County. Instead of focusing on the real issue at hand here---three "buzzed" and testosterone-crazed Caucasian teen aged jocks beating a Hispanic man to death in the street while shouting racial slurs at him, the fine people of Schuylkill County are instead hurling insults at her for being engaged to wed an illegal immigrant.

16-year-old Brandon Piekarsky, 17-year-old Colin Walsh, and 18-year-old Derrick Donchak have been charged with beating 25-year-old Luis Zavala to death in the street while hurling racial slurs. As a young gay male who has likewise been the victim of hatred in NEPA, I must respectfully ask my fellow residents "What on Earth are you teaching your children?" Do you really appreciate the fact that the rest of the nation views our region as being a haven for racists and bigots? I'm going to be raising my own future adopted children to learn to love and appreciate all different people, regardless of their ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, race, gender, socioeconomic class, etc.

Here's just a sampling of the unedited content I found on the newspaper's web site:

The would-be-widow of Mr. Zavala, Crystal A. Dillman, left one of the first responses: " WELL I FINALLY GOT SOME KINDS OF JUSTICE FOR MY FIANCE I HAVE TO SAY IT'S ABOUT TIME !!!! "

This was met with the following unflattering replies from her fellow townspeople in the God-forsaken place they call Schuylkill County:
  1. " Justice would have been to get Ramirez out of the country before this happened. Now more lives will be ruined by federal negligence and Chystal's indifference to law. "
  2. " if you love mexicans so much and like screwing our system them move down with the rest of the trash!!!!!!!!!! "
  3. " Well Crystal word on the street is that man was seeing a fourteen year old? Oh nice touch having a convicted criminal for MANSLAUGHTER represent the Hispanic community. This situation is rediculous. "
  4. " So now what? Are you gonna collect money from people that feel bad for you and your 3 kids? How were with him know he was illegal? The beating was wrong but its girl like you with illegal immigrants that make the problem worse. I think these girls with babies from illegals should have to show the father is legal or send them all back to Mexico. "
  5. " you know who your talking about when you say that stuff you know who we are soooo.....whats the problem are you jealous that our friends didnt beat and kill one of you friends i have 9NIECES AND NEPHEWS that are part mexican when i walk down the street with them say something then not on the computer cause nothing could be done online its a shame when we walk down the street and were to0ld to take our children home and give them baths cause there dirty your parents should be ashamed of there selves for bringing you up this way i just wanna let you know that i myself have no children and my boyfriend is 100% mexican and proud of so if you got something to say say it cause you know who i am and no i WONT BEAT YOU TO DEATH !
  6. " If there is a God, please let the same thing happen to these adolescents as happened to OJ. FREE SV!
  7. " Why is Ms. Dillman not being investigated for aiding and abetting an illegal alien? Federal law is pretty clear on this....
  8. " If all of the illegals in town would have been deported prior to this happening, we wouldn't have this situation. How about the police get off of their butts and start rounding these people up? It's not like they're tough to find! "
  9. " If the government would have done their job, he wouldn't have been inthe country to begin with. If it was 4 illegals beating up and killing an american caucian, they would have only would have got deported, as punishment. Check into MSNBC about the illegal with an AK-47, killing a father & his 2 sons, over road rage. His punishment was deportation. Way to go Government, keep up the good work!!!! Expect more issues like these. I thought this was America, that protected thier own, but in todays society, you have to be illegal, or of differnet nationality to get protection. "
  10. " yea this mexican was illegal he should of never been in this country in the first place "
  11. " LETS HOPE ALL MY FRIENDS WALK FREE FROM THIS B.C THEY SHOULD B.C OF NOT DOING ANYTHING WRONG "
  12. " Crystal should be ashamed of herself and Eileen Burke should shut her mouth. I saw the news at her house today. These boys should not be charged as adults. UNREAL!!!!!!!!! "
  13. " She's probably collecting welfare too. "
  14. " were they good football players?
  15. " personal thought,
    i wonder if dillman is still going to move to mexico and buy that shop.. prolly not, i'm sure the united states goverment will take good care of her. "
  16. " Let them boys go free. The guy who died probably started it. "
  17. " you are all acting so childish. This man was illigal, if it wasn't thee boys it would have been somebody else. And the only reason nobody said anything about him before was becas the mexican in Shenandoah ae crazy and probably would have killd someone for saying that. Nobody is sivilized anymore. Because of all this happening Shenandoah is in more danger. Gangs have moved in and put everyone's life in danger. And people are saying we are racist?!? it's racism if it's true. We wouldn't have anything bad to say about the Mexicans if they were good people. It is scary walking the streets of Shenandoah and having some discusting looking mexican yell out his window at you and say somehting obseen! I am sick of it! I'm am not racist what so ever but thee is a fine line betwwen the kind of mexicans in our area and in other places. This would have neve happend if the Mexicans weren't so disrespectful. I am so happy that these boys are lockd up but we don't know why they killd him. None of us were there. They wouldn't have just seen him and gone after him. He had to of also been involved.

Everyone should be ashamd of themselves for making the rediculous acusations. I'm only 14 and i can act more mature that most of you. "
  18. " I'd like to be on that jury not guilty on all counts. "
  19. " Why isn't his fiance bring charged with harboring an illegal immigrant. She wants to act like it was not her fault but if she would't have harbored him, he would not have been here to be killed. She should be charged!!
    If people want to come to the United States they should have to do it the LEGAL way and not sneak in here. Many people do it the right way and they deserve the right to be called an American. Also if you want to live in the United States YOU SHOULD SPEAK ENGLISH NOT SPANISH!!! This is not Mexico!! This could be why there is so much hatred. People come here and WILL not conform to the rules that the rest of us live by. "
  20. " First off, Eileen Burke is NOT a "retired Philadelphia Police Officer" - she's a meter maid on compie.
    Secondly, IF justice were served, Crystal Dillman would be thrown in jail for aiding and abetting an illegal alien and her illegitimate children would be afforded the opportunity to be adopted by LAW ABIDING parents who would raise them with morals and dignity.
    That, friends and neighbors, would be justice. "
  21. " they should get off, he was illegal so there are no records of him ever being here too bad they found the body "
  22. " The whole truth will be out in the trial I hope it is turned over to juvinile court where it belongs. Illlegals get out now all you white [expletive] who cannot get a decent white boy because you are low life scum get out to. No Decent boy wants anything to do with you. You are WHITE TRASH "
  23. " WAIT A SECOND!!!! what about the ILLEGALS!? these boys are being charged and this illegals family is still sitting in this country crying that justice isnt being served?! How is any of this fair? The kids should be deported Dillman should be charged with illegal activity and then justice will really be served!!!!!! "
  24. " pay attention...already it starts look at who is getting charged with what!!

told you they didn"t own suits!!!!
    do you really think they will do any real time??? (they'll be on the golf course with OJ)mabey a few years
    the ignorance in shenandoah really makes me sad.i dont think i would have a problem with race seperation after all i have seen since i moved here
    but it does make for a good laugh when i go home to n.y and tell them about people here (you could never talk about new yorkers!!)
    either way none of this will ever stop me from praying for the family and those kids who lost a real man in there life "
  25. " I hope everyone is happy now. What did this prove? I say NOT GUILTY for all the charges. "
  26. " Your T-Shirts should say this:

Shenandoah......proudly serving as the armpit of Schuylkill County since 1866 "
  27. " If the 3 boys didn't do this someone else would have. Schuylkill county needs to get all the illegals OUT. gangs are moving into shenandoah, it is not a safe place. everyone siad there was going to be a shooting at the italian bazar, now what, football season is coming up, what if those dirty mexicans try and do something there. there are young children running all around. I presonally am going to feel worried at the games. I'm in the band so I have no choice but to go.

We have to stick together, and show all these illegals who's boss.

I'm glad these 3 boys have a good lawyer, hopefully they get off. "
  28. " I am all for the t-shirt thing. I think we should support these boys. They are going through a lot too. They should be charged with defending themselves and their town against these illegals. lets get rid of them all.... "

...this is simply all I could post, as I'm nearly in tears right now. All this time I was hoping to raise my family in NEPA, but after seeing just how many morons are in my midst, I truly realize I must move to an area with some intellect instead. If there's this many people (trust me when I saw there are dozens more like this) who are supporting these boys for murdering a man due to either his race or his questionable legal status, then what would they do to my partner and I if we were holding hands while walking down Main Street in Shenandoah?

NEPA, THE YEAR IS 2008!!! GROW UP!!!!

Old 07-25-2008, 08:38 PM

Unfreakin'believable! I happen to have a Hispanic friend, and he couldn't be a nicer person. Shall I ready the white sheets, Schuylkill County?

Old 07-25-2008, 10:03 PM

20 posts, read 73,714 times
That whole incident makes my blood BOIL with rage. I've seen this kind of good ol boy-let's protect the jock mentality for YEARS in this area. I'm sure it's like this elsewhere too, and not everybody shares the same views as those disgusting contributors to that discussion. However, you'll find that it tends to be people with the lowest IQ's and tolerance for anything that isn't white/Christian/heterosexual to also have the loudest mouths. I remember my senior year in HS (2002) when my best friend, who was gay, was harassed everyday by members of the basketball team. We reported it to the principal numerous times and NOTHING was done. They had a winning team that year and they couldn't possibly suspend them during the season *gasp!* This happened in a very small town, so tensions were unbearable that year. Sadly, that kind of mentality will never go away as long as people like that keep breeding and spreading the hate from one generation to the next.

I went on the Pottsville Republican Herald site and I had to stop reading the comments, as it's making me sick to my stomach. I'm glad to see some of the comments supporting the arrest of the boys, but I cannot believe the venom and utter ignorance of some of the statements. Trying to follow thier logic is making my head hurt! Let's bring back the KKK? WHAT?!?!?

I'm still not giving up on NEPA though, I think we still have hope! People need to stick around and make it known that we will NOT tolerate this 1950's racist attitude anymore.

Last edited by Mamba Cat; 07-25-2008 at 10:17 PM..

Old 07-25-2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamba Cat View Post
That whole incident makes my blood BOIL with rage. I've seen this kind of good ol boy-let's protect the jock mentality for YEARS in this area. I'm sure it's like this elsewhere too, and not everybody shares the same views as those disgusting contributors to that discussion. However, you'll find that it tends to be people with the lowest IQ's and tolerance for anything that isn't white/Christian/heterosexual to also have the loudest mouths. I remember my senior year in HS (2002) when my best friend, who was gay, was harassed everyday by members of the basketball team. We reported it to the principal numerous times and NOTHING was done. They had a winning team that year and they couldn't possibly suspend them during the season *gasp!* This happened in a very small town, so tensions were unbearable that year. Sadly, that kind of mentality will never go away as long as people like that keep breeding and spreading the hate from one generation to the next.
Oh I know all too well the "worship the jock" mentality that is so prevalent in our area. 75% of these "All-American Heroes" wind up drinking every night away at the corner bar, reminiscing upon their former glory days, while the rest of us who were their targets go on to lead successful, productive lives. It's a shame that most school board members in our area care more about having a winning football team than they do about providing for a good educational environment for the children of the taxpayers that they represent. I was severely harassed by one former Pittston Area football player in particular, and to this day I remain scarred at how the school did nothing. All I know for sure is that my children will not be enrolled in this district in the future---if any in NEPA at all at this rate. I could see if just a few people had made such racist remarks on that newspaper's forum, but for dozens to be made, some even from children, proves to me that NEPA is still light years behind the rest of the nation in terms of social tolerance and progression.

Instead of mourning the senseless loss of a man and wondering how his three children will be provided for, the Schuylkill County community has denigrated into an "us" vs. "them" mentality that is tearing it apart. A part of me just wants to walk hand-in-hand with my partner down the main drag in Shenandoah and mace anyone who dares hurl slurs at us or throw bottles at us.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
A part of me just wants to walk hand-in-hand with my partner down the main drag in Shenandoah and mace anyone who dares hurl slurs at us or throw bottles at us.
I totally understand. You guys walk, I'll lurk in the shadows behind you with mace and a set of dictionaries to throw. They could use both!

Old 07-25-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamba Cat View Post
I totally understand. You guys walk, I'll lurk in the shadows behind you with mace and a set of dictionaries to throw. They could use both!
HA! Thanks! Let's just grab one person of each type of minority status we can find and have a "Diversity Parade" right through Downtown Shenandoah. I wonder how long it will be until the white sheets come out, judging by the dozens of racists that congregated on the web site of the Pottsville Republican Herald? I'll round up a few of my friends to do a "Village People" tribute as well as we sing "YMCA" behind the parade.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:53 PM

LOL. If anything like that were to occur, I would be there in a heartbeat!

Old 07-25-2008, 11:03 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,937,421 times
I came across this thread cause I was visiting the Pennsylvania forum since I'm planning a short trip.

This story was shocking as were the responses. The illegal immigration debate is very radicalized on both sides. While I have no sympathy for illegals I certainly won't hope that they get killed like that. No matter the circumstances people have no right to treat a widow that way, especially one with kids. I just hope that in America today as the illegals debate intensifies people will still know the difference between an illegal immigrant and a Hispanic American or Asian American who is assimilated and law-abiding and patriotic. Even if Zavala was a gang member or a drug dealer behavior like that cannot be tolerated. They are not the border patrol and the real authorities respect people's rights. Having said that, I've also been to MSNBC.com back during the illegal protests and a lot of Mexicans and other Hispanics have said many racist things about whites and blacks and many treasonous things about how parts of the nation belong to them.

I think, however that many of the people who posted on that website are probaby just extremists, and many also exaggerate things just to get attention. And don't worry about Pennsylvania's reputation suffering because of this tragedy. I would not have known about this thing if not for your post. If a Hispanic or a black man was beaten to death by 3 white guys in Mississippi or South Carolina it would be national news. The New York based media need to admit there is racism and intolerance in the Northeast too. At least in the South people know there is racism and are fixing it. You cannot fix things unless you admit you have a problem in the first place.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:07 PM

703 posts, read 1,547,240 times
This is pretty ugly stuff.

Great post.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:09 PM

Looks like CNN picked up on it:

Teens charged in fatal beating of Mexican immigrant - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/07/25/immigrant.killing.ap/index.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania