Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 05:58 AM

858 posts, read 3,044,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
LOL!! Well MY mom told me it was a traditional SLOVAK dish & called it "Golumpki"!!!
So THERE!!!

LOL!! She always called 'em "Pigs In A Blanket" & I'm not sure how she made them, but she always wrapped balls of meat/rice mixture with cabbage leaves & cooked 'em in a big stew-pot in a tomato/water sauce with the sauce going over mashed potatoes too!!
George, you are right! Thats another name for them. No matter what you call them.... They are good!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 06:05 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,767,542 times
I say when George comes to visit we have a big pigs in the blanket and pierogi party!!!!!

Old 12-01-2008, 06:11 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,454,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
George, you are right! Thats another name for them. No matter what you call them.... They are good!!
I don't remember what they tasted like...it's been about 40 years!!

(Whatta ya mean I don't look a day over 25!!!)

Old 12-01-2008, 06:13 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,454,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
I say when George comes to visit we have a big pigs in the blanket and pierogi party!!!!!
OMG!! I can't believe we're leaving 2 weeks from Thursday already!!! The excitement level's building for SURE!!!

(ILP, you can have the pigs in the blanket...I'll just stuff my face with pierogi!!)

Old 12-01-2008, 08:01 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
LOL!! Well MY mom told me it was a traditional SLOVAK dish & called it "Golumpki"!!!
So THERE!!!

LOL!! She always called 'em "Pigs In A Blanket" & I'm not sure how she made them, but she always wrapped balls of meat/rice mixture with cabbage leaves & cooked 'em in a big stew-pot in a tomato/water sauce with the sauce going over mashed potatoes too!!
Haha, well, that might be true The important thing is, wherever they came from, they sure are good!
Yac.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:21 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,400,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DE_NePA View Post
I hit maximum density on Friday AM...so dinner tonight and all meals for the foreseeable future will be ...Nutrisystem. Dropped 4 lbs so far, 16 to go. I've done this before, so know which meals I like, and which I don't. It's more expensive than normal grocery store food, but the portion control is the hook for me. Once I do this for several weeks, I can start eating normal food, and be happy with tiny portions. Can't do that cold turkey, though, I need the portion control of the plan to get me there.
My bf was thinking of trying this to get his portion control down as well. I guess I have more will power and can happily slowly cut my portions and daily calories down each week. He can't. So you'd recommend this? Have you ever tried Jenny Craig? If so, is this better or the same? How long do you stay on before the portions become satisfying? I'm worried if he isn't happy, he'll quit too early and be worse than before. Yo yo dieting is the worst!

Dinner tonight for me will be a harvest grain blend of cous cous, orzo and red quinoa with spinach, tomatoes and a blend of winter squashes. Either that or a tacos with refried beans in place of the meat. Have leftovers for both so one will be dinner and the other tomorrow's lunch. Tuesday I'll make a potato and asparagus soup.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:57 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,584,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
My bf was thinking of trying this to get his portion control down as well. I guess I have more will power and can happily slowly cut my portions and daily calories down each week. He can't. So you'd recommend this? Have you ever tried Jenny Craig? If so, is this better or the same? How long do you stay on before the portions become satisfying? I'm worried if he isn't happy, he'll quit too early and be worse than before. Yo yo dieting is the worst!

Dinner tonight for me will be a harvest grain blend of cous cous, orzo and red quinoa with spinach, tomatoes and a blend of winter squashes. Either that or a tacos with refried beans in place of the meat. Have leftovers for both so one will be dinner and the other tomorrow's lunch. Tuesday I'll make a potato and asparagus soup.
Mmm, potatoes and asparagus are two of my favorite things. Is it a creamed soup? I would love the recipe for that if you don't mind sharing By the way, if you are vegetarian, weight watchers has a great veggie forum (it's free to post on their boards, you don't have to be a WW member). I'm not veg, but post there anyway, because it's really a great group of people. Anyway, they share recipes and food finds on there all the time, as well as discuss other veg. issues. Just thought I'd share

Old 12-01-2008, 04:43 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,400,821 times
I am indeed a vegetarian. But I probably already have more recipes than I'll ever know what to do with - well at least until I retire . I haven't tried this one yet, but it looked simple and promising...

3 lbs potatoes, cut into 1" chunks
1 lb Asparagus, rough ends discarded, tips cut into 2" pieces, ends into 1/2" pieces
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
a few dashes fresh black pepper
4 cups veggie broth
2 bay leaves
juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup chopped fresh dill

Place potatoes into a stock pot and cover with cold water. Cover the pot and bring to a boil, then lower heat for 20 mins or until tender. Add the asparagus, boil 3 minutes, then drain and set aside.

Rinse out the pot, then saute the onion in olive oil for 5-7 minutes; add the garlic, salt and pepper. Saute 2 more mintutes. Add the broth and bay leaves, boil for 10 mins, discard bay leaves. Add the potatoes and the asparagus, heat through, then puree 3/4 of the soup in a blender or food processor. Let cool a bit if using the blender. Reheat if necessary.

Add a squeeze of lemon and serve garnished with fresh dill.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:48 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,584,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
I am indeed a vegetarian. But I probably already have more recipes than I'll ever know what to do with - well at least until I retire . I haven't tried this one yet, but it looked simple and promising...

3 lbs potatoes, cut into 1" chunks
1 lb Asparagus, rough ends discarded, tips cut into 2" pieces, ends into 1/2" pieces
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
a few dashes fresh black pepper
4 cups veggie broth
2 bay leaves
juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup chopped fresh dill

Place potatoes into a stock pot and cover with cold water. Cover the pot and bring to a boil, then lower heat for 20 mins or until tender. Add the asparagus, boil 3 minutes, then drain and set aside.

Rinse out the pot, then saute the onion in olive oil for 5-7 minutes; add the garlic, salt and pepper. Saute 2 more mintutes. Add the broth and bay leaves, boil for 10 mins, discard bay leaves. Add the potatoes and the asparagus, heat through, then puree 3/4 of the soup in a blender or food processor. Let cool a bit if using the blender. Reheat if necessary.

Add a squeeze of lemon and serve garnished with fresh dill.
Thank you so much for posting that! I will definitely be trying it...it sounds simple, but delicious

Old 01-13-2009, 05:24 PM

858 posts, read 3,044,635 times
Default Just had to make them again!!

Well its been some time, so today I went and got all the goods... Took a few hours, but the pigs are done and ready to eat!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania