Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 08:57 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,656,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinbloom View Post
Townie...the only time I have ever heard that used was by college kids when speaking of the local full time residents of a college town!

We are currently facing our second rent renewal...if it was not for my son being so happy with his elem. school, I would have been looking for a new home OUTSIDE OF SCRANTON!!! I really do not want to purchase in Scranton anymore...the roads stink, the admin. seems h.e.ll. bent on a continued course of reduction in public safety...the city council...well...they leave much to be desired.( do not want to even go into what I really think of those folks).

We are still in a holding pattern regarding purchasing...I was so happy to move here, I am still in Love with Nepa, but after two years of being in Scranton I am glad we did not rush into purchasing a home!
You're finally seeing the real Scranton. It looks good when you don't live here, but when you do it's true colors come out and it's not good.

To blip, I could have called them a lot worse, but you can't use words like that on here. Sheep is kind of tame. I never said that if someone has something positive to say that they're wrong, they're just not based in reality when it comes to Scranton. And of course the cronies are going to say nice things about the city and mayor. And what is really tiring to me is that people think the city is better off now than 7 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 04:30 PM

67 posts, read 145,055 times
listen, i dont work for the establishment..."the man" isnt in my phone and im not a "sheep" either. I think the leftist terms can be left at home. All i am is the person who was/is the sales rep for signature building systems for 317 linden. Ive been working on this project for a year and half. I can tell you that its a real project and its going to be built. Thats all i was saying. i wasnt advertising for the doherty camp, i could care less. Look at my title Jackass. im from Clarks summit and have no intention of moving to scranton, nor can i even vote for the man. tell me how im a "sheep." i commented on a topic i know a lot about. oh and by the way, please answer this...how does an order and deposit not matter? are you kidding? please, provide more accurate information so i can pull my pants up quicker and get out of here.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:58 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD CSummit View Post
listen, i dont work for the establishment..."the man" isnt in my phone and im not a "sheep" either. I think the leftist terms can be left at home. All i am is the person who was/is the sales rep for signature building systems for 317 linden. Ive been working on this project for a year and half. I can tell you that its a real project and its going to be built. Thats all i was saying. i wasnt advertising for the doherty camp, i could care less. Look at my title Jackass. im from Clarks summit and have no intention of moving to scranton, nor can i even vote for the man. tell me how im a "sheep." i commented on a topic i know a lot about. oh and by the way, please answer this...how does an order and deposit not matter? are you kidding? please, provide more accurate information so i can pull my pants up quicker and get out of here.
I'm happy to hear that this project is coming to fruition, but you have to understand where people like weluvpa, NYRangers 2008, Go Phillies, etc. are all coming from with their apparent "gloom and doom." We've all been spoon-fed lie after lie after lie for far too many years about the next "catalyst" that will "save" Downtown Scranton, only to watch it fall flatly upon its face. St. Peter's Square? Never happened. Sixth Avenue Redevelopment? Never happened. Jefferson Pointe? Never happened (and now can't happen because Kildare's took over the site). Scranton Lace Works artists' colony? Never happened. Southern Union building? It was built and remains the nation's most gorgeous abandoned building. We're just tired of being promised heaven and being delivered hell by the current administration and his developer allies.

I think the city, as a whole, looks better in 2009 than it did under the Connors era, but as weluvpa said earlier about Nay Aug Park, these cosmetic makeovers came at what cost? As a suburbanite I can firmly tell you (even the anti-Doherty camp) that my fellow suburbanites have a more favorable opinion now of the city as a destination for nightlife, dining, shopping, recreation, etc. than they did before Mayor Doherty took office (and with Wilkes-Barre having the state's highest per capita murder rate so far in 2009 with a whopping SEVEN murders for a city of 40,000 Scranton only looks better and better in that regard).

I am familiar with Signature and know you have a wonderful company. I applaud you for your efforts. However, you have to understand WHERE this deep-rooted skepticism is derived from. I complained about the lack of progress that Siniawa was making on the Pittston waterfront condo towers, and as if right on cue the next day a major announcement was made by Siniawa announcing that he would finally be advancing forward with the project after over four years of tap-dancing, but that the project would be a fraction of its former size, leaving many in my town STILL frustrated. What is going on with the Hotel Sterling? Murray Complex? Pioneer Square? Empire Silk Mill loft conversion? With all of these bumble-f*ck developers running amok in NEPA is it any wonder why so many of us are tired of being expected to be "patient for progress?" For God's sake I think Philadelphia got the massive Comcast SKYSCRAPER built in far less time than all of the years it's been taking these fools to bring just a few HIGHLY-DEMANDED lofts or condos to our cities.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
I wasn't specifically calling you a crony or a sheep. I was referencing the crony mentality when it comes to Doherty and projects like this. This project could very well get built, that wouldn't surprise me, but trying to fill those units in downtown Scranton is a tough sell. Like you said, you have no intention in moving to Scranton. Who is going to spend that kind of money to live in an apartment in a ghost town of a downtown? That's all we're saying here. It's good that people will be working on this project, but when it's done then what? I have a feeling this apartments will sit empty. I don't know who you were calling jackass, but that was not called for.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:31 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I don't know who you were calling jackass, but that was not called for.
I'm a Democrat, so maybe he was referencing me?

Old 05-03-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I'm a Democrat, so maybe he was referencing me?
Well, you may be that, but you're not a jackass.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:34 PM

67 posts, read 145,055 times
dont worry rangers, you werent the jackass i was referring to. let me ask you though, was calling me a crony, sheep, or anything else "called for" when, apparently, im the only one providing ACTUAL information. I dont believe for a second i should be scolded for name calling.

There are two things you all seem to be missing here, im sure its just oversight, but its not hard to figure out.
1. The price-- get past he $1500 apt b/c its not that much. the article specifically said "two, three and four bedroom units". That means that for a 2 bedroom unit, it will be $1500. Thats $750 a bed, is that that high when you consider what a U of S student is paying for dorm living? Is it too high considering that the U doesnt provide housing for all four years of schooling? I dont think so. Again, maybe im wrong (chime in here weluvpa, its inevitable).
2. "it may very well get built"-- I posted on friday that we had received a deposit a couple weeks ago and that the building was in production. i was told "that doesnt mean anything." How doesnt that mean anything? By the end of June you will see all the modular components on that site and ready for finish. The rendering in the paper is very close to what the building is going to look like so i hope you all enjoy it.

Also, one more thing... ScranBarre, your post was great and i understand the hesitations and most importantly, the frustrations. My problem is that when a developer finally does make a move like this, it gets bashed as cronyism and all sorts of other things. what gives? In this economy, to even lock up the financing and all the other particulars for this project or any like it is a very difficult thing. im not saying embrace it, but think before you just bash the guy or group actually doing the development (again, weluvpa, chime in here, its inevitable).

Old 05-03-2009, 06:41 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,095,115 times
Blah, Blah, Blah...I mean Bah, bah, bah, bah Townie then jackass, nice touch bud. Saying Jerry Joyce isn't a crony is like saying the sun doesn't come up. So it goes up and then what? $1500 a month to live on Linden? You can have a house driveway and garage for that much in a mortgage payment in the city, a nice house at that.

Looks like it might be another Southern Union....

JD your amusing and easily rubbed the wrong way, I like that.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:58 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,272,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingOutOfNJ View Post
I would buy a condo @ genettis. even the ramada if they turned some rooms into condos.
I believe The
Ramada is renting out rooms right now. I know they rent out to Kings and Wilkes students. I'm waiting for the condo's at The Sterling, overlooking the river and the Riverfront Commons (which is gonna be beautiful, and the new destination for festivals, plays, concerts in Wilkes-Barre. I just came back from walking my dogs on the west side levee/path (whatever it is called), and you can see the entire Riverfront project from the west side, and it's massive. It is gonna be something to see when it is complete. I think River st. along the Riverfront is going to be a busy area with restaraunts, bed and breakfast, coffee shops ect. when it is complete. It should become a very lively spot especially whenever festivals are going on. There will be colored fountains at the enterance to the portals. I want a condo overlooking all of that. I want to be able to look out my window at night and see the river, Market st bridge with the large eagle monuments, Kirby and Nesbitt parks, the majestic courthouse, the colored fountains, hundreds of people at a festival, lots of people walking up and down River st. I think all of River st in that stretch is going to become prime real estate when this is done. I can't wait! I only hope that they don't price them at Manhattan rates so no one can afford them. http://www.circletheusa.com/2009/04/river-common.html

Last edited by W-B proud; 05-03-2009 at 07:12 PM..

Old 05-04-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
dont worry rangers, you werent the jackass i was referring to. let me ask you though, was calling me a crony, sheep, or anything else "called for" when, apparently, im the only one providing ACTUAL information. I dont believe for a second i should be scolded for name calling.

There are two things you all seem to be missing here, im sure its just oversight, but its not hard to figure out.
1. The price-- get past he $1500 apt b/c its not that much. the article specifically said "two, three and four bedroom units". That means that for a 2 bedroom unit, it will be $1500. Thats $750 a bed, is that that high when you consider what a U of S student is paying for dorm living? Is it too high considering that the U doesnt provide housing for all four years of schooling? I dont think so. Again, maybe im wrong (chime in here weluvpa, its inevitable).
2. "it may very well get built"-- I posted on friday that we had received a deposit a couple weeks ago and that the building was in production. i was told "that doesnt mean anything." How doesnt that mean anything? By the end of June you will see all the modular components on that site and ready for finish. The rendering in the paper is very close to what the building is going to look like so i hope you all enjoy it.

Also, one more thing... ScranBarre, your post was great and i understand the hesitations and most importantly, the frustrations. My problem is that when a developer finally does make a move like this, it gets bashed as cronyism and all sorts of other things. what gives? In this economy, to even lock up the financing and all the other particulars for this project or any like it is a very difficult thing. im not saying embrace it, but think before you just bash the guy or group actually doing the development (again, weluvpa, chime in here, its inevitable).
I didn't call you a crony or a sheep. I said people that blindly follow the mayor on everything he does even though they know it's wrong or not true, is a sheep. You said you don't live here, so you really don't care what Doherty does. You just work for a company that is doing this project and that's fine, I have nothing against you. But I'm afraid it's going to be really hard to fill those units considering the location and the state of the economy. You could get so much more elsewhere spending that kind of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania