Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2008, 11:44 PM

134 posts, read 292,512 times

Advertisements

I just thought I would point out that the Poconos are a very different from the Wyoming Valley(Yes Scranton, its the same valley, look at a map).

It always seems as though when people think Poconos they think Scranton Wilkes-Barre when The Poconos actually end at the Wyoming Valley(fyi on the other side are the Endless Mountains,Tunkahnock,Towanda, Clarks Summit?) The 2 are very different places and have very different populations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 08:57 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,272,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconan View Post
I just thought I would point out that the Poconos are a very different from the Wyoming Valley(Yes Scranton, its the same valley, look at a map).

It always seems as though when people think Poconos they think Scranton Wilkes-Barre when The Poconos actually end at the Wyoming Valley(fyi on the other side are the Endless Mountains,Tunkahnock,Towanda, Clarks Summit?) The 2 are very different places and have very different populations.
Who thinks that The Wyoming Valley and the Pocono's are the same? That must be an outsiders view. The people around here know they are seperate, and don't mix the two together as far as I know? I've never heard of people saying that Wilkes-Barre or Scranton where in the Pocono's. Sounds like something that someone unfamiliar with the area would say perhaps.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:18 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconan View Post
(Yes Scranton, its the same valley, look at a map).
Lets. Google might show that but it's an illusion. The contiguous boroughs and towns make it appear that way. I've attached a topography map, there's an arrow that indicates where the Susquehanna enters the Wyoming Valley. You'll note that where the river enters the valley there is a large wide flat area of nearly the same elevation, this would be considered the floor of the valley. Surrounding areas are only slightly elevated an still pretty flat.

Above where the the river eneters the river Scranton and surrounding communities are pretty much cut off . e.g if you wanted to stay in the lowest elevations you only have a very narrow passgae to get there. Scranton and the areas surrounding it are quite hilly. Lastly I didn't check it but I believe the elevation of Scranton is quite a bit higher that the floor of the Wyoming Valley.

Last edited by thecoalman; 08-01-2020 at 05:30 PM..

Old 09-03-2008, 05:42 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Below is quoted from Wikipedia :
Ouote:
"The Pocono Mountains is a vaguely defined area encompassing Carbon, Monroe, Pike, and Wayne Counties of Pennsylvania [1], as well as portions of neighboring counties such as Susquehanna, Luzerne, and Lackawanna. The region of Northampton County from the Slate Belt northwards is also sometimes included[2]. In total, the Poconos encompasses over 2,500 square miles. The Poconos are mountainous, geologically a southwestern extension of the Catskills. The Poconos' highest summit, Elk Hill’s North Knob, reaches 2,693 feet (821 m), while its lowest elevation is 350 feet (107 m) in Pike County." End of Quote...

It seems there is so many different opinions on the boundaries of the Pocono Region. I think the information is of help to all of us in defining our local areas. It seems to state often words like "thereabouts", " around about there," " sometimes included" or " portions of". We're not fully defined I don't think.........very interesting.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:36 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,272,401 times
Yeah, I sometimes hear as the whole Northeast Pa. refered to as "The Pocono Northeast", on radio stations and TV stations, probably because the Pocono namebrand is the most recognizable name in our region. Other then that, I don't hear of the Wilkes Barre and Scranton areas being labeled as "The Poconos" very often (not from the locals anyway). I think they are two distinct areas with different demographics, different populations, different as in rural and urban, one is a rural resort destination, the other Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area is an urban old industrial city area . They really are two distictly, different areas. It doesn't bother me to labeled with the Pocono's. I'm not offended by that in anyway. I guess in depends on the person(s), and the way they see us.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:38 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,623,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
Who thinks that The Wyoming Valley and the Pocono's are the same? That must be an outsiders view. The people around here know they are seperate, and don't mix the two together as far as I know? I've never heard of people saying that Wilkes-Barre or Scranton where in the Pocono's. Sounds like something that someone unfamiliar with the area would say perhaps.

Most of the population of phoenix is from somewhere. So when having the "where ya from" conversation with a stranger I'll say i'm from wilkes-barre, in north east Pa. most not from the area consider all of eastern pa outside of philly the poconos. Then they ask me if the town scranton from the office really exists. Next time I'm home I need to pick up a few things for a friend, he is a huge office fan and about lost his mind when he learned scranton is real and we are from the area

Old 09-08-2008, 04:52 PM

I suppose I might have been actually trying to get the point across that NEPA is seperated into 2 very different areas , Wyoming Valley(the river dosent make a difference to me. Plymouth and Dickson City are the same mountain ridge)and the Poconos

Old 09-08-2008, 05:10 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61scout80 View Post
Then they ask me if the town scranton from the office really exists. Next time I'm home I need to pick up a few things for a friend, he is a huge office fan and about lost his mind when he learned scranton is real and we are from the area
SEE DAN!!! "The Office" HAS PUT SCRANTON ON THE MAP! TOLD YA SO! TOLD YA SO!

Old 09-08-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
SEE DAN!!! "The Office" HAS PUT SCRANTON ON THE MAP! TOLD YA SO! TOLD YA SO!
I am actually surprised that people know Scranton becasue of The Office. I wondered if they would ever come back after the first convention.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,237 times
As a native of the Poconos and the Valley, I can tell you this: When the Poconos end, it is at the Valley's eastern crest, as the Endless Mountains' border is at the western and northern crest of the valley.
The Poconos, Endless, Blue Ridge, Catskills etc ,are part of the Appalachians. The Blue Ridge is a 'branch' of the Apps that are entirely within the Apps. It runs from South Carolina to New York. In other words:
Appalachians (range)
Blue Ridge (area)
Poconos (small area)
Endless (small area)
Catskills (small area)
Wyoming Valley (valley of the Blue Ridge)
Lehigh Valley (valley of the Blue Ridge)
They are broken down for you above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania