Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2009, 07:01 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times

Advertisements

Valiant Trooper Miller honored by thousands | Wilkes-Barre News | The Times Leader

34-year-old PA state police trooper Joshua D. Miller of Pittston Township, my rapidly growing yet close-knit hometown, was laid to rest today after a memorial service at Pittston Area High School, his alma mater, which attracted thousands upon thousands of grieving onlookers, including representatives of law enforcement agencies from 48 states as well as numerous local and state politicians, including Governor Ed Rendell and U.S. Senator Bob Casey, and various strangers from the community who wanted to say "thanks" to our state's first fallen trooper since 2005.

Miller was involved in a high-speed police pursuit along Route 611 in Monroe County in which the driver had abducted his 9-year-old son from his estranged wife's grasp. At the end of the chase Trooper Miller cautiously approached the driver's side door with his gun drawn and was promptly shot by the suspect, who was also shot and killed by him and other responding officers. His colleague, Trooper Robert Lombardo of Pittston, brother of former city mayor Michael Lombardo, was also wounded in the stand-off, but Miller's quick distraction of the driver and valiant efforts to turn the attention to himself prevented the father from causing any further harm to his young son, who was simultaneously rescued by other officers while the gunfight was occurring.

Given the ugly turn this forum took last week in regards to the Scranton city officers who gunned down the mentally-challenged knife-wielding woman in the Electric City I just thought it would be appropriate to highlight a true HERO who paid the ultimate sacrifice to save a young boy's life. Over 600 cars and 52 motorcycles were in the funeral procession that went from Yatesville, Luzerne County, to Laceyville, Wyoming County.

Trooper Miller leaves behind a widow and three young daughters. While I'm not the biggest fan of Governor Ed Rendell he most certainly warrants my praise for this quote:

“I lost my father when I was 14 and he didn’t die a heroic death like your Dad did. Every day since his death I think of him and wonder what advice he’d give me as I struggle with difficult decisions. You haven’t lost your Dad; his memory will be with you for the rest of your life.”

(Quote taken directly from Wilkes-Barre Times-Leader)

Today would have been Trooper Miller's 35th birthday. God bless the Miller family and the Greater Pittston community as they both try to heal from this senseless act of violence! Why have there been so many homicides in NEPA as of late? I have not had ONE here in my area of NoVA yet, and I live in a VERY densely-populated area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 07:25 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Amazingly enough there are zero comments on the web site of the Wilkes-Barre Times-Leader in reference to this article, and while there are dozens on the web site of the Scranton Times-Tribune most are negative in nature as people bicker back-and-forth about some rather ill-timed and very inappropriate anti-cop remarks made by a few people. Here's the link to the article in the Scranton paper for those interested in reading:

Final farewell to a fallen trooper - The Times-Tribune (http://scrantontimes.com/cm/2.1188/final_farewell_to_a_fallen_trooper?firstComment=40 #articleComments - broken link)

I just can't believe some of the comments. I was raised to respect and to honor our men and women in uniform---ANY uniform---as they were being paid to keep us safe. I know I was one of those who ruffled feathers in the thread about the Scranton killing, but I also don't "blindly" support every action a law enforcement does and do indeed feel as if a thorough investigation SHOULD be conducted in that particular case, as it didn't appear to be as "open and shut" as some would have led you to believe.

Trooper Miller is a HERO, and there was by no means too much "pomp and circumstance" involved, contrary to some opinions on that site. That's typical NEPA mentality let me tell you---be jealous of people who are getting more attention than you, even in their untimely demises. He laid down his life to help save a little boy from his deranged father, and that, to me, is worthy of accolade, not criticism.

Here are some pictures from the ceremony at Pittston Area, courtesy of the Scranton Times-Tribune:

Old 06-13-2009, 08:44 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Let me tell you, that picture of Trooper Miller's wife kissing his coffin just tore my heart apart this morning.

I truly believe that Trooper Miller is a hero and anyone who tries to say different either doesn't know the whole story or is just a cop-hater in general. People complaining about a trooper getting too much pomp and circumstance? Ugh. How typical in this area. And if there would have been a quiet, private funeral/burial people would have been bitching about that as well.

Thanks for the additional pics Paul!

Old 06-13-2009, 10:08 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,642,651 times
I don't know if I agree with the use of the word 'slain.' Slain or slay is usually a
descriptive term for defenseless or unsuspecting victims.

Trooper Miller died in battle... it's a different thing.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:53 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,140,849 times
I retired from the NYPD . Although it is sad that this happened ,It is part of the job. Ive been shot , stabbed , beaten, had bottles, rocks, and fireworks thrown at me at times throughout my service . There was a time while on duty standing next to a fellow officer and friend in Brooklyn NY someone threw a full spackle bucket off the roof of a building and that bucket hit my friend right in the head and killed him instantly .. When you take that oath , you know everyday that you leave to go to work that you may not make it home . I feel for this troopers family , It was a stupid thing . It sure was not worth the life of this young promising man .. But when in Law enforcement This will happen... RIP and God Bless

Old 06-14-2009, 12:41 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Actually slain is the past tense of slay which means to "kill violently". I think it is an apt description in this case.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:42 AM

411 posts, read 1,290,657 times
I was so saddened to read the reports of Trooper Miller's death. I was shocked and wanted to make a comment, or send my sympathies but was at a loss for words. A little time has passed and I guess I can make a bit of sense out of this senseless act. I can only say thank you, thank you to a hero like this and thank you to his family. Thank you for your service to the public and God be with you as you try to find peace.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:46 PM

37 posts, read 42,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
I retired from the NYPD . Although it is sad that this happened ,It is part of the job. Ive been shot , stabbed , beaten, had bottles, rocks, and fireworks thrown at me at times throughout my service . There was a time while on duty standing next to a fellow officer and friend in Brooklyn NY someone threw a full spackle bucket off the roof of a building and that bucket hit my friend right in the head and killed him instantly .. When you take that oath , you know everyday that you leave to go to work that you may not make it home . I feel for this troopers family , It was a stupid thing . It sure was not worth the life of this young promising man .. But when in Law enforcement This will happen... RIP and God Bless
Can you provide a link to the officer killed by the spackle? I'd like to read about that.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:08 AM

467 posts, read 1,489,368 times
What can you say at a time like this, except pray for the family. Senseless stupid crime. He certainly is
a hero. I have both a son and son in law in law enforcement and worry about them every day. God
bless the Miller family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania