Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 09:06 AM

184 posts, read 313,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I thought that was a public housing community in Old Town Alexandria.
It could be, it is what I call it here in Leesburg, but then again I am fairly new here. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 09:19 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,748,357 times
Ricky, if you want a place to stay that's close while you look for jobs, I'd suggest finding a furnished apartment in River Place: www.furnishedindc.com. My wife and I are staying here for a month between the sale of one home and purchase of another. It's a sort of 1950s-ish in its appearance, but it has lots of young people, a fantastic pool and hot tub, and is safe and convenient to everything (except Leesburg and Tyson's Corner). It would allow you to have housing nailed down without a long-term commitment.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:58 PM

14 posts, read 18,932 times
Wow... Crazy couple of days, so I havent really had the chance to check out this thread. Lots of great help and good wishes. I really appreciate all the kind words and help from everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
I think you can definitely find a room for $750/month in Leesburg. If you're open to suggestions I might even recommend trying to look in Sterling or Herndon because most peers of mine I know who live in Leesburg hate how "isolated" they feel from nightlife, the dating scene, and social functions with friends. Heck, I live in Reston, a place where tons of people work in DC, and I've tried to date guys in Arlington who think I'm "too far away."
HAHA...

Well, I am DEFINITELY open to suggestions and will definitely be looking at the areas you suggested. Seems there is alot more to offer just by quickly checking out Craigslist.

The thing is, what I really liked about Leesburg (years ago) was the mountains, the trees and the fresh air. Living in Miami, all there is are Palm trees and concrete. There are no real open areas that are good for walking or biking, and the traffic and people blow.

Now I know that Leesburg has changed ALOT over the years... something I will see for myself in the next couple of days as I explore the NoVA area. Im expecting it to be alot like the surburbanized areas of Miami, but better planned and with more care to the environment.

Not sure how I feel about that. I might find it TOO developed for what I wanted, but i cant imagine I can find something less developed without going way further West into the boonies. Herndon and Stirling both seem real nice, but do they still have the mountain view?

Do you guys have any other suggestions for me? Any words of advice?

PS: I also want to just make a disclaimer that while I have lived most of my life in Miami, I have also lived in quite a few other places. I have lived in Goodyear AZ, Cape Girardo MO, Naples FL and even Manhattan NY. They all have their + and -, but Leesburg (in my mind) is where I want to be.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:42 PM

648 posts, read 1,336,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawdikrik View Post
Hello all.

I am taking the leap. I huge one. It's pretty nerve racking and am just looking for some peace. I havent found a roommate ad that fits me or that I fit to. A few that seemed like good possibilities have been dead ends and no one seems to want to email me back.

Don't feel bad; the same thing is happening to me, too - I've emailed and called numerous ads on craigslist for rooms for rent and no one will respond. And I'm a chick. I don't know what it is with that website. It's like where all the world's biggest flakes congregate.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyusha25 View Post
Don't feel bad; the same thing is happening to me, too - I've emailed and called numerous ads on craigslist for rooms for rent and no one will respond. And I'm a chick. I don't know what it is with that website. It's like where all the world's biggest flakes congregate.
And you're a chick? Do you know how many ad's Ive had to skip over just because they say the want women only? Freaking BS.

When/where are you planning on moving? If it matches up with me, we can just be each others roommates.

I have a friend that I can stay with in CVille, but with her having a kid, I dont want to be even more of a burden.

She is being kind enough offering me her place. I dont want to abuse my welcome.

On a side note, Drove up US 29 today... and man how I love the views. Flat Florida cant hold a candle to these wonderful scenic routes.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
And you're a chick? Do you know how many ad's Ive had to skip over just because they say the want women only? Freaking BS.

When/where are you planning on moving? If it matches up with me, we can just be each others roommates.

I have a friend that I can stay with in CVille, but with her having a kid, I dont want to be even more of a burden.

She is being kind enough offering me her place. I dont want to abuse my welcome.

On a side note, Drove up US 29 today... and man how I love the views. Flat Florida cant hold a candle to these wonderful scenic routes.
That's exactly my point! I'm a girl, and they STILL won't call me back.
You know what's funny, though? I just noticed at the top of all the roomate ads on craigslist, it states, "Stating a discriminatory preference in a housing post is illegal - please flag discriminatory posts as prohibited"

So while they can just not choose to take you as a roomate, they really aren't allowed to advertise that they only want women/men. Flag 'em!

I'm coming over on Sept. 4th. I'm staying in temp housing in a family's guesthouse for 2 weeks until I can find somewhere to live. My time there is up, I think, by the 17th. I'm looking in Reston, as that's where I'll be working. Reston/Herndon area.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:26 AM

Ricky, another option I have found is roomates.com. While I had to pay $20 for 30 days to use it, I certainly get a lot more responses than from stupid craigslist.

A word of caution though: Sometimes when someone emails you offering their room, and you see it's too far out and decline, they ask you to dinner instead =/

Last edited by katyusha25; 08-13-2010 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: Missed a word.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Ricky, another option I have found is roomates.com. While I had to pay $20 for 30 days to use it, I certainly get a lot more responses than from stupid craigslist.

A word of caution though: Sometimes when someone emails you offering their room, and you see it's too far out and decline, they ask you to dinner instead =/
As a straight male, im sure that will not be a problem.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
As a straight male, im sure that will not be a problem.

You never know...

Keep us posted!

Old 08-14-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
You never know...

Keep us posted!
Well... IM back in Miami taking care of some finances and last minute things. All my belongings are in VA... which means I am living on a couch at this time. It sucks, but It is also necessary. Saving up as much as I can to pay up a nice 3 months of rent and get my employment set up in VA.

Honestly, I still havent really narrowed out where Id like to live. I see myself continuously moving until i find the perfect place. Im also keeping an eye on this site to hear what people have to say.

Paying for the upgraded Roommates.com thing today. Hopefully something will come of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia