Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 10:49 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,119,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAemma View Post
No, it's not out at all. It's very much still in the mix. I just have little info on it. My husband is worried it is too far away from things but from what I can tell it is not. Or at least not much further than Locust Lake is from things. It is MY front runner, but I have some work to do with him.

How crowded it is there? Do they do a lot of activities for the family?
The pool can be crowded on the weekends, but we still manage to get a nice, shady spot. There's a nice beach at the lake and I don't find that to be too crowded. They don't have constant organized activities but they do have Christmas, Easter and Halloween parties for the kids. There's a teach a kid to fish day. There is also a nice game room with video games, air hockey and pool tables. Everyone wins something in there! There is also "Fun Day" on the 4th with games for the kids, pie eating contest, etc. I like the big outdoor deck - they have entertainment on it during the day most weekends in summer. Parents are always there with kids and the little ones dance with the DJ. There's a snack bar and ice cream. The restaurant is open to everyone, but if you become a member of the club you can buy alcohol. There's a bar inside and summer weekends they usually put one on the deck too. For the most part you have to be a property owner to join so you don't have any kind of trouble with fighting or rowdiness. A lot of it is make your own kind of fun though. Tennis and Basketball courts (which we usually have to ourselves). We love to ride our bikes and just walk around in there.

I like that it isn't in an area that's very builit up. There is a supermarket outside (Hazle Park) that has anything you'd want for a weekend including an excellent butcher/good quality meat. Close enough to Hickory Run, Beltzville and Lake Harmony. Not far from Jim Thorpe. Enough good restaurants if you want to go out. But you can just sit out back with a fire and enjoy the peace and quiet too. Sorry to sound like such a commercial. lol We've had the house for a few years and we're (finally) expecting a baby this summer so I just can't wait to do all of this with him!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 02:10 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,829,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newswatcher View Post
What is the yearly usage fee for homes at Lake Naomi? Does that differ from the Townhouses in the area?
I do really like all the ammenities at Lake Naomi. Are there any nearby communities with similar offerings?
Thank you so much to everyone here. Making a second home purchase is even more nerve wracking than my primary home. I appreciate all the help and advice!
townhouses?? Arrowhead is just up 940 with similar ammenities - a very individual choice; each individual would have to visit to see what felt right. There are different fee structures but if one wanted the full golf (9 holes), tennis, beach/lakes, outdoor pool, indoor pool, indoor tennis package it'd be about $2500. I don't know what arrowhead fees are. In the immediate area, if avid golf was your thing, pinecrest and jack frost would be worth a look. Powerboating? lake harmony.

There are many nice vacation communities which can make the selection process quite difficult.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:02 PM

10 posts, read 34,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
townhouses?? Arrowhead is just up 940 with similar ammenities - a very individual choice; each individual would have to visit to see what felt right. There are different fee structures but if one wanted the full golf (9 holes), tennis, beach/lakes, outdoor pool, indoor pool, indoor tennis package it'd be about $2500. I don't know what arrowhead fees are. In the immediate area, if avid golf was your thing, pinecrest and jack frost would be worth a look. Powerboating? lake harmony.

There are many nice vacation communities which can make the selection process quite difficult.
We are mostly looking for an indoor/outdoor pool. The lake, restaurant and fitness facility are nice extras. We don't golf or ski.
I had no idea this was going to be such a difficult search!

Last edited by newswatcher; 05-26-2010 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: Line added

Old 05-26-2010, 03:07 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newswatcher View Post
We are mostly looking for an indoor/outdoor pool. The lake, restaurant and fitness facility are nice extras. We don't golf or ski.
I had no idea this was going to be such a difficult search!
Some people dont like WLE but we love it. It has the indoor/outdoor pool, has lake access, game room, golf carts(just bought one), beaches etc.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:01 PM

7 posts, read 18,294 times
Towamensing Trails, doesnt offer as much as Arrowhead!
Towamensing trails has: 1 pool, one lake, one beach, and one clubhouse
Arrowhead has: 3 heated pools, 4 beaches, 2 beautiful blue lakes, a gym inside of the welcome center, and also has a clubhouse and a new lodge will be built. Arrowhead is also more succleuded in the woods, towamensing is right off route 903. It isnt bad there, but im happy we bought in arrowhead!

Old 05-31-2010, 04:54 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,140,849 times
Lol

Old 05-31-2010, 06:39 PM

7 posts, read 18,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAemma View Post
AL-NJ,

How crowded is Arrowhead? Are the pools/beaches overcrowded? Is the gate a nuisance for guests? What do you like least about the community? The best?

Why would you recommend it to someone?

Yes I would. Its a great place to be, definatley check it out!

Old 05-31-2010, 11:20 PM

513 posts, read 1,080,314 times
Arrowhead does have more pools, lakes, beaches, etc. It is also much larger than Towamensing Trails, many more houses. IMO, you can't beat TT if you are from the Philly area, also check out Bear Creek Lakes further south on 903, closer to the turnpike exit at Mahoning Valley. It is a simple fact that there are cultural differences between folks from the Philly metro area vs the central NJ/NY metro area, and the further north and east you go, the higher the influence of that area is. Not good, not bad, just different, and both areas produce their fair share of knuckleheads and creeps. TT has alot of folks from Philly area and Delaware county. There is major shopping close to that turnpike exit - Walmart, Giant supermarket, etc, etc. A new Turnpike exit is being built just 5 minutes from TT, right now it is 25 minutes from the Mahoning Valley exti. Right outside of TT is a convenient small market, a couple of restaurants. Lots to do within 20 minutes, including Hickory Run State Park, Jack Frost Big Boulder and H2Oooh indoor water park, atv rentals, paintball, mountain biking, rafting/kayaking/canoeing. Penn's Peak is 15 minutes away, great music/entertainment venue. Jim Thorpe is 20 minutes away, really cool little town with several good restaurants and bars, entertainment, interesting shops, etc, etc
A no traffic commute from center city Philadelphia is 2 hours, 1.5 hours from King of Prussia. Last 25 minutes on uncrowded, nice mountain roads.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:04 PM

212 posts, read 502,475 times
Lake Naomi is great... however the home owner fee is roughly about 3000 a year. and average tax is also about 3000-5000 a year...

so lets say you buy the house with cash, no mortgage, you are still looking at 6000-8000 a year just from tax and home owner association fee.

In other words, 500-670 a month.

Plus mortgage... most houses are in the 300k range, the only foreclosure townhouse in the market today (no property, fully attached) cost 150k.

say you put 20% down, you are carrying a mortgage of 240k at 5% 30 years, 240k is about 2000 a month

total bill to own a house in Lake Naomi = 2000+600+80 (insurance) = 2680 PER month.

For a full time home is a reasonable price, not for a vacation home. well I guess it is ok if you are rich

Old 06-02-2010, 06:13 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,140,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconogirl View Post
Lake Naomi is great... however the home owner fee is roughly about 3000 a year. and average tax is also about 3000-5000 a year...

so lets say you buy the house with cash, no mortgage, you are still looking at 6000-8000 a year just from tax and home owner association fee.

In other words, 500-670 a month.

Plus mortgage... most houses are in the 300k range, the only foreclosure townhouse in the market today (no property, fully attached) cost 150k.

say you put 20% down, you are carrying a mortgage of 240k at 5% 30 years, 240k is about 2000 a month

total bill to own a house in Lake Naomi = 2000+600+80 (insurance) = 2680 PER month.

For a full time home is a reasonable price, not for a vacation home. well I guess it is ok if you are rich

As Ralph Kramden would say

"" A Mere Bag Of Shells "

Remember the Honeymooners ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania