Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 09:17 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,098,909 times

Advertisements

Find a guy in Lake Ariel that does welding....Have him weld a 20" length of 6" steel pipe to a steel post and put a cap on the back and a hinged door on the front. Bury the pole at least 24" in the ground surrounded by cement.....There is no way that they will be able to crush let alone damage the steel pipe mailbox on the steel pole....Trust me from experience, thats pretty much what my neighbor had to do when I lived in the country to stop the kids from blowing it up with 1/4 sticks...They tried but gave up because they couldn't do any damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 10:00 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
I noticed the people who keep having this happen on our street put two tall rods on each side of it.
This way the swinger wouldn't get the free and clear shot at it.
There are some mailboxes here that are smashed over and over. Everytime a new one goes up.
Mine is set back in a bit because it is the turnaround.......
The one I see still untouched is the one with two polls/rods on each side.......I really think that is detering the swing effect.....
I know there was a news broadcast not that long ago from a kid who got a badly broken arm from thinking he could swing at a mailbox.........but that was full
of cement!!

Old 12-23-2008, 03:30 PM

253 posts, read 997,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturdayskids View Post
Why not get one installed in your door that the mailman can just slip the mail in??
Sorry, can't do that. This is the rural country where the mailman (mail person) never leaves their car, they just drive and drop. Mailbox is too far away from the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Find a guy in Lake Ariel that does welding....Have him weld a 20" length of 6" steel pipe to a steel post and put a cap on the back and a hinged door on the front. Bury the pole at least 24" in the ground surrounded by cement.....There is no way that they will be able to crush let alone damage the steel pipe mailbox on the steel pole....Trust me from experience, thats pretty much what my neighbor had to do when I lived in the country to stop the kids from blowing it up with 1/4 sticks...They tried but gave up because they couldn't do any damage.
Ah HA! Now you've just given me a great idea. My cousin used to be a welder, and he's in the area, always stops by to help Mom. I'm sure he can help her out. Thanks - great idea.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:42 PM

923 posts, read 3,095,071 times
If the vandels don't ruin my mailbox the township snowplow does !!!!!! I have replaced mine three times in 20 years !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania