Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 08:51 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyinpa View Post
if I want to just want to comment back to you, what do I hit. theres 3 choices. this thread thing new to me, but I like.
You can send me a direct message or leave a comment on my public profile.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:03 AM

9 posts, read 28,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Stephanie, don't get me started about the illegal immigration problem. Our mayor and the current administration thinks it's all right that they come here and set up shop and they don't get punished for breaking our laws. Don't worry about it, they're here, there's nothing we can do about it, is their mantra. They say it makes the city more diverse. BULL!!! I don't think any of them are living near him in his mansion in Green Ridge. He might employ them as his gardener or pool boy, that's about how close he would get to an illegal.
Did ya ever notice how different the estimated count of illegals varies nationwide. First off, how long are they going to hang on to twelve million. That probably changed a week later. I've worked in prisons. They break down the population by race. White,black, and Hispanic. There is a large number of hispanics in each cell block. If I use 12 million nation wide, that means most hispanics are jail birds. Poof, now all the sudden the numbers are different. Maybe three times that amount. Twelve million my ass. Maybe per year. I know a very large number of illegals. And they know my beef is with uncle sam, not them. But I want them out. I should not have to spend even one cent on them. It's my money--nobody helps me. Tired of paying for their way too often pregnancies.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:14 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Petition the city government to invest in urban development and city parks and try to get them to develop the Lackawanna River any small thin to improve the city will have a chain reaction until it grows into a very big thing.

I'm not sure what you have out there in NE but lets start with our "government".......

Our city admin is the reason that the city is right where it is. They have spent hundreds of millions of dollars on useless projects and then turned around and increased taxes...We have the second highest wage tax in the state......Our city is over $500,000,000 in long term debt for just the last 8 years...Thats right! They started with a $7,000,000 budget surplus and now we are over a half of billion in long term debt with nothing to show for it in 7 years.

We have the most expensive dog park in the nation...I dare you to find a public dog park that cost $350,000 to build in an existing park.

The roads are a mess, public service is a joke...The mayor has held our police and fire contracts up for 7 years in court because he doesn't like to lose and has cost the taxpayers millions in appeals fighting the unions.....We now have half if not less cops on the streets then we did 7 years ago. They also have not had any raises in 8 years.

Our population in the city is decreasing because no one wants to be here..Its getting more expensive every year to stay in Scranton and most families want out......They are leaving a HUGE HOUSING surplus in the city, so the city gov't and the mayors buddies decide to build what? $40,000,000 in taxpayer funded downtown housing with condos and lofts for a city that has a HUGE HOUSING SURPLUS and a dead downtown....Remember our downtown shuts down at 6pm everynight except for the mall...Saturdays are a ghost town and sunday you could drive a golf ball down any street and not hit a thing.

The same mayor just took $90,000 from the homeless shelter grant fund to give to another buddy that is trying take over our public access tv channels for the mayor...so that our gov't meetings will not be broadcast. What about the homeless population? They just found a homeless man dead in a tent the other day after a cold night here in the city. Given the economy of the nation right now I would think that the population is only going to increase......

Paul seems to think that the negative image of the city is the responsiblity of the council speakers and that is HUGE stretch and it could absolutely have nothing to do with the fact that the city is a mess and the gov't is a huge corrupt machine that is taking advantage of the taxpayers and benefiting from it.

The Lackawanna River is a jewel in the city but its better to be left alone, because as soon as they mess with it or touch it, it will no longer be the Class A trout river that it is......Leave it alone or we will lose it.

I am the president of a neighborhood assoc here in the city and our neighborhood as been allowed to flood twice....Thats right ALLOWED to flood. The city stood by and did nothing during the flood and for a week after the water was gone. They have not provided us with any additional protection while we wait for the Army Coprs to finish. We were promised a flood siren so that we would have an early warning when the water comes again and yet nothing..$20,000 for siren cannot be found but we can give the admin $3500 a year raises......The mayor has spent around $15,000,000 hiring his friends unqualified kids to work for the admin and then millions for consultants to help them to do the jobs they are not qualified for, but there isn't $20,000 to protect the residents.

I spoke out against the city on several issues and I continue to be extremely outspoken for change in Scranton. Guess what I get for it? MY family gets threatened, my property has been vandalized......Phone calls at all hours of the night, hatemail and DEATH threats...I have met with the FBI on more then one occassion. They don't like to be exposed and they don't like to have their wasteful expeditures put out there for the public to see and they are willing to go to some extreme measures to try and stop it.

Paul doesn't even live in Scranton, he doesn't even live on his own. His ideas are great but not for this city. You need to take that into account about Paul...His ideas are going to cost US more money and while they are great visions, they come with a price and Scranton cannot afford them....

We have those that blindly follow the mayor and will tell you that the city is not that bad or its just me and a few malcontents but what you are starting to see in the local paper and around the city are people that are done with this admin and they done with the lack of progress and the huge price tag that has come with ...well nothing for lack of a better word....., they are done with the mayor......The supporters of the current admin are starting to become the minority in the city and its about time because we need a change...The residents and the city cannot afford another 4 years of Doherty debt.

Hat, I love this city and my family has been in this neighborhood and these homes for over a hundred years....I will not let a corrupt city admin and their supporters run me out......Scranton will be a great city but there is much that needs to be done to change the status quo around here and shift it back to the people and not the few families that have controlled it for years.

Habenae pro populus , per populus quod publicus!

Old 10-11-2008, 09:23 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,554,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
And should be treated as such. Nor are they "undocumented" as the politically correct like to put it. Illegals give real "documented" legal immigrants a bad name.
Why doesn't Scranton get someone in power like the Mayor of Hazelton. If my memory serves me correctly, he was trying to fight against the illegals...........heck, I can tell you for a fact one of the illegal immigrants killed someone we knew back in Rockland County, New City because the contractor never knew he had a record a mile long.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:45 AM

3,340 posts, read 9,689,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
I'm not sure what you have out there in NE but lets start with our "government".......

Our city admin is the reason that the city is right where it is. They have spent hundreds of millions of dollars on useless projects and then turned around and increased taxes...We have the second highest wage tax in the state......Our city is over $500,000,000 in long term debt for just the last 8 years...Thats right! They started with a $7,000,000 budget surplus and now we are over a half of billion in long term debt with nothing to show for it in 7 years.

We have the most expensive dog park in the nation...I dare you to find a public dog park that cost $350,000 to build in an existing park.

The roads are a mess, public service is a joke...The mayor has held our police and fire contracts up for 7 years in court because he doesn't like to lose and has cost the taxpayers millions in appeals fighting the unions.....We now have half if not less cops on the streets then we did 7 years ago. They also have not had any raises in 8 years.

Our population in the city is decreasing because no one wants to be here..Its getting more expensive every year to stay in Scranton and most families want out......They are leaving a HUGE HOUSING surplus in the city, so the city gov't and the mayors buddies decide to build what? $40,000,000 in taxpayer funded downtown housing with condos and lofts for a city that has a HUGE HOUSING SURPLUS and a dead downtown....Remember our downtown shuts down at 6pm everynight except for the mall...Saturdays are a ghost town and sunday you could drive a golf ball down any street and not hit a thing.

The same mayor just took $90,000 from the homeless shelter grant fund to give to another buddy that is trying take over our public access tv channels for the mayor...so that our gov't meetings will not be broadcast. What about the homeless population? They just found a homeless man dead in a tent the other day after a cold night here in the city. Given the economy of the nation right now I would think that the population is only going to increase......

Paul seems to think that the negative image of the city is the responsiblity of the council speakers and that is HUGE stretch and it could absolutely have nothing to do with the fact that the city is a mess and the gov't is a huge corrupt machine that is taking advantage of the taxpayers and benefiting from it.

The Lackawanna River is a jewel in the city but its better to be left alone, because as soon as they mess with it or touch it, it will no longer be the Class A trout river that it is......Leave it alone or we will lose it.

I am the president of a neighborhood assoc here in the city and our neighborhood as been allowed to flood twice....Thats right ALLOWED to flood. The city stood by and did nothing during the flood and for a week after the water was gone. They have not provided us with any additional protection while we wait for the Army Coprs to finish. We were promised a flood siren so that we would have an early warning when the water comes again and yet nothing..$20,000 for siren cannot be found but we can give the admin $3500 a year raises......The mayor has spent around $15,000,000 hiring his friends unqualified kids to work for the admin and then millions for consultants to help them to do the jobs they are not qualified for, but there isn't $20,000 to protect the residents.

I spoke out against the city on several issues and I continue to be extremely outspoken for change in Scranton. Guess what I get for it? MY family gets threatened, my property has been vandalized......Phone calls at all hours of the night, hatemail and DEATH threats...I have met with the FBI on more then one occassion. They don't like to be exposed and they don't like to have their wasteful expeditures put out there for the public to see and they are willing to go to some extreme measures to try and stop it.

Paul doesn't even live in Scranton, he doesn't even live on his own. His ideas are great but not for this city. You need to take that into account about Paul...His ideas are going to cost US more money and while they are great visions, they come with a price and Scranton cannot afford them....

We have those that blindly follow the mayor and will tell you that the city is not that bad or its just me and a few malcontents but what you are starting to see in the local paper and around the city are people that are done with this admin and they done with the lack of progress and the huge price tag that has come with ...well nothing for lack of a better word....., they are done with the mayor......The supporters of the current admin are starting to become the minority in the city and its about time because we need a change...The residents and the city cannot afford another 4 years of Doherty debt.

Hat, I love this city and my family has been in this neighborhood and these homes for over a hundred years....I will not let a corrupt city admin and their supporters run me out......Scranton will be a great city but there is much that needs to be done to change the status quo around here and shift it back to the people and not the few families that have controlled it for years.

Habenae pro populus , per populus quod publicus!
Holy s***! Thats the dumbest mayor ever, that amount of debt is big enough for a medium sized country.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:10 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,781,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie P View Post
Sounds like it's time to bring in the Border Patrol. My ex-husband is a supervisor in the B.P., but he works in North Dakota.
Thank your politicians for allowing this to happen. They like to look the other way while thousands of illegal aliens cross the border. What gets me so mad is there are so many people without medical insurance, and are denied Medicaid. Yet, the hospitals can get emergency Medicaid approval for all the illegals that go there. Please explain that to me.
Sorry, just wanted to put my 2 cents in.

You got it and they are coming in droves, and they get everything.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:21 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,781,176 times
Oh and i forgot, they come to this country illegal, but they keep having babies, one in a stoller, one walking next to the stroller, and one in the oven, and we are paying for all of this. Ugh!!!

Old 10-11-2008, 10:56 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
So what's the answer, folks? We've been beating around the bush on this forum for over two years now as to whether Scranton hinges upon the cusp of a renaissance or utter failure. What should we do? Should we drop a nuclear bomb on the Electric City and start over? Obviously these circular arguments have gotten the city NOWHERE over the past few years.

P.S. For those of you saying that these Internet forums mean nothing, you are sadly mistaken. This forum now has roughly a half-million members along with millions of unique visitors. Do a search for something Scranton-oriented on Google, and a thread from this forum undoubtedly arises near the top of your results. To imply that the city's government is unaware of what is happening on this forum, Doherty Deceit, and every other Scranton-centric forum out there is ludicrous. If a "know-nothing" like me can attract over 5,000,000 people to read what I have to type, then obviously this forum's power spreads much further than you'll ever know.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:42 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHighHat View Post
Why doesn't Scranton get someone in power like the Mayor of Hazelton. If my memory serves me correctly, he was trying to fight against the illegals...........heck, I can tell you for a fact one of the illegal immigrants killed someone we knew back in Rockland County, New City because the contractor never knew he had a record a mile long.
I like Lou Barletta. At least he was pro-active about the illegal problem in his city, unlike King Chris who sits on his throne in his mansion in Green Ridge.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:57 AM

325 posts, read 806,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
Oh and i forgot, they come to this country illegal, but they keep having babies, one in a stoller, one walking next to the stroller, and one in the oven, and we are paying for all of this. Ugh!!!
Many people in various areas of the country are concerned about the problem of illegal aliens, not just Scranton. However, it's interesting that you hear so much about the illegal aliens and so little about the people who are hiring them. While I do not condone entering another country illegally, I feel morally obligated to point out that illegal aliens were often living in terrible poverty in their own countries and in coming here they were doing what they believed was best to help their children--which is basically the same thing that many of us would do if we had had the misfortune to be born in an impoverished country where there is little chance of ever building a better life for the next generation. If you want to get mad at someone, why not get mad at employers who don't want to pay decent wages and knowingly hire illegal aliens?

Illegal aliens may make a convenient target, but Scranton's problems--like those of many other small cities around the country--go a lot deeper. If you concentrate on illegal aliens, you're likely to miss the many other real problems which, I assure you, would still remain even if every illegal were to go back to his/her country tomorrow morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania