Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 11:27 AM

1 posts, read 7,754 times

Advertisements

I am a resident of Greater Hazleton and look to this site because I love all the interesting data. I often use it for a variety of reasons but after stumbling upon these forums feel that there is a need for a few corrections in the information seen by this nation on Hazleton, PA and surrounding areas. I love that when people are relocated due to work (or in their search for a better and more affordable alternative to city living) they end up here on these boards. What an exciting time for you! I secretly am jealous because it seems like it would be such an adventure but since we have a business here and like the quality of life, we won't ever be leaving. As I frequently use the internet, I know that often the information is not always completely truthful and, at minimum, can be one-sided. I found this out a few times just trying to get some opinions and book a good vacation rental in Orlando, LOL. With that being said, here goes nothing...
The Greater Hazleton Area is actually a part of what is formally known as The Poconos. For you New Yorkers, it is exactly a 2 hour drive, basically on I80. I have a neighbor who works in Manhattan and commutes every day - has done this for over a decade. While I don't know the details, there are also buses daily. From Philadelphia, Hazleton is about an hour and 45 minutes. Looking on a Pennsylvania map, Greater Hazleton is where Interstates 80 and 81 cross. I always knew that the gorgeous mountain and valley geography combined with these two major Interstates (bisecting) would bring people ... I just wasn't sure when.
Like ALL cities, there are areas of business, big box stores, good neighborhoods, impoverished neighborhoods, suburbs, urban sprawl, etc. It is very important to realize that the issues the city itself is facing is nothing unusual for anywhere else experiencing growth in this decade...only that it has made the national news. There you have it, the truth. Hazleton is dealing with the SAME PROBLEMS as every other US City. Only the media is covering it and they add hype and 'fear' that either doesn't really exist or is nothing like it is actually is portrayed. That is fine with me but let's keep things in perspective. It is also ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS to say that the people here are BIGOTS, what an awful way to classify me and very untrue! It seems like that statement is, in itself, bigotry. And, furthermore, the problems our city faces has nothing to do with HISPANICS. What an awful thing to say about hispanic people! Problems here are related to people in this country illegally. Period. This problem has brought many American cities grief ... from illegal drug use and sales to poverty and crime from a group of people who are taken advantage of by SOME, not all, companies. Furthermore, new and old residents of the city are working TOGETHER to combat the problem - drugs and crime are bad and all legal residents are working hard to maintain their neighborhoods. This has NOTHING to do with ones race.
This area IS changing. Two examples I've noticed are that many people have indeed moved here. They are generally from larger urban areas looking for a BETTER way of life and are caucasian, hispanic, and russian in demographic. They have purchased (reasonably priced) homes made available primarily from the estates of an aging population and revitalized them. I see it all the time. Yep, Work Permits. New porches, windows, siding, and paint can be seen from the exterior. Neighborhoods are alive again with pedestrians, dogwalkers, jumpropers, bicycles. People sit on their porches and barbecue in the back yard. Property values are rising VERY VERY quickly in both Hazleton and the surrounding areas.
The second big thing I've noticed is growth in the surrounding valley (the city is atop a mountain). At least half of this growth seems to also be from people from urban areas looking for a more affordable way to live, work, raise a family, or retire. The area is simply 'very conveniently located'. There are golf course communities, ski communities, and lake communities. These areas of rapid growth are Drums 18222 (Butler Twp.) and Sugarloaf 18249. 2500-3500 square foot homes and townhouses from $200,000-$300,000 on average. The areas are beautiful and there is alot of room to spread out. Property values are also climbing fast, with new construction both slated and in progress.
There is alot here and the REAL TRUTH is that the secret is out. There is value here and there is a great, affordable way of life. Penn State University has a campus in Hazleton, there are State Parks galore: swimming, camping, hiking, fishing. Scenery. Golf-a-plenty (and many courses are public). Convenient Interstates. Country farm markets. The best italian food in the country...and bakeries. Church and other festivals boasting ethnic foods and community flavor. (That's good for 5lbs per summer.) Newer schools. Amazing and CARING teachers. Shorter lines. Shorter commutes (for most). Business Parks/Corporate Centers. Manufacturing is in separate, well planned, industrial areas. Jobs. Affordable, but rapidly rising, housing and rentals. Endless skiing and snowtubing. Great community parks and playgrounds. ACTIVE sports leagues for children and active moms and dads to coach. If you drive 20 minutes up I81 you have great concerts, the Minor League Yankees, Wachovia Arena / shows, everything shopping. Scarred and abandoned mining areas to the south of the actual city are being reclaimed. We even have a still open drive-in movie theatre. This area is on the move in the right direction, don't be fooled.
I think the spirit of this area is great. If I were being re-located anywhere this would be the most important thing to me. Places don't mean much without good neighbors and friends. The people have been classified as 'closed-minded' or 'bigots' on these boards but I really don't see that at all. I think that's really the ultimate reason I've posted this because I find that to be so untrue. People I know are interested in moving forward economically, interested in technology, place respect in higher education, and seem to be very typical and honest neighbors. They value and demand quality and safety for the children they are raising and are normal, intelligent, hard working Americans. They may be a little more conservative but I believe that that stems from wanting that small-town community feeling and nothing personal to anyone else. The Hazleton Chamber is always actively seeking more tech companies and white collar jobs for our workforce and our children and it's only a matter of time.
If you have been re-located to this area I can guarantee you that you are lucky. I've lived and traveled enough to see what is out there and the Hazleton Area is a VERY STRONG contender for alot of different reasons. If you are looking for (currently) affordable retirement I would not waste another day but get in the car (or airplane) and explore this area. Start with Sand Springs Golf Community (Drums 18222) and Eagle Rock Resort (Hazleton 18201). If you are a business needing to cut costs for yourself and your employees I would do the same. Start with the Can-Do Corporate Center on Rt 309 (Drums 18222) or either of the industrial parks (Hazleton 18201). There are tax incentives for business. This area has it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 11:47 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,431,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raising_My_Family View Post
I am a resident of Greater Hazleton and look to this site because I love all the interesting data. I often use it for a variety of reasons but after stumbling upon these forums feel that there is a need for a few corrections in the information seen by this nation on Hazleton, PA and surrounding areas. I love that when people are relocated due to work (or in their search for a better and more affordable alternative to city living) they end up here on these boards. What an exciting time for you! I secretly am jealous because it seems like it would be such an adventure but since we have a business here and like the quality of life, we won't ever be leaving. As I frequently use the internet, I know that often the information is not always completely truthful and, at minimum, can be one-sided. I found this out a few times just trying to get some opinions and book a good vacation rental in Orlando, LOL. With that being said, here goes nothing...
The Greater Hazleton Area is actually a part of what is formally known as The Poconos. For you New Yorkers, it is exactly a 2 hour drive, basically on I80. I have a neighbor who works in Manhattan and commutes every day - has done this for over a decade. While I don't know the details, there are also buses daily. From Philadelphia, Hazleton is about an hour and 45 minutes. Looking on a Pennsylvania map, Greater Hazleton is where Interstates 80 and 81 cross. I always knew that the gorgeous mountain and valley geography combined with these two major Interstates (bisecting) would bring people ... I just wasn't sure when.
Like ALL cities, there are areas of business, big box stores, good neighborhoods, impoverished neighborhoods, suburbs, urban sprawl, etc. It is very important to realize that the issues the city itself is facing is nothing unusual for anywhere else experiencing growth in this decade...only that it has made the national news. There you have it, the truth. Hazleton is dealing with the SAME PROBLEMS as every other US City. Only the media is covering it and they add hype and 'fear' that either doesn't really exist or is nothing like it is actually is portrayed. That is fine with me but let's keep things in perspective. It is also ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS to say that the people here are BIGOTS, what an awful way to classify me and very untrue! It seems like that statement is, in itself, bigotry. And, furthermore, the problems our city faces has nothing to do with HISPANICS. What an awful thing to say about hispanic people! Problems here are related to people in this country illegally. Period. This problem has brought many American cities grief ... from illegal drug use and sales to poverty and crime from a group of people who are taken advantage of by SOME, not all, companies. Furthermore, new and old residents of the city are working TOGETHER to combat the problem - drugs and crime are bad and all legal residents are working hard to maintain their neighborhoods. This has NOTHING to do with ones race.
This area IS changing. Two examples I've noticed are that many people have indeed moved here. They are generally from larger urban areas looking for a BETTER way of life and are caucasian, hispanic, and russian in demographic. They have purchased (reasonably priced) homes made available primarily from the estates of an aging population and revitalized them. I see it all the time. Yep, Work Permits. New porches, windows, siding, and paint can be seen from the exterior. Neighborhoods are alive again with pedestrians, dogwalkers, jumpropers, bicycles. People sit on their porches and barbecue in the back yard. Property values are rising VERY VERY quickly in both Hazleton and the surrounding areas.
The second big thing I've noticed is growth in the surrounding valley (the city is atop a mountain). At least half of this growth seems to also be from people from urban areas looking for a more affordable way to live, work, raise a family, or retire. The area is simply 'very conveniently located'. There are golf course communities, ski communities, and lake communities. These areas of rapid growth are Drums 18222 (Butler Twp.) and Sugarloaf 18249. 2500-3500 square foot homes and townhouses from $200,000-$300,000 on average. The areas are beautiful and there is alot of room to spread out. Property values are also climbing fast, with new construction both slated and in progress.
There is alot here and the REAL TRUTH is that the secret is out. There is value here and there is a great, affordable way of life. Penn State University has a campus in Hazleton, there are State Parks galore: swimming, camping, hiking, fishing. Scenery. Golf-a-plenty (and many courses are public). Convenient Interstates. Country farm markets. The best italian food in the country...and bakeries. Church and other festivals boasting ethnic foods and community flavor. (That's good for 5lbs per summer.) Newer schools. Amazing and CARING teachers. Shorter lines. Shorter commutes (for most). Business Parks/Corporate Centers. Manufacturing is in separate, well planned, industrial areas. Jobs. Affordable, but rapidly rising, housing and rentals. Endless skiing and snowtubing. Great community parks and playgrounds. ACTIVE sports leagues for children and active moms and dads to coach. If you drive 20 minutes up I81 you have great concerts, the Minor League Yankees, Wachovia Arena / shows, everything shopping. Scarred and abandoned mining areas to the south of the actual city are being reclaimed. We even have a still open drive-in movie theatre. This area is on the move in the right direction, don't be fooled.
I think the spirit of this area is great. If I were being re-located anywhere this would be the most important thing to me. Places don't mean much without good neighbors and friends. The people have been classified as 'closed-minded' or 'bigots' on these boards but I really don't see that at all. I think that's really the ultimate reason I've posted this because I find that to be so untrue. People I know are interested in moving forward economically, interested in technology, place respect in higher education, and seem to be very typical and honest neighbors. They value and demand quality and safety for the children they are raising and are normal, intelligent, hard working Americans. They may be a little more conservative but I believe that that stems from wanting that small-town community feeling and nothing personal to anyone else. The Hazleton Chamber is always actively seeking more tech companies and white collar jobs for our workforce and our children and it's only a matter of time.
If you have been re-located to this area I can guarantee you that you are lucky. I've lived and traveled enough to see what is out there and the Hazleton Area is a VERY STRONG contender for alot of different reasons. If you are looking for (currently) affordable retirement I would not waste another day but get in the car (or airplane) and explore this area. Start with Sand Springs Golf Community (Drums 18222) and Eagle Rock Resort (Hazleton 18201). If you are a business needing to cut costs for yourself and your employees I would do the same. Start with the Can-Do Corporate Center on Rt 309 (Drums 18222) or either of the industrial parks (Hazleton 18201). There are tax incentives for business. This area has it all.
Amen to that, and a big fat rep point to you sir/ mam
We were only gone for 4 years, came back, and found homes to be up in value (sometimes $100,000.00 in comparison to previous years), and that's a GOOD thing for the area!
Yes, the city has issues at the moment, and hopefully, will be sorted out in time.
But, while it is nice for you to lobby for the city..(Bravo )........
I think the word is out already big time, and HAS been for people from the big cities. (I see a massive amount of NY/ NJ license plates now!)
Better living, cheaper living, nice people, endless possibilities....
But, hey, there will ALWAYS be the "doom and gloom" people, anywhere you go.......I guess, that's a good thing, to "keep the balance"...lol

Old 06-05-2007, 12:41 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,423,442 times
Although I'm not from Hazleton, Pa. I will say that Hazleton is a Great town with a Great Mayor, who's people stand up for their town and their Country.
I'm formerly from So, Calf. and I'm with Illegal Immigration VS Americans for Legal Immigration PAC. I saw the June Rally with William Gheen.
Thank You
Citizens of Hazleton

YouTube - Hazleton Rally June 3, 2007 - Mayor Barletta's speech

Old 06-13-2007, 05:29 PM

1 posts, read 7,670 times
Even though I live in NJ I am up in Hazleton almost every or every other week. Yeah those house prices are skyrocketing. In Eagle Rock Resort my dad is a builder and has the top 5 selling homes in the resort. (only 5 had been sold the rest the customers kept)

One thing that is annoying me is the airport as you guys probably know of. FedEx and UPS already said they have no need for it (which would be the main users), they could just upgrade the small airport in Hazleton or the one in Wilkes Barre, the jobs will attract even more illegal immigrants and the high paying jobs will be to design the place and those people will come from elsewhere(my dad used to be one of them), Hazleton will waste millions of dollars and would ruin the pristine nature of the ares, all the meetings they have aren't even in Hazleton and the major one is going to be in Maryland!!

So I hope this airport craze will stop when someone gets some common sense and stop this.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:14 PM

414 posts, read 1,779,268 times
Quote:
.....wonderful post! I attempted to defend Hazleton awhile back but didn't come close to being this thorough or convincing.....

I had to muse to my self about the local drive-in....there are others around including the Garden Drive-In on Rte. 11 between Hunlock's Creek and W. Nanticoke and even a triple screen drive in south of Willamsport...near Montgomery, i believe.....

Old 06-15-2007, 08:37 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,025 times
I grew up in Berks County. Around age 10 to 12 my Dad had a share in a vacation / hunting cabin in Sullivan County just off rt. 118. Since it was a 3 hr drive back then, we'd usually leave before day break, so we'd be passing thru Hazelton just in time for breakfast at the Blue Comet Diner. I am flooded with wonderful memories as I write this post. I haven't been to or thru Hazelton for years, and I'm wondering if the Blue Comet Diner is still there.

regards...Franco

Old 06-15-2007, 11:08 AM
MB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by francowell View Post
I grew up in Berks County. Around age 10 to 12 my Dad had a share in a vacation / hunting cabin in Sullivan County just off rt. 118. Since it was a 3 hr drive back then, we'd usually leave before day break, so we'd be passing thru Hazelton just in time for breakfast at the Blue Comet Diner. I am flooded with wonderful memories as I write this post. I haven't been to or thru Hazelton for years, and I'm wondering if the Blue Comet Diner is still there.

regards...Franco
Blue Comet Diner is/ was still there. There was an article in the paper just last week, that they closed it down....but missed the reason why.
The diner is situated in a ....well.....mmmhhhhh......not sure on how to politely put it, but, "not so desirable" area, unless you are of hispanic descent.
Sorry, can't put it any other way......

Old 06-16-2007, 12:35 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Hazleton is long overdue for its "rebirth" in one way, shape, or form. Scranton has "The Office," a new film office, Wall Street West, the upcoming medical school, etc. to give people up there something to look forward to. Pittston is seeing 100+ new luxury waterfront condos being built in its downtown next year, which are expected to serve as a catalyst for its downtown. Wilkes-Barre has the new theater, Barnes & Noble, restaurants, and the upcoming law school and river commons upgrades to be excited about. Then you have Hazleton---so much potential that is just going to waste.

The population of the Hazleton Area is the most rapidly-growing in the county; I believe it now surpasses both the Back Mountain and Mountain Top in terms of growth. Hazleton City and West Hazleton have noticed small population declines overall in recent years, but Hazle Township, Butler Township (Drums), Black Creek Township (Eagle Rock), and Sugarloaf Township have all been growing like thirsty weeds. The recent national media spotlight being shone upon the town, in my opinion, has created a positive "buzz" about the area and the mayor. Being located right at the intersection of I-80 and I-81, two of the most important highways in the Northeast (after I-95), is also a major bonus.

One hurdle it has to jump over to improve itself is its crime. A city of 25,000 people should not be having stabbings, shootings, drug busts, etc. on a weekly basis. That has instilled a sense of FEAR into locals about venturing into the city at all, much less investing in it. Mayor Barletta is doing a great thing by battling the city's problems with illegal immigration, but he needs to hire at least a few more cops as well. I don't think most city residents would object to a very minor tax increase to hire a few more cops---you can't put a price on personal safety.

I also don't quite think Hazleton has a "bonus" in the way of architecture either though. While Scranton and Wilkes-Barre each have historic districts with dozens, if not hundreds, of Victorians, Greek Revivals, Queen-Annes, etc., Hazleton seems to have very few---perhaps in the "Terrace" neighborhood of the city, which seems to be a bit more upper-middle-class in stature. With that being said I've never ventured far off the "beaten path" during all of my visits to Hazleton, so perhaps I'll be proven wrong when I go to do my photo tour over the next week or two.

Hazleton did a great thing several years ago with that "Pine Street" residential infill project, and I'd like to see more of that occur; getting more people to live within walking distance of downtown is a great way to help encourage its revival.

I'm likewise skeptical about this cargo airport---why can't the existing airport just be upgraded? A city of 25,000 people (perhaps 45,000 when the suburbs are included) does not need TWO airports, in my opinion.

Hazleton will round the corner to prosperity as well; it's just taking a little while longer for some reason or other than Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.

Old 06-16-2007, 04:07 PM
MB2

Thumbs up Yup...second that....

I wholeheartedly agree, and yet another well written and articulate post, by none other then our own Paul
Hazleton does have potential, and I have no doubt about it.
I guess, down here it's a bit more of a slower and sluggish process, on what the rejuvination is concerned.
I am sure, over time they will get the hang of it.......(One hopes......*sigh* )

Old 03-24-2009, 08:18 AM

30 posts, read 118,242 times
Thumbs up Daily bus service from Hazleton to NY

Quote:
I agree with you, which is why I am looking to move here, getting a bit tired of the noise in New York. Though there has been some news about crime and immigrants, I believe in time this area will only get better. But I would like to inquiry of the daily bus services to NY, as I like my job and intend to keep for for now. Do you know the name of the bus company or any site where I might check this, it would be very helpful.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania