Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2009, 08:36 PM

94 posts, read 610,236 times

Advertisements

I'm putting in a bid tomorrow on a nice piece of land. Would the City Township office keep information like that if the parcel you are buying is buildable or not?

Does anyone know?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 11:05 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,007,801 times
It's possible, if there was a perc test in the past that failed or if they know that it's a wetlands. But no knowledge does not indicate that the property is buildable....

My suggestion is to make your offer contingent upon the buildability of the lot - make it contingent upon a passing perc test and making certain that it is not a wetlands. You would have a certain window of time (10 to 15 days or so) to have the property tested - contact the township sewage enforcement officer for info.

Your best bet is to have an attorney involved in this to protect your interests. The couple hundred dollars it will cost you will be well spent.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:24 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,849,790 times
You might also want to find an experienced builder and/or excavator to get an opinion ("what do you think we would have to do to build here...."). There are likely some that would be interested in 'helping'. In this way you have also begun the search for contractor(s) you can work with.

If they have built nearby or even in the general area they should have some useful knowledge. Also a smart, experienced person will have a good sense even if they haven't. Wetlands and rock (common in NEPA) are usually identifiable. Grades, drainage challenges are visible. Many issues can be seen by an experienced eye.

Most decent sized lots/land are 'buildable'. Cost and effort vary, sometimes significantly. This will also depend on YOUR vision of where the house sits, driveways, septic position, trees, etc. etc. There are many variables. Expect a few 'surprises'. One good thing about buying existing houses, is there are less variables and often fewer budgetary surprises.

Oh, and also check the neighbors for their experience and current situations. It is also a good way to meet them too ;-) . A good neighbor is an asset that will pay over time.

Last edited by jimazee; 08-07-2009 at 06:25 AM..

Old 08-07-2009, 05:30 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,112,974 times
I'd make the offer contingent upon passing the probe/perc to assure that it will support an on lot septic system, unless the land is an area that central sewer is offered...as Karen said above... and I would have the seller do a wetland delineation to pin point any wetlands.

I would go to the courthouse, as well...as any public info about that property would be found there...including the recording of any liens, unpaid property taxes, etc..

Old 08-07-2009, 07:51 AM

418 posts, read 1,349,004 times
Default Who pays what ?

All good advice ...

History of a perc is not always valid
The drainage may have changed
Zoning laws may have changed or be interpreted differently by the current officer
The seller may not want to pay for a perc

Can there be a clause that puts the seller on the hook for the perc if it fails??

Old 08-07-2009, 08:42 AM

94 posts, read 610,236 times
The property has the utilities underground and the sewer and water have hookups. I'm assuming because of all these things it's a buildable lot, but I'm just trying to CMA.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:45 AM

45,352 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bad Guy View Post
The property has the utilities underground and the sewer and water have hookups. I'm assuming because of all these things it's a buildable lot, but I'm just trying to CMA.

Then your main concern is minimum lot size, probably.

Utilities don't run water/sewer taps to unbuildable lots.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:01 PM

55 posts, read 122,547 times
I installed/install sewer and water all over PA.... Utilty company contractor (me) gets paid by curb stop (house hook up), man holes and laterals, etc. especially on raw land/new sub-divisions. Your proposed property lot may have been "plumbed" 15 years ago, good home work and contrator who is honest can save you big $ and time. Good luck any questions shoot me note, no charge for info, tired of seeing people get $crewed! G

Old 08-11-2009, 12:26 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,783,512 times
Depending on location it could be possible that even if the sewer or water tap is physically installed on the lot, you still might not be able to use them right away.

Some possible scenarios where this might happen: 1) the right to tap the tap might not have been established due to non-payment of an up front tapping fee - most utilities won't install a tap if this isn't paid, but most does not equal all; 2) the right to tap might have lapsed (usually for non-payment of an availability fee), and one would then need to re-pay the likely much higher tapping fee; or 3) DEP has placed the system under connection restrictions that could last for years if, say, DEP wants the sewer system to build a new treatment plant and the system is dragging its feet on paying to design and build it.

So you might want to check that lot's status with both the sewer and the water utilities (often different organizations; one or both might be the homeowner's association). Don't assume that if you call what you think a utility might be, and they say in general there's no problem, as the utility you might asume serves the area from the phone book might not be the correct utility for that specific address. Seek and ask specific questions about that lot's address, and accept answers only from utility representatives who can address that address specifically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania