Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Support Bishop Martino's Political Stances?
Yes (Why?) 6 26.09%
No (Why?) 17 73.91%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 10:08 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,454,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
While I normally don't enjoy the juvenile musings and ravings on a competing city message board, I must say that this image in particular made me burst out laughing!
I think I saw them in the NYC Pride parade in '92!!!

Old 02-27-2009, 11:00 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
So how is the 2009 election season shaping up for our Scrantonians?

MAYOR:

Christopher Doherty: The city's incumbent mayor is seeking a third term in office. He touts such accomplishments as the restoration of the once-blighted Nay Aug Park, the impending renaissance of downtown into a 24-hour city, blight removal, and rising property values. However, he also side-steps the cost of these aforementioned improvements---long-term indebtedness that will take a couple of generations to repay with more red ink and over-spending proposed in his new term if he wins re-election (which I think he will given the lackluster competition). The mayor's prior years in office have been marked by several elitist outbursts when he didn't get his way, as well as lengthy arbitration with public safety unions in the Electric City. In my mind he's not the worst mayor the city's ever had, but if there was actually WORTHY competition he'd lose in the blink of an eye this November.

Gary DiBileo: An established insurance agent from West Scranton, Gary has the charisma of a wounded ***. Nevertheless he is still "fresh", "new", and could bring about "change" in a city crying out for it. Then again how would we know? Other than bashing Doherty, Gary does NOTHING to elaborate upon his OWN long-term goals for the city, the steps he will undergo to get us there, etc. He's not very eloquent, but, then again, dedication and devotion to a city you love can make up for that (assuming your mumbling/bumbling around doesn't cost you the election, that is).

CITY COUNCIL:

Pat Rogan: Even though he has suddenly cleaned up his act, many can still recall scoping out his Facebook profile during his last bid for council and seeing alcohol-laden images, crudeness, and worse grammar than even Les Spindler would probably be capable of! His new Facebook group for his 2009 council bid is growing gang-busters in popularity, but 99.9% of his supporters seem to be kids from "Da U" who are planning to move OUT of Scranton upon graduation anyways and don't care about the long-term vitality of the Electric City; they'll just vote for him because "it's cool" (not to take a jab at my fellow college peers who voted for President Obama head-over-heels for the same reason). Couple this with the fact that he seems to think that illegal immigration is the most pivotal and crucial issue facing the city, and his viability doesn't bode well for me. Let us also not forget his two police citations in recent years---lay off the booze, Mr. Rogan!

Doug Miller: Can we talk about our classic example of "Jekyll & Hyde?" This former Junior City Council President went from being the best-friends-forever (BFF) of Councilwomen Gatelli and Fanucci, as well as Mayor Doherty, to turning his back on them in a 180-degree turnaround. His viability as a candidate is also unlikely. When he approached the podium about three weeks ago to slam city council's poor record, he received very little (if any) applause from the audience whereas Les Spindler seems to get a standing ovation whenever he grunts inaudibly into the microphone with his stupid "Legion of Doom" t-shirt and his jeans that are three sizes too tight! I think too many voters are going to be confused about Mr. Miller's true intentions given this Jekyll & Hyde complex, and his youth hurts him as well (use this forum as a prime indicator of how the "experienced" in Scranton think anyone under 30 is worthless).

Frank Joyce: WHO??!!

Judy Gatelli/Sherry Fanucci: The two incumbent councilwomen who are very well-aligned with incumbent Mayor Christopher Doherty, who is also up for re-election in 2009. These two are the favorite targets of mayoral critics (see picture I posted upthread), and they will either ride the mayor's coattails to victory or to destruction. Both women have a reputation for only wishing to further their own agendas, for ridiculing council speakers (you shouldn't laugh at illiteracy), and for rubber-stamping anything that comes their way that makes the mayor look favorably.

Janet Evans: Also up for re-election is City Councilwoman Janet Evans, a woman who bears a striking resemblance to Cruela DeVil from 101 Dalmatians! This woman nails herself to the cross at every council meeting as she tries to convince the lesser-educated that she's a "victim of the corrupt process" and that she is "the only true voice of the people." Last month at a meeting she even pushed her own mother's ailing health under the bus to shed a fake tear to elicit voter pity. The Legion of Doomers may not be able to see through her ploys and tactics, but I most certainly can. She'd push a group of nuns in front of a bus if it meant she could rise to the rank of City Council President. Scranton needs HARMONY on city council, not constant in-fighting and competition. If voters elect the Evans/Rogan/Joyce ticket, then I fear Evans may let this newfound power as a majority go to her head.

MY INSIGHTS???

When your mayoral salary is only $50,000, which is $30,000 LESS than Wilkes-Barre, a city with 35,000 fewer residents, then it should be no question as to why we can't attract anyone VISIONARY to the mayoral office. For $30,000 more Wilkes-Barre has a mayor that has turned the city from armpit to "up-and-comer" in just three or four years. It's refreshing to see so many younger people taking an interest this election in city politics---it's a shame it's all for naught as the three in the "30 or under crowd" running all have strong flaws. Scranton is royally screwed this time around---I wouldn't vote for ANY of these candidates if I lived in the city limits!

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 02-27-2009 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: Addition

Old 02-27-2009, 05:33 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,990,056 times
I just got off the phone with a old friend of mine about this whole newspaper tax thing. Let me tell you, this is going to get interesting. There are people involved in this that you would not belive.....

This is what machine politics love and trust me, out side Chicago and Louisiana, Scranton/Lackawanna/NEPA is a serious Machine.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:03 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,098,909 times
You have no idea.........

Old 02-27-2009, 07:18 PM

Thats the thing Dan, I do have an idea...I have a lot of friends, and some of them are very supportive of the Man in question....

Old 02-27-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by to570717 View Post
Thats the thing Dan, I do have an idea...I have a lot of friends, and some of them are very supportive of the Man in question....
Which man do you speak of?

Old 03-01-2009, 09:57 PM

Can someone please explain to me what the sexual orientation of a reporter for the Times-Tribune has to do in relation to yet ANOTHER seven-figure law suit lodged recently by Pathological Plaintiff Pilchesky against the city for defamation of character? Talk about "grabbing for straws." If anything Mr. Burton, the reporter here in question, should sue Mr. PILCHESKY for being harassed on Mr. Pilchesky's web site for his sexual orientation! Better yet, let's have everyone sue everyone! At least The Commish will always have a job with people like Joe Pilchesky around suing EVERYONE in sight! LOL! Joe, are you going to sue me too?

Old 03-02-2009, 05:26 PM

For what it is worth, I think this is a very intriguing debate that has come about. At its face it looks like certain parties may have jumped a bit to early to try and call out an opponent. What really happened here truly? I think that this is a page out of Richard Daly's handbook.....meaning the incumbent, who naturally has the populaces ear can in fact declare their own challenger as they see fit.

translation: Gary Dibilio is a respected man that has spent a long time building his name and is not about to get dirty. the current admin has no reason to engage in a smear campaign against him because it is not needed nor would it work.. However, by anointing a representative of the opposition, they can then have lower level candidates duke it out with said person who does not even hold office. And lets be honest, that person does not necessarily speak for the current admins opponents nor do the voting populace see eye to eye with said anointed opponent

What say you voting populace?

Old 03-02-2009, 06:29 PM

I think you need to translate your translation..........

Old 03-02-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
I think you need to translate your translation..........
I was thinking the same thing, and usually I'm the painfully verbose one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania