Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has NEPA Cornered the Market on Terrible Drivers?
Yes 13 48.15%
No 12 44.44%
Blinker? What's That? 4 14.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 06:48 PM

25 posts, read 86,760 times

Advertisements

Try living in Atlanta. I love going back to PA to drive-absolutely no stress. Drivers in Atlanta are rude, inconsiderate, and dangerous. I am so glad that I don't have kids. Believe me, I would rather drive in PA anyday. I will be driving up that way in a few weeks and I always just pray that I make it out of this city-we have 7 lane highways and drivers with no insurance, no licenses, cracked windshields, road rage, and no consideration for human life-people down here are truly aggressive drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 06:52 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
Gosh, please drive slow........I so hate that many lanes. If there is a back way out, take it!

Old 09-21-2008, 06:58 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Gosh, please drive slow........I so hate that many lanes. If there is a back way out, take it!
I don't think it's all that bad. Two summers ago I was the "chauffeur" when my friends and I took a day-trip from our home in Crystal Beach, Ontario (not far from Buffalo) to Toronto. This was a completely spur of the moment trip where I just said "let's do it!" I drove us into the city, got off an exit near downtown, and then just drove around until I was lucky enough to find a safe yet inexpensive parking lot not far from the CN Tower. However we didn't realize that we had decided to leave for the afternoon right around 4:30 PM---rush hour! There must have been 7 or 8 lanes in each direction, all of which were bumper-to-bumper and moving along pretty smoothly. All I had to do was put on my blinker and within seconds someone in the adjacent lane would decelerate a bit to create a gap to permit me to get over. My guess was that they had a bit more patience for me since my vehicle obviously had a Pennsylvania plate. It was actually a very, very enjoyable experience.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:11 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
I can only say a true story.........Summering put herself to sleep ( never, ever, before) in the back of a van........because a Baltimore Beltway was coming up, and I couldn't stand the thought of it. All those lanes, bumper to bumper like the Pocono Racetrack... One way of that was enough.
I woke up when it was overwith........
Something I never did before, nor after... I don't sleep in a car......LOL
We take the long way down 81 and thru on 17 to hit 95 now. Worth any extra time, Oh yeah!

Old 09-21-2008, 07:21 PM

641 posts, read 2,370,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
I can only say a true story.........Summering put herself to sleep ( never, ever, before) in the back of a van........because a Baltimore Beltway was coming up, and I couldn't stand the thought of it. All those lanes, bumper to bumper like the Pocono Racetrack... One way of that was enough.
I woke up when it was overwith........
Something I never did before, nor after... I don't sleep in a car......LOL
We take the long way down 81 and thru on 17 to hit 95 now. Worth any extra time, Oh yeah!
Driving on the beltway is fun. Sometimes when I have hit the beltway in the past I couldn't help but drive like a maniac. All those lanes....I love it.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:48 PM

923 posts, read 3,094,744 times
You ain't seen nothin' till you drive in South Florida !!!!!!!! I have seen cars sticking out of scrub rows !!! On top of dog houses !!! And the poor old soul driver is just standing there dazed. There was one accident where a 90+ year old driver plowed into 5 old folks waiting for a bus, within their complex, one 80+ women was on his hood hanging onto the windshield wiper screaming. Three of those people died !!
I have seen LOTS of old Florida folks park their car, put the walker out and then lift their legs out of the car !!! Scary !!! Big time scary !!! But in Florida they won't stop them from driving because they will get mad and stop VOTING !!!!! And the majority of the vote in Florida is senior citizen !!!

Old 09-21-2008, 07:51 PM

193 posts, read 542,656 times
You know i live on a road that is supposely by 40mph. but out of fun the other day we sat in the front porch and used the radar gun. They slowest car was going 50 the fastest 70 that really scares me i have children playing in the front. It scares me that i live in a very rural area and people drive like this!

Old 09-21-2008, 11:18 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebunnie69 View Post
You know i live on a road that is supposely by 40mph. but out of fun the other day we sat in the front porch and used the radar gun. They slowest car was going 50 the fastest 70 that really scares me i have children playing in the front. It scares me that i live in a very rural area and people drive like this!
The road I live on is 45 mph and I swear one dude went by recently at 80-90mph, nearly out of control as well. Checking the mail is a dodgy proposition.

I'd invite the police out to your property to run radar and write tickets when traffic is busy. Or take plate numbers and file a complaint. I've done it before. Over a decade ago when I lived in a housing development with a 25 mph limit, the way our street was set up as slightly downhill, with a blind left plunging down a hill, encouraged speeds of over 50 mph. It was usually the after school crowd in their rolling stereos. You know the type with the sonic boom from the stereos, the backwards baseball cap, seat as far back and as low as possible, steering the car with the one wrist. The police presence helped upon request, but when that disappeared eventually the high speeds returned.

Now I'm not against speed in certain situations, say West Texas on the interstate or on a race track, but in a neighborhood with kids riding bikes and playing, no. A solution, perhaps, is that cars require tires filled with air that go round and round. A tire with no air cannot do such and by default the car remains immobile, until such tires can be reinflated.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:05 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,625,759 times
I would love to have the drivers from NEPA out here instead of what we have. Maybe then my insurance could go back to the $100 a month it was there instead of $300 a month it is here!

Old 09-22-2008, 01:14 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,454,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkotb View Post
You ain't seen nothin' till you drive in South Florida !!!!!!!! I have seen cars sticking out of scrub rows !!! On top of dog houses !!! And the poor old soul driver is just standing there dazed. There was one accident where a 90+ year old driver plowed into 5 old folks waiting for a bus, within their complex, one 80+ women was on his hood hanging onto the windshield wiper screaming. Three of those people died !!
I have seen LOTS of old Florida folks park their car, put the walker out and then lift their legs out of the car !!! Scary !!! Big time scary !!! But in Florida they won't stop them from driving because they will get mad and stop VOTING !!!!! And the majority of the vote in Florida is senior citizen !!!
LOL!! This brings back a news story I read from a few years back...

I think it was in DelRay Beach or Boca down here. An 80+ lady named Tilly pulled out of her driveway & started down her street. She ran up on the sidewalk & took out a bunch of garbage cans & a few mailboxes & then got back on the street & proceeded to go up on the opposite sidewalk & took out some more mailboxes.

She then proceeded to ram through a home's fence while driving between houses, smacked into a dumpster on the next street (blowing out her left back tire), smashed through another home's fence (ripping off her front bumper) made it onto the next street (after taking out some more mailboxes & blowing out her right back tire), careened onto the main street (crossing over the raised island in the middle where she lost her muffler & tailpipe), continued driving 2 more miles & pulled into the WalMart parking lot!!

Police arrived as she was getting out of her car & she had no recollection of anything except she needed nose-spray from WalMart!!!

You just can't make this stuff up folks!! I remember laughing my you-know-what off about it, but the truth is...IT'S SCARY!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania