Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 09:58 AM

703 posts, read 1,546,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raising_My_Family View Post
It is also ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS to say that the people here are BIGOTS, what an awful way to classify me and very untrue! It seems like that statement is, in itself, bigotry. And, furthermore, the problems our city faces has nothing to do with HISPANICS. What an awful thing to say about hispanic people! Problems here are related to people in this country illegally. Period. This problem has brought many American cities grief ... from illegal drug use and sales to poverty and crime from a group of people who are taken advantage of by SOME, not all, companies. Furthermore, new and old residents of the city are working TOGETHER to combat the problem - drugs and crime are bad and all legal residents are working hard to maintain their neighborhoods. This has NOTHING to do with ones race.
First, I find it fascinating that you're worried about poverty and illegal immigrants, while ostensibly supporting Lou Barletta's law. That law would have made it more difficult for illegal immigrants to rent homes and apartments and get jobs, forcing them further under the radar and into some pretty desperate situations. If you're worried about poverty, then that law does not help.

Second, the "illegal immigrant crime wave" is a myth.

Quote:
4 of 428 violent crimes in Hazleton in the last six years could be attributed to illegal immigrants.
Third, it's unconvincing to call your city's critics what they've been calling its residents. The "I know you are, but what am I?" defense only worked in Pee Wee's Big Adventure. You may claim not to personally harbor any animus towards Hispanics, but too many in your community do. And I don't think it's accurate to ignore that ugly sentiment in your community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 12:15 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
You may claim not to personally harbor any animus towards Hispanics, but too many in your community do.
Rep points for you teaching me a new word today! I thought it was "anus" until I re-read it!

Old 03-24-2009, 12:16 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Rep points for you teaching me a new word today! I thought it was "anus" until I re-read it!
Drats! I can't rep you yet! Anyone else feel like volunteering (preferably another "power booster" like poconoproud or Summering?!)

Old 03-24-2009, 01:12 PM

149 posts, read 636,248 times
Martz bus line.....from Stroudsburg to NYC, you would at least have to commute to Stroudsburg From New York City - Martz Trailways Poconos (http://www.martzpoconos.com/from-nyc.asp - broken link)
good luck

Old 03-26-2009, 06:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
First, I find it fascinating that you're worried about poverty and illegal immigrants, while ostensibly supporting Lou Barletta's law. That law would have made it more difficult for illegal immigrants to rent homes and apartments and get jobs, forcing them further under the radar and into some pretty desperate situations. If you're worried about poverty, then that law does not help.

Second, the "illegal immigrant crime wave" is a myth.

Third, it's unconvincing to call your city's critics what they've been calling its residents. The "I know you are, but what am I?" defense only worked in Pee Wee's Big Adventure. You may claim not to personally harbor any animus towards Hispanics, but too many in your community do. And I don't think it's accurate to ignore that ugly sentiment in your community.

Beautiful

Coming from a Dominican that was raised in NYC and move to Hazleton 4 years ago and have my own business and pay plenty of tax to the city of
hazleton.

I can wait to the day the people with the ugly sentiment would actually leave this city, it would be a better place with out them, but besides the fact I'm very happy here.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,052 times
The Blue Comet Diner is still open,just called to make sure.Lawbreakers are the issue.Being here without the proper credentials qualifies you as a criminal.Laws are made for reasons and the mayor is only trying to enforce what the feds have failed to do.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:27 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,423,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermama5 View Post
The Blue Comet Diner is still open,just called to make sure.Lawbreakers are the issue.Being here without the proper credentials qualifies you as a criminal.Laws are made for reasons and the mayor is only trying to enforce what the feds have failed to do.
Is Lou Barletta still Mayor of Hazleton Pa.? We need to get that man in higher office.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:49 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,816,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Is Lou Barletta still Mayor of Hazleton Pa.? We need to get that man in higher office.
Yes he is still mayor, and I agree. He is running for Congress this year, and I think he has a pretty good shot of knocking off Kanjorski.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:52 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,816,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leydyp View Post

I can wait to the day the people with the ugly sentiment would actually leave this city, it would be a better place with out them, but besides the fact I'm very happy here.
Those people were there before you, it was their ancestors that built the town. its not fair for people to call somewhere home for generations, only to have it completely taken over by newcomers....newcomers who have no interest in assimilating and respecting the local way of life, but rather they want to completely change it and turn it into somewhere just like where they came from.

How about this stat? Since the hispanics started moving in masses to Hazleton, the population has gone up by 10,000 from approximately 20,000 to approximately 30,000. But tax revenue to the city has NOT GONE UP. What does that tell you?

Old 07-02-2010, 08:33 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,423,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Yes he is still mayor, and I agree. He is running for Congress this year, and I think he has a pretty good shot of knocking off Kanjorski.
Myself and miillions of other Americans across the country stand behind him on his stance against illegal immigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania