Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 09:01 PM

567 posts, read 1,305,545 times

Advertisements

Oh, how disappointed i am with my neighbors.

I had car trouble the other night.. I was trying to start my car with a low amount of gas in it.. although i was not on E... it would not start, despite my repeated attempts (18 year old car guys lol)

I counted at least a dozen times where i saw neighbors pulling back their blinds and looking out at me.... NOW... where I'M FROM.. in the land of the "rudest people in the country"... someone would have tried to help me at some point...

yet.. here in NEPA.. i was left looking like a clown in a nice Dressy Outfit on my way to a Bar.. in extra heat and humidity..

UNTIL! my neighbor to the house next to me saved my ***** and drove me to the gas station w/ his gas can.

Low and behold -- he was from Jersey too... lol

is it a locals only help locals thing? cause i was very disappointed ...

and i know the neighborly neglect probably is isolated to wilkes barre city and the city of scranton due to the size of the towns.. but.. all the trumpeting of the friendlieness of NEPA and i felt very unwelcome lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 09:19 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,272,401 times
I would have helped you.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:28 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Well, geez, I don't know, 'cause I live in Jersey! But I grew up in Wilkes-Barre. I would have helped you.

Do you ever talk to any of these people? Are they elderly? My mother lives there; she has three really good neighbors. Others peek out of the windows and some of them don't even look. Probably, the same thing happens in a lot of places.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:32 PM

905 posts, read 2,400,123 times
A couple weeks ago I was driving down Route 11 and saw somebody with their four ways on. I pulled over and the girl told me I was the first person to even pull over, everybody else was just flying past. It was around 12:30 am, and I don't get why people were driving past honking horns and playing with flashlights. If it was me, I'd hope someone would help me.

Ugh, people frustrate me...

Old 08-17-2009, 10:32 PM

567 posts, read 1,305,545 times
Thank you to those who noted they would have helped me :-) I wish you were on my block lol...

there are one or two elderly families..but most of the houses have able-bodied tenants. I see and say Hello to these people when they're out on their porch and i'm getting out of my car at the end of my work day.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:28 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
My husband would have helped you. He actually did this when we lived in S. Wilkes-Barre. There was a couple who was broke down on our street and my husband fixed their car for them.

I agree though that MOST people would not help. It's a real shame. Sorry M.O.O.N.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:58 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,951,737 times
I would have been there for you dude...and I am one of those "rude" New York biotches! LOL People just plain sux, and that is why I hate them! j/k lol~

Old 08-18-2009, 05:17 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,582,806 times
My neighbors are the best....always there to lend us a tool, lend us a hand, etc. Last winter when my husband's truck got stuck in a ditch, our neighbors were there within minutes, and one even phoned a guy from the township to help pull him out with one of the big trucks with a winch. Sorry to hear of your experience, but I just haven't had the same experience at all in NEPA..quite the opposite actually!

Old 08-18-2009, 06:54 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfectedMushroom View Post
A couple weeks ago I was driving down Route 11 and saw somebody with their four ways on. I pulled over and the girl told me I was the first person to even pull over, everybody else was just flying past. It was around 12:30 am, and I don't get why people were driving past honking horns and playing with flashlights. If it was me, I'd hope someone would help me.

Ugh, people frustrate me...
Probably 2 reasons why nobody pulled over....one, at 12:30 am, a lot of people are probably afraid to pull over and help someone on the side of the road...and two, the ones that might not have been afraid were probably legally drunk and didn't want to get caught if a cop pulled over....unfortunately in NEPA, 4 out of 5 people on the road at 12:30 am are probably drunk...(probably the same at 12:30 pm around here too..)

Old 08-18-2009, 10:03 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,132,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingOutOfNJ View Post
Oh, how disappointed i am with my neighbors.

I had car trouble the other night.. I was trying to start my car with a low amount of gas in it.. although i was not on E... it would not start, despite my repeated attempts (18 year old car guys lol)

I counted at least a dozen times where i saw neighbors pulling back their blinds and looking out at me.... NOW... where I'M FROM.. in the land of the "rudest people in the country"... someone would have tried to help me at some point...

yet.. here in NEPA.. i was left looking like a clown in a nice Dressy Outfit on my way to a Bar.. in extra heat and humidity..

UNTIL! my neighbor to the house next to me saved my ***** and drove me to the gas station w/ his gas can.

Low and behold -- he was from Jersey too... lol

is it a locals only help locals thing? cause i was very disappointed ...

and i know the neighborly neglect probably is isolated to wilkes barre city and the city of scranton due to the size of the towns.. but.. all the trumpeting of the friendlieness of NEPA and i felt very unwelcome lol
sounds like my neighborhood---where i am at if one dropped dead on the front porch,my neighbors would come out go through your pockets and steal your shoes before (and if)they call 911----and i live in what appears to be in a nice section west of wyoming ave(not in edwardsville)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania