Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2007, 04:06 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Woodside I just googled that and they seem awfully high. Is this for long term?
Towamensing Trials has some that I have seen on their real estate site of
M Realtors. I remember they seemed quite reasonable.
I hope someone with more knowledge of rentals can help you.
Remember to try the Pocono Record also for rentals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodside1 View Post
I am looking into buying a three bedroom two bath house as an investment. I have not been able to get an honest estimate as to how much I would be able to rent it for. (long term)Can anyone help? Thanks
Just be careful of water issues there. At PFarms.
One April after a long winter, I drove through there. Many, many homes had
sump pumps going out the basement windows. Something I wasn't looking for, nor expecting. So do the inspection ,and be aware of that.
Another thing.........for some reason......renters in this area do not take good care of a home. I suppose it is because they are transcient and could care less. There is someone on here looking in the Milford area and she can not believe her eyes looking at the rental conditions.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:20 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,350,727 times
Default Gated vs. Stand-Alone

As I stated in another post, a friend and I will be looking at the Jim Thorpe area (not sure what the surrounding areas are) to look for a small retreat. I will be either renting or selling my home in Wallingford, PA, in order to move in with and care for my aging parents. I'm going to need to take a break now and then. I don't want to go too far from the Philly burbs in case of an emergency, so Carbon County seems to be the closest place.

I'm seeing a lot of these gatred communities on the Internet. They seem a bit too busy to attract me. Is the land being eaten up by these places or can one still find a nice stand-alone house in the area? I like to swim for relaxation. Are the lakes swimmable in the mountains? Any particular area you can point out to me will be visited when we're there this November. THANKS!

Old 08-28-2007, 08:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,934 times
Hi Molly,
I am from Long Island and am looking at property in Pocono Haven in Tannersville . What do you know about this area, would appreciate any help.
Thanks

Old 08-29-2007, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann deangelis View Post
Hi Molly,
I am from Long Island and am looking at property in Pocono Haven in Tannersville . What do you know about this area, would appreciate any help.
Thanks
Did you mean Cove Haven or Pocono Haven...........?
Here is a link to Pocono Haven it is not in Tannersville, so I don't know if this is the information you want.
Poconos haven - Black-owned resort in Pennsylvania Poconos Mountains American Visions - Find Articles

Old 08-29-2007, 12:14 PM

63 posts, read 224,986 times
Summering, FYI there is a development (subdivision) in Tannersville called Pocono Haven. I have sent Ann Deangelis a personal message.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:12 PM

183 posts, read 521,482 times
I'm a white collar crime victim living in NJ.

I already have the PA plates on my vehicle and I just need to find the right area and house and I can't wait! Give me a Shop-Rite or reasonable facsimile (never Tiffany for me again!), a competent veterinarian and a decent public library and I long for a cozy tranquil peaceful existence where I can finally get the healing I deserve!

I am by myself and my dogs and never bored or boring and will do just fine with a house that smells of homemade soup, has a wood-burning fireplace, privacy, NO ASSOCIATION OR CORRUPT BOARD to run my life and just, simply, frugality and calm. If I never purchase another thing beyond a house, lovely furnishing and warm touches and groceries for the rest of my life, that works for me. School systems are unimportant - I'm alone. Safety, comfort and an affordable house with some character and charm will give me the life I earned.

Very eager for suggestions.

Prefer being somewhat accessible to my northern NJ support system but not essential if it means abandoning my dream. My dream???? To do something I have not once done in my too-busy lifetime: I want to do the dinner dishes and GO INTO THE LIVING ROM, CURL UP WITH MY DOGS AND WATCH TELEVISION. It's not a luxury I have had, ever!

Please - guide me?

Thank you in advance.

Oh, being stranded in a blizzard is delicious for me. If I can't leave for years, I will not get cabin fever. )

Where should I be looking for an immaculate, inexpensive house with charm, privacy and safety? I'd prefer staying within $225k and $300k.

Thanks so much for guidance.
Sherry

Old 08-29-2007, 05:24 PM

996 posts, read 3,279,220 times
You could try the Greentown/Newfoundland area. You sound like just the type of neighbor I would love to have. There are plenty of day to day conveniences in the immediate area and you could easily find a small home with some land within your budget. Try this website:

Pocono Mountain Real Estate Pocono MT Real Estate Pocono Mountain PA Real Estate

If you do a seach, it goes by township. The ones closest in this area are Greene, Dreher, Sterling, Wayne County, and also Palmyra, Pike County.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:05 PM

422 posts, read 2,005,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann deangelis View Post
Hi Molly,
Thanks
Pocono Haven is a development name
the school district is Pocono mountain
it is in Pocono Township

Here are a few MLS listings of homes there http://www.poconokey.com/Search_20_the_20_MLS.html

Good location. Convenient to "town". Schools PMSD are good (my kids go there). Crowded on weekends due to Outlet stores.

Old 08-31-2007, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzymare View Post
Summering, FYI there is a development (subdivision) in Tannersville called Pocono Haven. I have sent Ann Deangelis a personal message.
OH wonderful, I only found the one coming up on line that was over past Marshalls Creek. For some reason I don't recall a location in Tannersville........glad you knew of it.

Old 08-31-2007, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapshoe View Post
I'm a white collar crime victim living in NJ.

I already have the PA plates on my vehicle and I just need to find the right area and house and I can't wait! Give me a Shop-Rite or reasonable facsimile (never Tiffany for me again!), a competent veterinarian and a decent public library and I long for a cozy tranquil peaceful existence where I can finally get the healing I deserve!

I am by myself and my dogs and never bored or boring and will do just fine with a house that smells of homemade soup, has a wood-burning fireplace, privacy, NO ASSOCIATION OR CORRUPT BOARD to run my life and just, simply, frugality and calm. If I never purchase another thing beyond a house, lovely furnishing and warm touches and groceries for the rest of my life, that works for me. School systems are unimportant - I'm alone. Safety, comfort and an affordable house with some character and charm will give me the life I earned.

Very eager for suggestions.

Prefer being somewhat accessible to my northern NJ support system but not essential if it means abandoning my dream. My dream???? To do something I have not once done in my too-busy lifetime: I want to do the dinner dishes and GO INTO THE LIVING ROM, CURL UP WITH MY DOGS AND WATCH TELEVISION. It's not a luxury I have had, ever!

Please - guide me?

Thank you in advance.

Oh, being stranded in a blizzard is delicious for me. If I can't leave for years, I will not get cabin fever. )

Where should I be looking for an immaculate, inexpensive house with charm, privacy and safety? I'd prefer staying within $225k and $300k.

Thanks so much for guidance.
Sherry
If I were you..........I'd go to Brodheadville, or Kunkletown........
Use The Brodhedsville Vet, Britt Seeley........he is wonderful with animals.
Also, he has done things above and beyond to help with animal care.
Reasonable also.....
I'd use the library on Pilgram Way which is new and full of light. Yet sits on a quiet street without much around. Its large and comforting..........
Most of the homes are one one or two acres.
You get a nice home for your money. The Shop Rite and Mr Z's is right in the area.............
You can curl up on a winters night and just hunker in........
Hope this helps........ You would be just 15 min. to the border, 45 minutes to the Hackettstown area of NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania