Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 06:57 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,248,659 times

Advertisements

So I got another new job. I now work across the street from Fair Oaks mall in Fairfax. I live in south Arlington less than a mile from Shirlington. Commute time is 30-35 minutes. It seems like I'm meeting more and more folks who are doing reverse commutes.

So is me? Is it becoming more common as more and more jobs move further out for cheaper rents, particularly in a world where face-to-face contact becomes less necessary?

Also I'm looking for my own place (got a pretty good raise from the last job) and have thought about one of the many condo and apartment complexes around Fair Oaks mall. But I also think about just staying in Arlington because my social life still revolves around crossing the Potomac with only one good friend further out in Manassas (he has been trying to get me to move to Manassas for months). My money would go further in Manassas for sure but my social and love life would suffer. I think I'll just stay in Arlington but would love to hear from others.

Terrence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 07:11 AM

9,781 posts, read 15,798,761 times
My husband has been doing a reverse commute for 11 years to Manassas (one year from Falls Church; 10 years from Vienna). He hasn't complained about traffic getting significantly worse over that time period. He almost never hits traffic in the morning. In the afternoon, other than accidents, some holiday weekends are bad on I-66 with people headed toward the beltway or sometimes on Friday afternoons with people heading out of town in every direction. Overall, it's mostly distance rather than traffic that makes his commute long.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:22 AM

660 posts, read 1,706,052 times
I've been doing a reverse commute (Arlington to Oakton/Fairfax) for two years now. It's frustrating to think that I could live more cheaply and have a shorter commute, but I wouldn't really consider moving closer to my office, even though I have friends who live in the area.

The way things are right now, I can hang out with my Fairfax friends after work and then go home at night, or I can drive home and easily head into the District or Alexandria. If I lived out in Fairfax, it'd be really tiring to do anything in DC, and I've got a lot of friends there. Oddly, I don't really have any friends in Arlington, but it's the perfect location for me because it is in between my job, my multiple groups of friends, and my parents.

I'd stay put in Arlington, if you can afford to do so. I know you used to live in Oakton - do you miss the long treks into DC?

Old 08-17-2010, 07:29 AM

309 posts, read 828,897 times
Now in my mid 40's and in the same position you are in my 20's, I do sort of regret not taking advantage of buying. I had saved a good down payment but couldn't afford Arlington and decided to wait until I was ready to settle down in the burbs. Part of me laughs at my 20 something self as I had more time (I have children now and nothing else gives you perspective about time than this) to socialize and commute.

All about perspective. Would you look back and feel you might have missed the boat regarding building some equity and being able to trade up when you're ready to buy that house? get married? have children? Staying in this area?

Are the tradeoff's too big to contemplate at this point in your life? Any middle ground to achieve a balance between the two?

Old 08-17-2010, 09:14 AM

855 posts, read 1,173,664 times
As someone in my 20's, I encourage everyone in my age group who can to see what they can buy now since the prices are pretty decent. The Fairfax/Fair Oaks area would be a great investment. It may take a little longer to get into the District, but most people will still visit you even if you live farther out. It's really not that far in the grand scheme of things--from Fair Oaks to Arlington it's like 14 miles and to D.C. about 20 miles. So it's really not that bad. We live in Fairfax now and all of our friends still visit, and we still go to Arlington/DC whenever we want.

Also, since a lot of people our age live in Fairfax/Herndon/Reston/Tysons etc., you might make new friends.

Think of it as a short term sacrifice to reap a long term reward.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:23 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,135,974 times
I've been doing a sort of reverse commute for the past 3 years. I live in Lake Ridge and work in Manassas. Even though I have to hit a bunch of traffic lights, it's still much better than the stop and go driving on the highways. When I went looking for a new job 3 years ago, I actually looked to places where I didn't have to deal with the crazy traffic.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:45 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,421,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
As someone in my 20's, I encourage everyone in my age group who can to see what they can buy now since the prices are pretty decent. The Fairfax/Fair Oaks area would be a great investment. It may take a little longer to get into the District, but most people will still visit you even if you live farther out. It's really not that far in the grand scheme of things--from Fair Oaks to Arlington it's like 14 miles and to D.C. about 20 miles. So it's really not that bad. We live in Fairfax now and all of our friends still visit, and we still go to Arlington/DC whenever we want.

Also, since a lot of people our age live in Fairfax/Herndon/Reston/Tysons etc., you might make new friends.

Think of it as a short term sacrifice to reap a long term reward.
Char when was last time you drove rush hour?

Old 08-17-2010, 01:40 PM

855 posts, read 1,173,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
Char when was last time you drove rush hour?
I was under the impression that he wasn't talking about going to DC or Arlington during rush hour, but maybe to go out with friends at night?? I take 66 into the city all the time from Fairfax to DC/Arlington to meet up with friends and usually don't have any problems getting there at night.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:45 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
So I got another new job. I now work across the street from Fair Oaks mall in Fairfax. I live in south Arlington less than a mile from Shirlington. Commute time is 30-35 minutes. It seems like I'm meeting more and more folks who are doing reverse commutes.

So is me? Is it becoming more common as more and more jobs move further out for cheaper rents, particularly in a world where face-to-face contact becomes less necessary?

Also I'm looking for my own place (got a pretty good raise from the last job) and have thought about one of the many condo and apartment complexes around Fair Oaks mall. But I also think about just staying in Arlington because my social life still revolves around crossing the Potomac with only one good friend further out in Manassas (he has been trying to get me to move to Manassas for months). My money would go further in Manassas for sure but my social and love life would suffer. I think I'll just stay in Arlington but would love to hear from others.

Terrence
I did a reverse commute from West End Alexandria (right next to 395) to just North of Ft. Belvoir for a year. I took 395/95 S to 7100 to North Rt. 1. Not that much traffic usually at work or at home in 20-25 minutes. That commute will not be that great anymore with BRAC's stupid decision to move those jobs to Belvoir.

My buddy is a 20-something in Manassas and it's not a great place for singles. You are better off in Arlington.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:59 PM

404 posts, read 1,095,281 times
I've done the following reverse commutes over the last 3 years:
Tysons/Mclean to Herndon
Tysons/Mclean to Springfield
Old Town to Springfield

Each has been fine until you get off the highway, then it's pretty similar to normal traffic. Fortunately in most of my situations, my place of work or domicile has been fairly close to major roads. The worst I've had it is coming back on 495 from Springfield to Tysons. No matter if I'm coming at 2 PM or 5PM, the traffic always bunches up between 50 & 66, and then again as you arrive near 267. The later in the day, the worse the traffic is around the 495/123 interchange, as most of the Marylanders are getting off and beginning their long commute to wherever the hell they live across the bridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia