Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 08:25 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,275,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
But these cameras have been shown to be a huge waste of money - they do not curb crime. That is why I have such a big problem with them.

And LOL about the courthouse!
I heard that they have had an positive effect on crime. If this was taxpayers money paying for it, I would probably be against it, but being that it is gambling monies that are footing the bill, and the fact that Wilkes-Barre continues to be plagued by it's crime and the bad reputation that goes with it, I'm willing to give them a shot. I do see your point about criminals just moving to an area without camera's though. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens here in W-B. I do hope they have a positive result. i am sick and tired of our city being the "capital" of violent crime and murder in our region. Let Scranton or Hazleton take a turn at being king of the hill for once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 08:52 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,624,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
Unlike Scranton or other towns, our camera's will be monitored by the police department itself,
No, they're being monitored by Legion Security Services.

Big difference.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:38 PM

905 posts, read 2,401,280 times
It's Big Brother, they should not be watching all the people for "crime"

Let's not dare think outside what they want us to think now...Obama might get mad.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:18 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,624,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfectedMushroom View Post
Let's not dare think outside what they want us to think now...Obama might get mad.
Heh..."1984" has finally rolled around to Wilkes-Barre...25 years later, like so many other things here.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:14 AM

513 posts, read 1,080,314 times
Quote:
If this was taxpayers money paying for it, I would probably be against it, but being that it is gambling monies that are footing the bill, .
Once money is in the public coffers, what difference does it make where it came from? Priorities as to what money should be spent on should not be related at all to where money came from.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:46 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfectedMushroom View Post
It's Big Brother, they should not be watching all the people for "crime"

InfectedMushroom is back! WOOOOO!!!

Old 10-16-2009, 06:35 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,781,561 times
Quote:
The city should put all of these camera's inside The Luzerne County Courthouse! That's where all the criminals are anyways!

That's exactly where they should go,,,,,,,,,lolol.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:13 AM

905 posts, read 2,401,280 times
Haha sorry I have been away from the forums for a while...I thought I would be missed about as much as a bad rash....

Old 10-17-2009, 08:23 AM

Wilkes-barre's crime problem and reputation is probably the worst in the region. if you live out in the country, or in a town or city without much crime, I could see why you wouldn't want to see these cameras in your town, but my city suffers greatly with violent crime and especially the bad reputation that goes with it. Like I said in an earlier post, it keeps people and new buisness out of are city. People are literally afraid to come into Wilkes-Barre. I believe the bad reputation is much worse then the actual crime stats, but anyway, something has to be done. The police force has been beefed up, and that has had a very positive effect especially downtown, and I think, that if used properly, these camera's will act as an extra eye on the streets, and be an asset to the police department. If they abuse or overstep thier boudaries, I will be the first one screaming to take them down (I don't want these cameras used at traffic lights to catch speeders ect., or be used as a revenue source for the city via fines!!!) They should be used to prevent crime in high crime neighborhoods, and to catch vandals in the parks ect. And these are being payed for by gambling procedes which is awesome. To me, it is like a free gift to the city. Again, I am a little skeptical, and I am taking a "wait and see" approach, but I think they are worth a try.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Heh..."1984" has finally rolled around to Wilkes-Barre...25 years later, like so many other things here.
That may be true, but when the end of the world finally comes, Wilkes-Barre will still be here for 25 more years after the rest of the world is gone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania