Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 12:25 PM

3 posts, read 3,764 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone:
New to this forum. I'm in the process of gathering information regardingrestaurant/bar sales as it relates to the implementation of the smoking ban. From my own personal survey, 14 establishments in Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Old Forge and Pittston, the members of the staff that I have interviewed have indicated a tremendous decrease in sales and gratuities. I would appreciate your own observations, not opinions, as it relates to this subject.

The information will be used in a thesis and will not reference any individual's comments.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 12:31 PM

106,771 posts, read 108,973,015 times
We have had a total ban in new york now for years. it has noooooooooooooo impact at all .

Old 11-06-2008, 12:33 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,830,622 times
It doesn't look to me that sales are down at all due to the smoking ban. I think restaurant sales are down because the economy stinks and eating out is probably the first thing most people cut from their budget when money is tight. I don't eat out half as much as I used to.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:37 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,657,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
It doesn't look to me that sales are down at all due to the smoking ban. I think restaurant sales are down because the economy stinks and eating out is probably the first thing most people cut from their budget when money is tight. I don't eat out half as much as I used to.
Bingo! With the stock market declining by roughly 900 points between yesterday and today people are still too cautious to be engaging in the frivolity of dining out excessively the way they may have during the economic boom years of the Clinton administration. Now that people's 401k's are becoming anemic and everyone heads into work wondering if they're going to be in the next round of "corporate downsizing" or not, people aren't going to be hitting up Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, Bella Vino, Patsel's, or hell even Coney Island Weiners as much as they used to. Dining out is a luxury activity used with discretionary income. When that discretionary income becomes very, very limited, then naturally one will head to the store to buy a can of Campbell's soup to have for dinner as opposed to heading out for a $15 tab for a burger, fries, and a drink or two at a mid-range restaurant, including gratuity.

I myself have cut back here, and I LOVE eating out!

Old 11-06-2008, 12:47 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,771,212 times
What they said!

Old 11-06-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
What they said!
Stop mocking Sarah Palin!

Old 11-06-2008, 01:06 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,457,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
you betcha!

Old 11-06-2008, 01:12 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,628,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I completely agree. i would love to see a study of the financial impact of a smoking ban, and i think the way to go about it is to survey smokers. the economic crash has effected every aspect of our economy, especially luxuries like eating out. Even circuit city is feeling the heat, here in phoenix all 12 of the circuit city stores are shutting down, including at least 2 stores that are only about a year old

If you survey servers and restaurant owners you will get a medley of issues hurting their profits, the smoking ban just happened to be enacted at the beginning of a serious down turn.

Quote:
Who is that?

Old 11-06-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
you betcha!
"I can see Scranton from my house!" (Doesn't that make me qualified for inter-county government?)

Old 11-06-2008, 01:20 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,457,851 times
Quote:
"I can see Scranton from my house!" (Doesn't that make me qualified for inter-county government?)
Just go out & buy a new wardrobe...you'll feel better...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania