Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 03:12 PM

537 posts, read 1,334,003 times

Advertisements

I just happened to hear the news on Channel 16 as I walked by the television this evening. I heard that bishop Martino wants to deny holy communion to catholic politicians who voted for VP Biden!

This simply reinforces the audacity that I felt about these people when I put up with them for a very short time. And it brings an important question. How would anyone know how someone else voted!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 03:14 PM

32,623 posts, read 77,729,253 times
Scranton is a very heavily Democratic city. It is also a very heavily Roman Catholic city. I believe President-Elect Obama carried the Scranton area by roughly 65% to 35% for Sen. McCain. It stands to a reason that a large number of his supporters were indeed Catholics. Does Martino plan on going on a witch hunt now to find out who the "black sheep of the flock" are?

I'm pro-life. I voted for Sen. Obama. Bite me, Martino! LOL!

Old 11-12-2008, 03:16 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,317,117 times
Wants to, but likely won't, because as you mentioned, how would he know how a particular Catholic voted? Or who committed adultery, or coveted thy neighbors property, or any number of things?

Martino is a tool, plain and simple.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:50 PM

Default he's a tool...

and a fool! An arrogant one!

Old 11-12-2008, 04:07 PM

What a jerk that guy is! WNEP is just reporting that when they asked the Diocese of Scranton if they'd still accept financial contributions from those who support political candidates with pro-choice beliefs, they were met with "No comment" (i.e. "We'll take your money, and then deny you communion!") I know many on this board are Roman Catholic, so can you justify to me how your bishop can go on NPR and spark national controversy again saying that politicians with pro-choice beliefs ought to be refused communion and then going on to contradict himself by NOT ruling out accepting donations from parishioners who are pro-choice themselves or who voted for pro-choice candidates. Well I have news for Bishop Martino. Does he intend to ask his parishioners who voted for President-Elect Obama to leave mass during the collection? If so, then his Diocese will fail financially. If not, then he's a hypocrite for not standing firm to his convictions.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:40 PM

Default The Best Alternative...

There are many other church services to attend that are more civilized and happier! Unfortunately the catholic church influences people to adhere to the erroneous belief that the catholics are the only true believers! Guilt is used to keep them in this archaic suppression. Their methods of behavior modification are not new. As some of you know from a previous thread, I was associated with this kind of behavior for a short time. All the while, I was attending services at a few other churches, and they have shown me much respect for the individual.

Once again a catholic "leader" reminds me of what I know from experience!
They are very unhappy pompous people.

I missed that interview about the money Paul. Thanks for sharing and tear up your little envelopes with your number on them- and fret not if the silly guy in the costume doesn't want to give you a Sunday morning biscuit. You can have Holy Communion in a local diner with real people! It's the attitude- not the location! Remember, God is not confined to any one country, group or building.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:07 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,670,123 times
This is a tough one for me. I was born and raised a Roman Catholic, but now attend a Methodist church and I'm closer to God spiritually than I've ever been. The pastor in our church doesn't force beliefs down our throats. The services aren't strictly regimented and I actually learn something when I'm there as opposed to when I used to attend Catholic services. I understand the Bishop's beliefs as a Catholic and what he wants his congregation to be, but I think he should just drop this already before he gets into more hot water. It's almost like he's using mind control and not letting people think for themselves.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:41 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,463,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeriKenArtist View Post
There are many other church services to attend that are more civilized and happier! Unfortunately the catholic church influences people to adhere to the erroneous belief that the catholics are the only true believers!
It's funny...I've talked to Baptists who say THEY'RE the only true believers. I've talked to Lutherans who say THEY'RE the only true believers. I've talked to Pentacostals who say THEY'RE the only true believers.

I'm kinda glad I'm considered a "heathen"!!! It's like that issue at Jesus' tomb yesterday that got my blood boiling...all these "holy men" of different faiths turning a Holy place into a boxing ring!! ALL 'cause they EACH think THEY'RE the "right" belief & "holier" than the others!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeriKenArtist View Post
I missed that interview about the money Paul. Thanks for sharing and tear up your little envelopes with your number on them- and fret not if the silly guy in the costume doesn't want to give you a Sunday morning biscuit. You can have Holy Communion in a local diner with real people! It's the attitude- not the location! Remember, God is not confined to any one country, group or building.
Very wise words AKA!! God is ALSO not to be confined to any 1 book!!

Old 11-12-2008, 08:33 PM

It should come as no surprise that the VAST MAJORITY of the 57 comments thus far relating to this article on the web site of the Scranton Times-Tribune are more or less in accordance with my own beliefs.

1.) If you're going to open your yaps so much about politics, then you should have your tax-exempt statuses revoked.

2.) Why should Roman Catholics vote solely on the abortion issue when every Republican president since Roe v. Wade (1973!) has not a done a damn thing to overturn it? Furthermore, a president alone can't overturn a Supreme Court decision. Did they honestly think that Sen. McCain would have been any different than any of his predecessors, especially since he was a MODERATE Republican?

3.) Where was Bishop Martino during the past eight years of the Bush presidency, urging action on his behalf? Where was Bishop Martino in the 1990s? Was he pestering President Clinton to fight abortions or was he covering up the tracks of these altar boy sex scandals?

4.) If you're going to deny communion to anyone who is pro-choice, then how are you going to make that distinction during mass. Furthermore, why would you accept money from parishioners whom you refuse to serve communion to? Hypocritical, are we?

5.) Obviously the Roman Catholic church doesn't have as much influence as it would lead you to believe if President-Elect Obama won by such a hefty margin in heavily Roman Catholic states like our own.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 11-12-2008 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 11-12-2008, 08:53 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,847,381 times
Martino is technically right, although I disagree with the way he speaks his mind on these issues, and the way he seems to talk down to people rather than to them. If these politicians are truly Catholic, and they actively support a grave sin like abortion, they should know enough themselves not to go up for Communion. I even know better, I haven't received Communion in months just over missing a few Masses and some other minor stuff. Some Catholics take the Eucharist too lightly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania