Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 06:16 PM

17 posts, read 69,893 times

Advertisements

Hello all!!

I am looking to move to one of these areas. I have a newborn and I want her to grow up in a great environment. I also want her to have access to quality schools. I currently live in the nyc and I am ready to make that move. However, we do work in the city so we will need to commute back and forth.

I am in the beginning stages of searching for the perfect place for us to move. My price maximum is about 250k. Possibly 300k if it is really worth it.

I have been reading some threads but the information seems to be old. I would like any up-to-date information on neighborhoods, schools, taxes, cost of living, etc. Anything you think would be helpful in guiding me on my move. If there are any other towns/cities I should research, please let me know.

Any input will be greatly appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 10:52 PM

86 posts, read 192,279 times
Do your research before you decide on any area. Many people are relocating to PA and not doing enough research and then, they move and complain about what the area does not have. And that goes for any state you decide to relocate to. I suggest spending a few weekends and thorougly research each area, go to the supermarkets, go to the local restaurants, go to places where everyday people are that live there, not tourist type places.

There are many transplants in the Poconos. About half of them didn't do their research and just focused on the fact that they can get a bigger house for less money, and taxes are less. They relocate and then realize the area does not offer all the conveniences that the area they just moved from did. Too much focus is on the bigger yard and house and not the other things. The other thing is the commute to NYC or NJ. That gets old fast, especially when you have children. Many people relocate to the Poconos for a better life for their children, well when you are a commuter and you spend 8 hours in the office, and 4 hours or more commuting, that is not a better life for your children. Sure you may bring home more money for them, but is that better then having parents around to be parents.

I know you were asking about the Stroudsburgs vs Saylorsburg, but I just wanted to get the message out about how different it is in the Poconos, not that, that is a bad thing, it just may not work for everyone. The Stroudsburgs are very different from Saylorsburg, the schools also. PV schools are a bit more low key and not as much intense stuff going on. Not as much diversity, but that could be viewed as a good thing or not such a good thing for some. The Stroudsburgs probably have more people from NYC that relocated there as it is closer to NYC. The Stroudsburgs offer more conveniences, but the Saylorsburg area offers more of that country living feel, but your not a million miles away from conveniences either.

In the area you choose, make the school district the priority when you have children. Then you work from there. Go to the schools, take a tour, do online research on stats. Get a feel for things.

Hope that helps a bit, research, research, research. Good luck.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:35 PM

Thank you livetolive! All the points you mentioned I am fully taking into consideration. I am planning on visiting the area and staying a couple of days. I want to get a true feel for the area.

I am also researching additional cities and states. Schooling is one of my top priorities. However, being able to maintain my employment is also important. I realize that with the commute, I will have very little time home. That, I am not willing to deal with.

I have to ask another question. I just happened to sit next to someone who lives in the Mt. Pocono region. They told me a couple of disturbing facts and I want to hear what others have to say. Her daughter recently graduated from high school there and her daughter hates the school. She also said a number of kids committed suicide. There is also extensive drug usage in the schools.

I was also informed that there are white supremists groups in that section of PA. Is that also true? I am an African-American and the idea of dealing with hate crimes and such is hard to fathom. Are there certain sections that I should stay away from?

Once again, any input is appreciated!!!

Old 06-03-2009, 08:31 PM

996 posts, read 3,277,723 times
For what it's worth, it might be best if you could put off the move until one of you can afford to stay home with your daughter or at least work in the same area where she will be in school or day care. Much of the area around Mt. Pocono is populated by transplants such as yourself. Unfortunately, many of these parents also commute to the city every day and leave their kids behind with no after school supervision. Please do a search for the many threads regarding Pocono Country Place and you will get an idea of what these residents are dealing with. If you really feel you must do this soon, the farther away from Stroudsburg and Mt. Pocono, the better you will find the schools and crime rates. I know there are people in Hemlock Farms (Wallenpaupack and Delaware Valley Schools) that do the NYC commute, but again, I can't imagine doing this with an infant at home. Good luck and I hope you find somewhere that works.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:25 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,043 times
If deciding between the three locations, consider that stroudsburg and east stroudsburg offer a more city feel (although small city feel) and Saylorsburg gives the country, wide open feel..as there are still farms and open space here. Also, parts of Saylorsburg, like where I live..are in Ross Township, which has one of the lowest tax bases in Monroe County. Your taxes would be higher in the burgs.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:44 AM

greentown & poconoproud are right on with their comments. I sound like a broken record at times but I cannot stress enough to visit, and research. research, research. Just too many have not done that, therefore leading to unhappy people who have the nice house, nice yard, but just don't like the different lifestyle. I tell people to make a list and right down the pros and cons, then make a decision from there, if you do move, give it time, keep an open mind, and then go from there. Too many people want immediate satisfaction and you have to give yourself time to adjust, and also get to know people. Keep in mind, wherever you move, not matter what state and what area, there will always be the good and the bad.

Another thing I suggest if you will be a commuter, do the commute and see how it is, and I mean actually do it at the time you would have to go to work, and come home from work. This way you can get a real feel for the traffic, etc.

The schools are different ~ also because the people are different. The Burgs do have more of a city feel and Saylorsburg/Brodheadsville more country.

Good luck ~

Old 06-04-2009, 10:35 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
Will your job be flexible about letting you work from home occassionally? Because the winters are real winters. Schools are closed or delayed for hours due to ice conditions and snow. Can you get to the bus on black ice? When your baby sitter calls you at work in the am to say your infant has a high fever will you be okay waiting for a few hours for the buses to start running back to PA and then making the 2 hour trip. You sacrifice a lot for this "cheap" real estate.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:03 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,141,385 times
My 2cents as an ex-Brooklynite whose been coming out here since '96 and finally made the move in Nov. '07, it might do you some good to really think this out considering you have a newborn who comes first before any decision you make. Not knowing what line of work you or your other half do, it's kinda hard to give some guidance other than what the other members here have already told you. Right now it's a buyer's market and you can get some really good deals out here. But research is always first and foremost second to your newborn as I said earlier. Contact me by direct message and we can talk more comfortably that way if you don't want to post any particulars here. I'll give my unbiased opinion of what it's like out here. I commute 5 days a week to Piscataway, New Jersey but we don't have any kid's. Just 2 of the 4 legged variety....a 6 month old teacup Chihuahua and a 5 year old Black Lab and they're enough!!

Old 06-04-2009, 02:14 PM

I totally agree folks, more good info for you.

Funny that David mentioned having the 4 legged variety, I find them to be more needy then the children when it comes to me getting out the door for work. lol But ya gotta love'em.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:46 PM

Thank you!!

We will be moving with my mother and she will be doing the childcare, so i am good on that aspect. However, I still want to be there as much as I can with my newborn.

I am in Human Resources. I did some quick job searches on monster and didn't really see anything. Are there any PA sites I should visit for jobs?

I am not rushing into this decision. I am trying to do as much research as possible. I like this forum because I can talk to real people and receive honest opinions. I totally intended on visiting pa for a couple of days to get a true feel of the area. I have to experience any area before we make the final decision on where we want to live.

My daughter is my top priority. I want to do the best I can for her. Being there for her and providing her with best life we can is of upmost important.

Can anyone let me know about any racism out there?

Thanks again

Oh and David, a friend of mine has a teacup Chihuahua, they are sooooooooooo cute!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania