Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2009, 09:46 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenRice View Post
I am not mistaken about Bill Cosby. I said I was agreeing the the comments made here about Jackson / Sharpton VS. Bill Cosby. I had him separated from the other two wackos. I have admired Bill Cosby all my life, though I admit, it started out cause I loved Jello Pudding Pops.

My point about the "race card" was directed at the entire discussion - not any particular people...

Oops, misread about Bill Cosby! LOL sorry!

Old 08-22-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinbloom View Post
But you just mixed in reported and convicted. I am a firm believer that institutional racism/sexism/ageism is very very very real!!!!!!!!!!! BUT, crimes reported and convictions are two totally seperate stats.

No I didn't mix them. Minorities are arrested more. But of the white criminals who *are* arrested, less of *them* are convicted than their minority counterparts.

But yes, I totally agree that racism, sexism and ageism exist.

I read a study a few months ago that said white criminals are more likely to be hired than black NON-criminals.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:59 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,955,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
No I didn't mix them. Minorities are arrested more. But of the white criminals who *are* arrested, less of *them* are convicted than their minority counterparts.

But yes, I totally agree that racism, sexism and ageism exist.

I read a study a few months ago that said white criminals are more likely to be hired than black NON-criminals.
Oh sorry...I thought you were saying more blacks report crimes to the police than whites~that is what I was disagreing with.

The study you mentioned, my only comment on that is THAT IS JUST SOOOOOO WRONG!

FYI to all...when I use all caps it is for emphasis...not yelling! ty

Old 08-22-2009, 11:06 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,782,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
You know, even though you've been very nasty to me as of late in the threads on the Scranton Times-Tribune I must admit I concur with your assessment. Places like Washington, Atlanta, New York City, Chicago, Minneapolis, and many other large cities have very sizable (and visible) African-American middle-class and upper-middle-class populations, but Scranton's is very tiny in comparison. You don't see as many African-Americans walking around in suits and driving Audis in Scranton as you do here in NoVA, and that really does trouble me that you can't attract "quality" minorities to Scranton---the types who worked hard to get through high school and college and made something of themselves instead of the types who drop out of school at age 16, knock up a few girls, join gangs, act boorishly in public, etc., etc. There truly aren't enough of the "Bill Cosby", "Will Smith", or "Barack Obama" blacks in Scranton---instead we get the Bloods, Crips, Section 8 lifers, high school dropouts, unwed teen mothers, etc., etc.

I could count the number of African-American friends I had back in NEPA on one hand, as there just weren't that many middle-class blacks in the region. Diversity is a great thing, but it has to be socioeconomic as well. Where is Scranton's influx of white-collar minorities?

You are so right there. I haven't any white collar minorities here, very few. I know a few Dr's that have taken care of my son, but that's about all i've seen.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:13 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,661,422 times
Quote:
Ummmm...hello yes there is I moved here and I am white collar! Many of us hated transplants are! LOL
Yes, there are some here. But the bad far outweighs the good in this particular situation.

The reason we believe that the minorities are the main reason for the increase of crime is because in the last 20 years, crime here in West side has gone up dramatically. My friend, a life long Westsider, told me you didn't have gangs, ghettos, welfare people or Section 8's ruining the city or bleeding the system dry back then. These people weren't here 20 or 30 years ago like they are now. He said him and his neighbors would look out for each other and they could leave their doors unlocked. Now, you don't know what you're getting for a neighbor when someone new moves in. Now, if anyone doesn't believe that they are the cause for the increase in crime, I would like someone explain what they believe the reason to be.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Oh sorry...I thought you were saying more blacks report crimes to the police than whites~that is what I was disagreing with.

The study you mentioned, my only comment on that is THAT IS JUST SOOOOOO WRONG!

FYI to all...when I use all caps it is for emphasis...not yelling! ty
Don't cry! I wasn't being snarky...promise! LOL about the caps, I do that too and people think I am either yelling or getting frustrated. Sometimes I use asteriks instead though for emphasis.

And ITA about that study. Unfortunately, I'm sure that it's more prevalent than we even realize.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:11 PM

936 posts, read 2,398,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Me too. Those connected Italians may not be upstanding citizens, but they keep to themselves and don't mess with people unless they get messed with. They don't make a spectacle of themselves and ruin neighborhoods like ghetto trash.
No they dont make ghettos out of neighborhoods, well not THEIR neighborhoods. I gotta laugh because I grew up in a predominatley Italian neighborhood and I am Italian and your statement is farthest from the truth. What are all these so called mafioso doing in jail...murder...corruption...drugs...money laundering and a whole host of other things. Please anyone that does things against the law is a criminal. Just because anyone thinks that they kept Italian neighborhoods clean didnt know about all the crime that was actually going on. And maybe they are called mobs they are still gangs. Just a different kind. And this also goes for the other mobs of different groups. The blacks and hispanics dont have a hold on everything and thinking that is very naive.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:23 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,661,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxy38 View Post
No they dont make ghettos out of neighborhoods, well not THEIR neighborhoods. I gotta laugh because I grew up in a predominatley Italian neighborhood and I am Italian and your statement is farthest from the truth. What are all these so called mafioso doing in jail...murder...corruption...drugs...money laundering and a whole host of other things. Please anyone that does things against the law is a criminal. Just because anyone thinks that they kept Italian neighborhoods clean didnt know about all the crime that was actually going on. And maybe they are called mobs they are still gangs. Just a different kind. And this also goes for the other mobs of different groups. The blacks and hispanics dont have a hold on everything and thinking that is very naive.
Totally agree. The mob is just as criminal as these street gangs that are here in Scranton and other urban areas across the country. Think about 'The Sopranos' and 'Goodfellas' and they don't paint a rosy picture of the mafia. You're right, they don't make ghettos out of their neighborhoods. They usually live in nice, upscale towns. We understand that they're both bad, but gophillies stated he would rather have them in his neighborhood than the gang banging, ghetto types that did this horrible act.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:28 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,134,562 times
i have seen more problems here with whites that have little to no moral,financial,socially oriented positive qualities-----the neighborhoods have deteriorated thanks to the multi slumlords in both counties----some of which are very socially prominent in the community---one even told he wished i was section 8 because he is always sure of getting his money-----the negative people wouldn't be coming here if there was not some attraction--ie---POOR police enforcement--WILLINGLY slumlords eager to accomadate them.
i am in what was supposed to be a nice neighborhood--but i may have to move because of white trash nextdoor(recent resident) and a house with an undisclosed rodent problem that the landlord is failing to correct

getting back on track-----gangs are no surprise here---this area has always had a gang--ie--the never talked about mafioso

Old 08-22-2009, 01:51 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,782,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone2long View Post
i have seen more problems here with whites that have little to no moral,financial,socially oriented positive qualities-----the neighborhoods have deteriorated thanks to the multi slumlords in both counties----some of which are very socially prominent in the community---one even told he wished i was section 8 because he is always sure of getting his money-----the negative people wouldn't be coming here if there was not some attraction--ie---POOR police enforcement--WILLINGLY slumlords eager to accomadate them.
i am in what was supposed to be a nice neighborhood--but i may have to move because of white trash nextdoor(recent resident) and a house with an undisclosed rodent problem that the landlord is failing to correct

getting back on track-----gangs are no surprise here---this area has always had a gang--ie--the never talked about mafioso

You're right, there is white trash all over the place, there is white, yellow, black, hispanic, mexican trash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania