Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 09:09 AM

4 posts, read 6,177 times

Advertisements

Wow, I've been a lurker for quite some time and haven't lived in NEPA since '04, but this is a thread that I feel the need to comment on. My wife and I both grew up in Susquehanna County and lived in Kingston for 5 years after high school and we are both very excited to be moving back in the coming months. We have both lived in few other locations and currently live just outside Washington, DC. We miss home, our friends and family. We miss how great small town life is - sure there are some things not found in a big city but that does not make up for the rude, self indulgent types that make up 90% of the 'big city' population. NEPA has a lot to offer (maybe except for a job market) and offers a great place to raise a family.

Just my .02 though,

By the way - Hello everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 09:16 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,400,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Thank you though for your need to enlighten us "hicks" from way out there in the Valhalla of Hawaii. I'll remember how inbred I am when I'm driving my Audi TT Roadster through CT with a Starbucks thermos in the center console compartment, an Enya CD in my player, and an iPhone at the ready to take important business calls that I likely won't be able to understand because I'm a product of our sub-par area.
What happened to the Mini Cooper?!?!?!?!? It has more personality than the Audi, IMHO.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:20 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPAChiro View Post
Wow, I've been a lurker for quite some time and haven't lived in NEPA since '04, but this is a thread that I feel the need to comment on. My wife and I both grew up in Susquehanna County and lived in Kingston for 5 years after high school and we are both very excited to be moving back in the coming months. We have both lived in few other locations and currently live just outside Washington, DC. We miss home, our friends and family. We miss how great small town life is - sure there are some things not found in a big city but that does not make up for the rude, self indulgent types that make up 90% of the 'big city' population. NEPA has a lot to offer (maybe except for a job market) and offers a great place to raise a family.

Just my .02 though,

By the way - Hello everyone!
Hello to you NEPAChiro.......Welcome and thank you for enjoying the state as much as we certainly do. Please stop by often, and feel free to post.
Opinions of all types are welcome here. We don't always agree, but thats ok. There is always room for one, or two, or a hundred more.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:20 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
What happened to the Mini Cooper?!?!?!?!? It has more personality than the Audi, IMHO.
Yes, but does it have more sex appeal?

Old 10-20-2008, 09:22 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,400,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diapason05 View Post
Leave NEPA. Maybe even the state. I left after high school and I've lived in 5 different states now, and I am never coming back. I don't want to be too mean, but since the area is so toxic with pollution, ( 7 people on my street in Larksville had cancer), I recommend leaving for that reason only.
I laughed when the National news covered the gross intolerance of Hispanics going on up there. It's so so disgusting, but expected.
I wasn't surprised that some people (during this campaign) said people from PA were "bitter" and "racist". A lot people in NEPA are that way.
There are also good people there who don't know any better, because they only know what they've been taught. Chances are a lot of people are this way.

If people were better educated and if the area were a little more diverse, I don't think it would be so bad.

Everyone I have ever met whose left NEPA (and PA) always ALWAYS says "Thank GOD I got out of there".

You have no idea how bad it is until you LEAVE.
I'm actually looking to move to PA and I've found that people are friendlier and more courteous than where I'm leaving - the land of strip malls and insane taxes. So, I guess it's to each their own. However, Hawaii is an awesome state, and I'd love to live there, but haven't won lotto or fallen for a very rich man yet.

Overall though, I think you find around you what you project, and if you expect people to be a certain way, you will somehow draw those people to you. I try to be happy and find that I do find other happy people. Those that are bitter, I avoid. Life is too short to let someone drag you into their misery. I'm glad you've found a place that makes you happy and that you fit. Not everywhere is a fit for everyone. Sometimes it takes more work than people are willing to put into a place to really be happy.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:23 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
Oh yes, SWB was always the Mini Cooper....hummm.
He's leaving us behind for the state of Conn. and a fancier car..........
It would just never feel very right here without him......now what ?

Old 10-20-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Oh yes, SWB was always the Mini Cooper....hummm.
He's leaving us behind for the state of Conn. and a fancier car..........
It would just never feel very right here without him......now what ?
I'll be back!!! Trust me on that one! Hopefully I'll have a lot more life experiences under my belt that will permit me to do some great things in about a decade when I doth returneth.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:47 AM

39 posts, read 88,017 times
When I was a senior in high school, my I was primarily looking to stay in the area for college. People told me the best thing to do was to leave the area to see different places. So that is what I did. NEPA will always be home and there many things I miss, but I can't see myself returning for a while.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:59 AM

57 posts, read 106,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diapason05 View Post
Leave NEPA. Maybe even the state. I left after high school and I've lived in 5 different states now, and I am never coming back.

You have no idea how bad it is until you LEAVE.
Sometimes, someone makes a place better simply by leaving.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPandy View Post
Sometimes, someone makes a place better simply by leaving.
Gee, I wonder who else this might apply to?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania