Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 08:27 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,008,246 times

Advertisements

I think it depends on your location.

Compared to the Hawley/Lake Region IGA, the Hamlin Weis is cheap! I really loathe going to Walmart for anything, let alone groceries, so I haven't compared the Honesdale Walmart to the Honesdale Weis for prices but I don't care if Walmart IS cheaper...LOL - but I do know that both Honesdale and Hamlin Weis are cheaper than my other main store: Lake Region/Hawley IGA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 09:36 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,176,880 times

YouTube - JibJab - Big Box Mart

Old 11-17-2009, 06:06 PM

996 posts, read 3,278,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenRice View Post

Compared to the Hawley/Lake Region IGA, the Hamlin Weis is cheap! I really loathe going to Walmart for anything, let alone groceries, so I haven't compared the Honesdale Walmart to the Honesdale Weis for prices but I don't care if Walmart IS cheaper...LOL - but I do know that both Honesdale and Hamlin Weis are cheaper than my other main store: Lake Region/Hawley IGA.
Completely agree, Karen! I only go to IGA if I'm in the area and REALLY need something.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:38 PM

307 posts, read 768,619 times
I love wegmens, I cook a lot of middle eastern dishes and they are the only store around that has the ingredients I need. But for regular local shopping I go to Dutches in Greentown. The meat seems to be exactly the same as weis and iga, which is kind of middle of the road. The fresh produce is very good, they have a good supply and will get anything thing I ask for. The prices are ok, but because it is close to home I spend less on gas anyway. I find iga in Hawley to cost more, and weis in Hamlin is more expensive too, but Mr Zs in lords valley is over the top expensive plus everyone in there seems to be very bad mannered (customers and workers). I wont ever buy fresh produce or any meat in Walmart. I find the quality to be awful and I really hate cutting into meat which is red on the outside and dark brown in the middle! Yucko! I have tried both Honesdale and Scranton Walmart. (I dont really like Walmart for much anyway, if I can but it at Kmart I will do that first.) The Mr zs in lords valley does have some items that I can only get there. Some brands that I love.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:43 PM

^^I do like Dutch's in Greentown - I don't go there that often though, for some reason I got the idea that Weis is closer to me - but it may not be. I'm going to have to clock it to see.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:49 PM

307 posts, read 768,619 times
If its close to you then you save on gas.. I just got a 30 dollar gift cert from Dutch's, do they have that at Weis's? Dutch's is less than 10 mins from home for me. I really dont like all the traffic and waiting on lights in Hamlin. I guess I have become a real country person! lol

Old 11-17-2009, 07:57 PM

I will bet that Dutch's is closer for me too then, because you live closer to Hamlin than I do...lol.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:16 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kps88 View Post
agreed. these people have to deal with a lot of rude people and they are pretty pleasent for the most part. anyone that does not shop simply because of associates is way off the mark.
I spend hard earned money and expect to be treated like a person. I don't want anyone kissing my arse but a modicum of customer service would be appreciated.

Why would anyone shop at a store with apathetic employees that act like you are a PITA when you ask a question?

Old 11-18-2009, 03:18 AM

Quote:
I am not impressed with Walmart's groceries. Their produce is often icky and I do not trust their meat. I'd rather spend a little more money at Weis though I think their prices are pretty competitive. And I like to buy meat at the Hawley IGA.

I don't trust their meat either. I realize that many of you are not in the same general area as I am, but if you are ever down this way, Jerry's Market in Nanticoke is an amazing place for meat. Their kielbasa is out of this world!

Old 11-18-2009, 03:20 AM

Quote:

Again, I have to agree. The Nanticoke Weis market has very competitive prices in our area, as does the Mountaintop Weis. Price Chopper is iffy but they do have good advantages such as money off of your gas, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania