Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 01:47 PM

85 posts, read 182,573 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

We (me and my wife in our late 20's - expecting a kid soon!!) have recently relocated to Northern Virginia. We are currently renting an apt in Vienna. I am looking for some help in narrowing down to one or two specific city/areas where we can consider buying a place in next few months.

Here is the list of things we thought about:

- We are first time home buyers
- We are looking to buy for longer term - 10 years or more.
- I currently work in Mclean on a project, but over next few years I may be working anywhere in greater metro area (Mclean, vienna, Tysons, DC, Alexandria , Arlington etc)
- Budget for home purchase up to 400K for 3 BR+, 2 Bath+ (TH or SF - Less than 5 years old)
- I am hoping to restrict commute to about 30 mins to 45 mins
- We will have a kid soon and it's critical to have a very good public school system.
- We like suburban environment, quiet and low crime neighboorhood, we are not too much into night life/party etc.
- I am ok to commute by car or park at the metro station so nearness to metro is not that critical

If I am missing any other details, please let me know and I will add.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by spidercharm; 06-22-2007 at 02:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 02:10 PM

261 posts, read 1,668,573 times
Less than 5 years old and under 400k sounds like Gainesville, Manassas, Bristow, and those types of places. Woodbridge may fit the price but the homes will be older. I have no idea what the commute time would be from Manassas to McLean though.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:15 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,111,468 times
Your challenge is going to be in meeting the "newer home criteria" within your budget ($400K) and within 45 minute commute max. Depending on where you work now or in the future, VRE may not be an option, but that's the mode of transportation you may have to look at if you want a newer home accessible to public transportation. You'll find good schools in Arlington, Fairfax and Loudoun County so that won't be a problem.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb124 View Post
Less than 5 years old and under 400k sounds like Gainesville, Manassas, Bristow, and those types of places. Woodbridge may fit the price but the homes will be older. I have no idea what the commute time would be from Manassas to McLean though.
Thanks for the reply. Those cities are little further than where I may want to be. What if I can somehow manage 450K?

Old 06-22-2007, 02:30 PM

Also, I am wondering if Bethesda/Silver Spring region might work out..I am completely ignorant on price points though...

Also, I am curious if current real estate decline would make some of the other NOVA areas more reasonable in next 6 months or so?

Old 06-22-2007, 02:30 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,904,119 times
why does everyone want New?? my old 1960's house was WAYYY better built than my "newer 2000" house by pulte! (crappy builder IMO) most of the older houses have be refirbished or can be and make great home with bigger lots and big trees.

Word of advice from an "oldie"........
You have anew baby on the way.... DON'T put more into a house than you can realiticly afford! you will have SO MANY new expenses comming your way...diapers, baby food clotes, etc... stick with your budget of 400k and go for an older TH in a great location. Then in 5 or so years...use your equity to "move-up" into a newer place. Simple things like paint and ripping up carpet, changing our light fixture etc... can make a 1960's house more updated...instant equity.

or...go for the 60min commute and buy in Gainsville or Ashburn.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:37 PM

When I upped my search to 450k on Realtor.com (keeping the age requirement) some houses showed up in Ashburn, which is an ok area and may be closer.

I agree with MLV, if you relax the requirement on the age of the home you might be able to get into a starter home closer in. When I took out the age requirements I found places in Fairfax County.

Edit: I agree with 5stones. My first condo was as old as I was and all it needed was new carpet, paint, and a couple of fixtures to look new on the inside. And it's true that the older stuff is better then the newer stuff, in general. My new condo is only 10 years old but there are problems everywhere.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:37 PM

Thanks for the advice. One reason behind it was that my wife and I kind of like contemporary touch better. But, I am sure we can find that in houses that are upgraded and renovated in last few years.

If 5 years or newer is not the criteria, what would be a great location that would meet other requirements that we have listed? Such as suburban and quiet neighborhood, great public school etc?

It's critical for us that we narrow it down to specific area or two in order to make it easier.

I can't explain how helpful this feedback is for a newbie to NOVA like me.

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
why does everyone want New?? my old 1960's house was WAYYY better built than my "newer 2000" house by pulte! (crappy builder IMO) most of the older houses have be refirbished or can be and make great home with bigger lots and big trees.

Word of advice from an "oldie"........
You have anew baby on the way.... DON'T put more into a house than you can realiticly afford! you will have SO MANY new expenses comming your way...diapers, baby food clotes, etc... stick with your budget of 400k and go for an older TH in a great location. Then in 5 or so years...use your equity to "move-up" into a newer place. Simple things like paint and ripping up carpet, changing our light fixture etc... can make a 1960's house more updated...instant equity.

or...go for the 60min commute and buy in Gainsville or Ashburn.

Last edited by spidercharm; 06-22-2007 at 02:48 PM..

Old 06-22-2007, 02:43 PM

Thanks jb124.

If we relax age of home requirement, what would you suggest a best city might be for us specifically?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb124 View Post
When I upped my search to 450k on Realtor.com (keeping the age requirement) some houses showed up in Ashburn, which is an ok area and may be closer.

I agree with MLV, if you relax the requirement on the age of the home you might be able to get into a starter home closer in. When I took out the age requirements I found places in Fairfax County.

Edit: I agree with 5stones. My first condo was as old as I was and all it needed was new carpet, paint, and a couple of fixtures to look new on the inside. And it's true that the older stuff is better then the newer stuff, in general. My new condo is only 10 years old but there are problems everywhere.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:48 PM

I'd talk to a realtor, they know the neighborhoods and have access to the MLS so they can come up with very detailed searches and provide you with a short list of things to look at every Saturday or whenever

I'd aim for Fairfax County outside of the Beltway, like Burke, Annandale, Springfield (including West and North), Fairfax, Chantilly, Reston, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia