Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2009, 01:14 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,098,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
How can one even compare the great Walt Disney with Chris Doherty? At least Walt created something cherished by millions. What has Doherty created that has any merit?
He created millions in debt to be cherished by many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blip View Post
Well, he doesn't have the right on here if it violates the terms. Either way, I have the right to ask to keep the conversation on track.

I'm not trying to suppress anyone's political voice , even if it's a painful monotone.

I cannot understand why that'd be.

I think most Scranton residents on this board are optimistic, but tempered by some realism. I can only think of two purely pessimistic posters--shouldn't let them color your opinion so much about the residents.
How does saying that you have no comaprison to judge Doherty against since you have only lived here for a year violate anything? Who is whinning now.

You have no idea what I have had to go thru because of this admin and its lack of compassion for an entire neighborhood.

YOU HAVE NO BASIS TO EVEN TO BEGIN TO TELL ME WHERE AND HOW TO SPEAK OR TYPE FOR THAT MATTER.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:28 PM

947 posts, read 1,643,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
How can one even compare the great Walt Disney with Chris Doherty? At least Walt created something cherished by millions. What has Doherty created that has any merit?
This wasn't a comparison but you have the exact same attitude as those that could not see Walt's vision. But Walt had a dream and some investors who believed in his vision and look what happened. People thought Milton Hershey was crazy too with some of his projects, like the Hershey Hotel which was a ghost town when it first opened. Seems Milton and the hotel did well in the end. At the time both were considered worthless pipe dream projects.

The same folks on this post that complain about lack of progress and too high taxes will be railing again if and when the progress comes because guess what?? Property taxes will go up to support a larger infrastructure.

A few side bars... I don't see anyone in this area who complains about the city being a haven for non-profits going after the church for violation constitutional law (separation of church and state). If this was NYC, Seattle and a host of other cities I can think of the ACLU would have been engaged.

And as for the name calling on this site by some, I have very thick skin it doesn't bother me. I know I am not anyone's crony. I support those that I believe have a vision and the talent to implement. They can belong to any party, I don't really care. I've voted for democrats, republicans, independents, etc. and as I've voted for people I didn't know, people I personally did not like but respected them professionally, and have not voted for people I personally liked but could not respect professionally. I have the right to my opinions as do others on this site and would ask that some engaging in responses conduct themselves with decorum and stop the name calling. People outside of the city read posts on Scranton including key decision makers from businesses/corporations often look at these sites as part of their discovery and the name calling doesn't bode well. Thank you in advance for the consideration.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
EWWW!!! What do women find so "attractive" about guys like that?
You got me. And it's not just the men, the women are guilty of it too. I have never seen anything like it in my life. I've asked lots of people in Philly about it. They are very aware of the habit but don't know how to get it stop. It's their equivelent of Seattle's situation with dealing with the homeless. They know it exists but the locals believe and I am quoting verbatim here " the homeless just want to be acknowledged". Thier idea of helping them is acknowleding them with a smile as they walk by and calling transplants like me crazy for wanting to do anything more for them. I not talking runaways here, I am talking people who are severly physically disabled, suffer from mental illness and the elderly and I thought they'd want food, clothing and shelter. Go figure!!!

Old 05-10-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
EWWW!!! What do women find so "attractive" about guys like that?
Oh yeah, forgot to mention in my previous reply. I just could not see myself living in Rittenhouse Square and walking though that to work, etc. on a daily basis. It just grosses me out.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:28 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,624,754 times
upper end apartments down town will remain a losing venture, there just isnt enough demand for them, a few may be rented, but theres no mass of tenants lining up for them...someone paying those type rents can well afford to buy their own property and gain equity rather than giving their cash to someone else.....
I believe the whole concept of build it and they will come is a poor pipe dream of those that want to make Scranton into something that it is not... Just look at all the hype in the paper when the townhouses were being built on Green Ridge and Sanderson.....All the rose colored glasses people were crowing about the great demand and need for these type ventures, yet the place remains largely vacant........
Dont hate the messenger, Im just advising to the reality , rather than to the "perception"

Old 05-10-2009, 02:32 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Well then what are some of your answers on how to "fix" Scranton because it sure as hell is FAR from perfect in its current state of deteriorating infrastructure, declining population, rising crime, rising poverty level, horrid urban sprawl, dearth of white-collar opportunity, etc. We've identified problems. Good. Now what do you all propose to help SOLVE them besides "blame the mayor."

Old 05-10-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
upper end apartments down town will remain a losing venture, there just isnt enough demand for them, a few may be rented, but theres no mass of tenants lining up for them...someone paying those type rents can well afford to buy their own property and gain equity rather than giving their cash to someone else.....
I believe the whole concept of build it and they will come is a poor pipe dream of those that want to make Scranton into something that it is not... Just look at all the hype in the paper when the townhouses were being built on Green Ridge and Sanderson.....All the rose colored glasses people were crowing about the great demand and need for these type ventures, yet the place remains largely vacant........
Dont hate the messenger, Im just advising to the reality , rather than to the "perception"
I looked at those townhouses. The problem is they were billed as luxury and they are not luxury. I looked at condos and some people were asking outrageous prices for them and they hadn't been updated in 20 or 30 years. It's one thing to buy a fixer upper at a reasonable price, it's another to ask someone to overpay.

If the townhomes were truly high-end luxury with all the bells and whistles, they would sell at thier current list price but that is not the case.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
If the townhomes were truly high-end luxury with all the bells and whistles, they would sell at thier current list price but that is not the case.
Who would buy them?

They would not sell because the market here will not support high end luxury units at their asking price...No matter how well they were built with bells and whistles they would sit empty. This is Scranton not Boulder, Annapolis, or Baltimore, Seattle.

There actually needs to be a local economy to drive these ventures and there is not, so they will sit empty as many leave to look for sustainable incomes else where...Right Paul.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Who would buy them?

They would not sell because the market here will not support high end luxury units at their asking price...No matter how well they were built with bells and whistles they would sit empty. This is Scranton not Boulder, Annapolis, or Baltimore, Seattle.

There actually needs to be a local economy to drive these ventures and there is not, so they will sit empty as many leave to look for sustainable incomes else where...Right Paul.
Uhm, I would have bought one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania