Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 06:14 PM

783 posts, read 2,022,879 times

Advertisements

Ok, I grew up in the Pittsburgh area where things are a bit different than NEPA. I see a fair amount of threads in the NEPA section, and I've heard a fair share of people on the streets, complaining about racism and bigotry in NEPA. A lot of times it's bizarre stuff, like "I was in this store...full of white people...and everyone was looking at me!" And then all of these self-righteous white people, nearly ashamed of their own race, apologize profusely for their fellow ignorant NEPAers. What's the deal here? How come nobody challenges these accusations of racism and bigotry? I know I have. I've told people that just because you're gay and someone cuts you off on the highway, doesn't mean they hate gay people. How would they even know you're gay?!?! And then several jerks will shamefully come forward, apologize for my behavior, and assure them that not everyone in NEPA is like me.

In Pittsburgh this behavior is not acceptable. If you call out the town for racism or bigotry you better have some damn good evidence to back it up. In NEPA, any wild accusation seems to be taken as the Holy Gospel. Things weren't always this way. Oh no. I remember years ago when I visited Scranton and they were the nicest people around, and knew it, so they didn't buy any of this crap. Something has changed now. People seem to be so weak, and ashamed of themselves and their community. It's sad. I see people that have lived here all of 6 months complaining about everything under the sun, and everyone puts their heads down out of embarrassment and apologizes. If I didn't know better I'd swear I was in NJ last week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 06:20 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
So what exactly is the point of your post other than to attempt to claim that there is no overt racism/bigotry in NEPA? I can safely assure you as a minority myself that there is an underlying sentiment of homophobia in our region (thanks largely to the spreading of fear from people like Bishop Martino), so what did I do? I voted with my feet and left for a more liberal area, as many of my peers are now doing as well while Scranton's politicians don't even know what the "Brain Drain" is supposed to mean!

Old 07-07-2009, 06:40 PM

79 posts, read 150,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
So what exactly is the point of your post other than to attempt to claim that there is no overt racism/bigotry in NEPA
He, like most conservatives, is apparently more interested in unfair accusations of discrimination than in actual discrimination.

That said, objectively, reported instances of discrimination in Lackawanna County are comparatively low among all PA counties. In 2007-2008 only 50 reported cases came from this county of nearly 4000 statewide (PHRC Annual Report (http://sites.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/PHRC/publications/literature/annualreport0708.pdf - broken link), pg. 26).

However, as you all know, sexual orientation is not protected from discrimination or harassment. So the report clearly doesn't reflect that form of bigotry.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:58 PM

567 posts, read 1,306,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
... It's sad. I see people that have lived here all of 6 months complaining about everything under the sun, and everyone puts their heads down out of embarrassment and apologizes. If I didn't know better I'd swear I was in NJ last week.
Time out... I was in NJ last week.. and no one complained about everything under the sun; or had their heads down in embarassment..

I was actually welcomed home with open arms and partied till 5 AM every night :-p....

I digress..
you really dont need hard evidence, to prove that alot of people out in the state of Pennsylvania as a whole, hold prejudices towards people based on stereotypes.. just sit in the foodcourt at the mall and watch. People dont necessarily need to say things. its in their body language.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:59 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,825,178 times
The reason that people may come off as racist in NEPA is that this area has traditionally been 99.9% white, up until recent years, BUT the vast majority of minorities that have come to this area are troublemakers (not all, but most), because they tend to be the ghetto types, not regular working class or middle or upper class people. They have mainly come here for welfare, section 8, or the drug trade. Trust me, I would have no problems having black people live next door to me if they're good people, but it doesn't seem like this area is attracting too many decent racial minorities. I do feel bad for the good minorities that live here, because they probably do get lumped in with the ghetto trash that has descended on the area. I did know of a black woman who lived in Scranton, and she moved away because she stated that she could not find a decent black man in this area.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:21 AM

1,251 posts, read 3,313,004 times
And yet, 90% of the minorities and ethnics I've actually come to know are decent, hardworking, educated people. Go figure.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:06 AM

996 posts, read 3,279,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
Ok, I grew up in the Pittsburgh area where things are a bit different than NEPA. I see a fair amount of threads in the NEPA section, and I've heard a fair share of people on the streets, complaining about racism and bigotry in NEPA. A lot of times it's bizarre stuff, like "I was in this store...full of white people...and everyone was looking at me!" And then all of these self-righteous white people, nearly ashamed of their own race, apologize profusely for their fellow ignorant NEPAers. What's the deal here? How come nobody challenges these accusations of racism and bigotry? I know I have. I've told people that just because you're gay and someone cuts you off on the highway, doesn't mean they hate gay people. How would they even know you're gay?!?! And then several jerks will shamefully come forward, apologize for my behavior, and assure them that not everyone in NEPA is like me.

In Pittsburgh this behavior is not acceptable. If you call out the town for racism or bigotry you better have some damn good evidence to back it up. In NEPA, any wild accusation seems to be taken as the Holy Gospel. Things weren't always this way. Oh no. I remember years ago when I visited Scranton and they were the nicest people around, and knew it, so they didn't buy any of this crap. Something has changed now. People seem to be so weak, and ashamed of themselves and their community. It's sad. I see people that have lived here all of 6 months complaining about everything under the sun, and everyone puts their heads down out of embarrassment and apologizes. If I didn't know better I'd swear I was in NJ last week.
I believe your last few sentences hit the nail on the head. The huge influx of NYC/liberal influence on the area has caused many lifelong residents to be made to feel ashamed of the values that they grew up with. It's no longer OK to be merely tolerant of those you don't agree with and mind your own business. Now we are expected to boycott our church because it doesn't support gay marriage, accept the rising crime rates due to drugs/gangs (most of which have NYC addresses), and put up with being called racist or bigots if we don't fully support/promote every minority event. I truly am tolerant of anyone that just wants to live peacefully among others; I'm just tired of being told that my way of life is wrong and I need to change to accomodate the lifestyle of others.

Somehow, our society is going to have to realize that skin color and/or sexual preferences don't make one group of people any more special than anyone else, but I don't see it happening any time soon.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:44 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
No one wants special treatment. They want equal treatment. Equal treatment doesn't mean homogenizing everyone so we all act/believe the same. It means that we all have the equal right to be treated fairly. Two different things.

Minority events like parades you mean? MLK day? No one that I know wants churches to go against their beliefs in gay marriage. But this country has something called seperation of church and state and as such religious views of marriage have no place in the decision to grant gays the right to marry. No one is advocating forcing churches to marry gays. Hell, some churches refuse to marry straight people - which is totally fine.

Bottom line is that we can be equal but still celebrate our differences. It's not a hard concept.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:14 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,531,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
No one wants special treatment. They want equal treatment. Equal treatment doesn't mean homogenizing everyone so we all act/believe the same. It means that we all have the equal right to be treated fairly. Two different things.

Minority events like parades you mean? MLK day? No one that I know wants churches to go against their beliefs in gay marriage. But this country has something called seperation of church and state and as such religious views of marriage have no place in the decision to grant gays the right to marry. No one is advocating forcing churches to marry gays. Hell, some churches refuse to marry straight people - which is totally fine.

Bottom line is that we can be equal but still celebrate our differences. It's not a hard concept.
Very well said!!!!

Old 07-08-2009, 11:24 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,531,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
So what exactly is the point of your post other than to attempt to claim that there is no overt racism/bigotry in NEPA? I can safely assure you as a minority myself that there is an underlying sentiment of homophobia in our region (thanks largely to the spreading of fear from people like Bishop Martino), so what did I do? I voted with my feet and left for a more liberal area, as many of my peers are now doing as well while Scranton's politicians don't even know what the "Brain Drain" is supposed to mean!
You were correct to leave the area...it is hopeless....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania