Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 08:40 PM

538 posts, read 2,458,770 times

Advertisements

Sorry about the silly title, but I am serious! I recently lost a job in Binghamton that I was about to relocate to . My plan was to move to Scranton or Syracuse and commute 2-3 times a week into Binghamton. Just as we started looking at rentals in each metro, the job fell through (they are closing down instead). Well, to make a long story short, I have gotten a new job, unfortunately it is in Northwest NJ and I can't afford to buy a house there.

So ultimately, from all the good things I have heard on here regarding Pike County, we have decided 100% to make a move here in 4 weeks time! So if anyone here has advice (winnie, bamboosmom, SWB, anyone!) this is the criteria we must meet:

1. Must live close to NJ, and preferably in Delaware Valley SD. Basically, if I understand correctly, this means Milford, Shohola, Dingman, Delaware, and Westfall Townships. So far, we really like Dingman's Ferry and Milford. I have not been to the other townships.

2. We are looking to purchase a home within 1 year. Maximum price we can afford is around $200k.

3. Prefer not to be in a subdivision, but I realize that this is hard to find. So a subdivision with minimal HOA fees and rules. A subdivision we would prefer would be with many year-round residents.

4. I noticed that many homes there heat with electric- Yikes! What does this end up costing? Is it possible to equip a home with oil to save money?

5. Where is the nearest hospital, or does one need to go to NJ or Scranton?

6. This area seems generally crime-free? Is there an element of crime moving in like in Monroe County?

Thats it for now. I can't wait to leave NJ and move back to my home state of Pennsylvania!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 05:21 AM

991 posts, read 4,619,476 times
I believe the nearest hopital is Bon Secuors in Port Jervis, NY. I heard good things about it.

Old 04-18-2007, 05:37 AM

620 posts, read 2,056,573 times
Mazel Tov! I wanted to comment on your heating concern. My family has been in the HVAC business for my whole life--electric baseboard heat is obviously the cheapest way to go when constructing a house. It is particularly common in summer homes, which make up a great deal of the residences in Monroe and Pike counties. One interesting thing to consider though is that the price of electric heat is expected to be comparable to the price of oil within the next 2 to 3 years as oil prices rise. So, from a cost perspective, it is not a huge drawback. It is also easy to replace if it breaks.
The best thing you could for your homes heating cost and to respect the environment is upgrade whatever house you buy to geothermal heat. Your heating costs will be unbelievably low and it is a very green solution. The initial cost of the upgrade is prohibitive for most people, but if you plan to live in this house for more than 15 years, you'll make the money back. So, that's my rant on my heating costs.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:55 AM

Default Pike County blows

Where should Phish go in Pike County? My answer is nowhere. Pike County is not a nice area to live in. They're cutting down all the trees and putting in shopping centers. And the only places to live are in highly restrictive gated compounds, basically prisons. When I went up there, I was told that you can't even own a gun if you live in one of these compounds. But judging from your hippie name (Phishhead), I'm sure that your a gun control liberal anyway.

I would stay in NJ where your most comfortable

Old 04-18-2007, 01:53 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,098,308 times
Phish would go in the Delaware River. lol

There are plenty of homes in Dingmans that are not in HOAs, but the tend to come with more land and are therefore priced higher. Not always though. Matamoras is also in the DV school district, but it would be a longer drive for you so you may as well leave it out. If you need to commute to NJ, I would stick with Milford or Dingman/Delaware twps. My mother lives in Dingmans Ferry and she has 2 propane fireplaces in the home, and almost never needs to turn on the electric heat; the fireplaces are enough to heat all 2 stories. There is very low crime in the area. Forrest's answer is silly; almost all the new major shopping centers are concentrated in the Westfall area. Pike County remains overall quite rural. And if guns are a concern, the area is very gun friendly due to the number of hunters. When I was in high school (gosh, 10+ years ago at this point...getting old!) school was closed the first day of hunting season! Don't know if that still happens, but that tells you how popular hunting is up there.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:15 PM

937 posts, read 2,890,329 times
Default As far as heating is concerned

Get a coal stove!!! We have one in the basement and it is the most affordable heat. We also have the electric heat but only turn it on when it gets below 30 degrees or when we just want a little extra warmth. The coal stove keeps us warm and toasty most of the time. Our electric bill from Feb to March was $119.00. The coal delivery we got in March ran about $670. and that was for 5 tons which should last through next winter also.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Gump View Post
Where should Phish go in Pike County? My answer is nowhere. Pike County is not a nice area to live in. They're cutting down all the trees and putting in shopping centers. And the only places to live are in highly restrictive gated compounds, basically prisons. When I went up there, I was told that you can't even own a gun if you live in one of these compounds. But judging from your hippie name (Phishhead), I'm sure that your a gun control liberal anyway.

I would stay in NJ where your most comfortable
You are quite a joyful person, aren't you? I shouldn't even dignify you with a response- I don't want this thread to get nasty and get shut down. I'm looking for REAL answers, and your answers were simply false. As I have been exploring Pike County for a number of weeks now, I can tell you that there are still plenty of trees and nature left. Also, although I don't personally own a gun, I am a liberatarian and I believe that you should live and let live. I am FAR from a "gun-control liberal".

Why should I stay in NJ, when I was raised much of my life in PA? Where are you from?

Old 04-18-2007, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Phish would go in the Delaware River. lol

There are plenty of homes in Dingmans that are not in HOAs, but the tend to come with more land and are therefore priced higher. Not always though. Matamoras is also in the DV school district, but it would be a longer drive for you so you may as well leave it out. If you need to commute to NJ, I would stick with Milford or Dingman/Delaware twps. My mother lives in Dingmans Ferry and she has 2 propane fireplaces in the home, and almost never needs to turn on the electric heat; the fireplaces are enough to heat all 2 stories. There is very low crime in the area. Forrest's answer is silly; almost all the new major shopping centers are concentrated in the Westfall area. Pike County remains overall quite rural. And if guns are a concern, the area is very gun friendly due to the number of hunters. When I was in high school (gosh, 10+ years ago at this point...getting old!) school was closed the first day of hunting season! Don't know if that still happens, but that tells you how popular hunting is up there.
Thank you for the information. Is it still possible to get a 3 bed/2 bath on at least 1/2 acres in the Delaware Valley SD for under $200k? I am probably about your age, as I graduated 12 years ago from high school, so I'm not really making the kind of money that older people make!

What kind of shopping is in Westfall? Lowes, Walmart, Target, and such?

Guns are not a concern for me- Forrest has no idea what he's talking about (TROLL).....I'm glad to hear that there are many places to buy a home without being in a subdivision. Where can I look for these homes in my price range?

Thanks again, christina0001.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memoriesbre View Post
Get a coal stove!!! We have one in the basement and it is the most affordable heat. We also have the electric heat but only turn it on when it gets below 30 degrees or when we just want a little extra warmth. The coal stove keeps us warm and toasty most of the time. Our electric bill from Feb to March was $119.00. The coal delivery we got in March ran about $670. and that was for 5 tons which should last through next winter also.
Jiminy Crickets! Where do you store 5 tons of coal????!!!!! Also, how about wood pellet stoves?

Old 04-18-2007, 06:01 PM

470 posts, read 1,708,338 times
Hey Phish - from one Liberatarian to another -

We just purchased a home in Dingmans Ferry. To me, the association rules seem pretty loose compared to California. Westfall has Walmart, Kmart, and Lowes that I know of. There is a multi-plex movie theater under construction, and I have heard an Outback Steakhouse is going in as well.

I've been told there is a Target and a Trader Joe's within an hour's drive.

There is an amazing Italian deli/gourmet grocery I've eaten at in Milford (thanks to Winnie for the suggestion). Port Jervis has the best breakfast place I've ever eaten at.

Coal stove - that sounds interesting. The water well and septic tank were unfamiliar to me - it's been an education. Also, I learned that an acre of land is a big front and back yard. I used to think an acre was a farm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania