Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2010, 06:52 PM

3 posts, read 7,988 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a condo in the Arlington area that is somewhere in the price range of $1,500 to $2,000 a month. I must also mention that I'm a 25 year old professional African American guy. I'm also looking for a community that would be open and friendly. Would the Courthouse area of Arlington be a good fit for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 05:51 AM

6 posts, read 16,786 times
Condos anywhere along the Orange line will be very expensive!

As a general rule, I think Arlington is progressive-minded.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:41 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,948,267 times
It's a great area. Depending how close you want to be to the metro, you'll be near the top of your budget.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:10 AM

262 posts, read 841,319 times
Yes, I would guess $1600 a month (not including parking or amenities, etc) would be good starting point, $1800 be more target range for a building not filled with just graduated from college kids.

Overall, for all of Arlington, best value options I was told of are Schlosberg Properties -- The Barton House, Arlington VA and Virginia Management - Potomac Towers. http://www.ballstonpark.com/s/homepage was also recommended as good quality for the money housing in Arlington.

I found this while doing some google research: http://www.condo1.com/leasing.asp

Rents apparently go up in summer as influx of new grads starting new jobs creates greater demand. Rents supposedly go down (maybe up to couple hundred dollars) in winter, when there is less demand, so you could consider short term lease and finding more permanent housing in winter months at hopefully lower rents.

From what I've read, Courthouse and Clarendon are the more happening areas, but Ballston might be cheaper, or at least more value for your money, because it just seems like large apartment complexes and some shopping in the area.

Last edited by mshan242709; 06-29-2010 at 08:18 AM..

Old 06-29-2010, 08:12 AM

380 posts, read 1,062,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American_Made 2.0 View Post
I'm looking for a condo in the Arlington area that is somewhere in the price range of $1,500 to $2,000 a month. I must also mention that I'm a 25 year old professional African American guy. I'm also looking for a community that would be open and friendly. Would the Courthouse area of Arlington be a good fit for me?
I don't know of any, where it would still be necessary to state your race. Most, will find your income and credit to be of much more importance.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:36 AM

947 posts, read 1,402,626 times
Bet you can get a good deal on that apartment in Arlington where those two just-arrested Russian spies were living!

Old 06-29-2010, 11:57 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,173,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokemaster View Post
I don't know of any, where it would still be necessary to state your race. Most, will find your income and credit to be of much more importance.
I would agree that race would be irrelevant in this case. Unlike across the river in Prince Georges County MD, there are no major African-American enclaves in Arlington or really anywhere of Northern Virginia. Landlords and people in general or more likely to be concerned about your socioeconomic status; that is, if you're a young professional among other young professionals, you're likely to be respected and accepted.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:49 PM

6 posts, read 16,786 times
If you are looking for a newer luxury type building, you might want to look at the Gramercy at Metropolitan Park in Pentagon City. I took a tour there and was pretty impressed. The square footage was small but the area in fantastic (shopping/commute time to DC, etc). It's right across the street from Costco.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:23 PM

593 posts, read 2,440,382 times
I know you'll have no problem at all finding a condo to rent in your price range in Court House. Funny thing is, I live there, am also in my mid/late 20's.

1 Bedroom apartments in the various high-rise apartment complexes in Court House tend to go for between $1650 and $2000.

What Mshan said a few posts above is definitely true in Court House: You'll pay more if you move in during the summer months. For instance, I moved in to my 1-BR in Court House last November, and was able to rent it for $1,700/mo -- plus, I got 1 month rent-free! The same exact sized apartments in my building are now (June/July) going for ~$1,800/mo, with no free month of rent.

I'll also concur with what others have said regarding race -- you'll find this neighborhood to be fairly progressive, and it also skews towards a younger age on average. These factors combined seem to make it a place which is very open and friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: