Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 05:26 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,258,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
My husband has been doing a reverse commute for 11 years to Manassas (one year from Falls Church; 10 years from Vienna). He hasn't complained about traffic getting significantly worse over that time period. He almost never hits traffic in the morning. In the afternoon, other than accidents, some holiday weekends are bad on I-66 with people headed toward the beltway or sometimes on Friday afternoons with people heading out of town in every direction. Overall, it's mostly distance rather than traffic that makes his commute long.
Sometimes the traffic on 66 can get rough in spots. In the morning it seems to be the construction that is backing things up. In the afternoon there is this spot between West Falls Church metro and Glebe Rd that always seems to get backed up. Last month did a temp job even further out out by Dulles I"m glad to just be going to Fair Oaks and its fun being able to walk to the mall during my lunch breaks . I'm going to be broke before I get my first paycheck though LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
I've been doing a reverse commute (Arlington to Oakton/Fairfax) for two years now. It's frustrating to think that I could live more cheaply and have a shorter commute, but I wouldn't really consider moving closer to my office, even though I have friends who live in the area.

The way things are right now, I can hang out with my Fairfax friends after work and then go home at night, or I can drive home and easily head into the District or Alexandria. If I lived out in Fairfax, it'd be really tiring to do anything in DC, and I've got a lot of friends there. Oddly, I don't really have any friends in Arlington, but it's the perfect location for me because it is in between my job, my multiple groups of friends, and my parents.

I'd stay put in Arlington, if you can afford to do so. I know you used to live in Oakton - do you miss the long treks into DC?
Well that's the thing. I"m finding it frustrating to look at apartments in my price range in Arlington versus Fairfax. I have particular taste. The type of apartment I like would go for $1200 in Fairfax but $1700 in Arlington. I have champagne taste and a beer budget. My current place is cheap and I could use the extra money to agressively be out debt in time for my 30th. But I need more space my 10x10 room is too small.

I do not miss the long treks into the city. I love the fact that I can be crossing the Potamac in as little as 5 minutes. My record for getting a particular friend's house on the Hill is 14 minutes that includes parking (found a sweet spot in front of his house). My commute is 30 minutes and is not that bad at all. Most of the places that are in my price range and that aren't run down are in my current area of South Arlington or even further away in Alexandria.

I've got to get out of debt first maybe a good compromise would be a master suite with roommates or a basement situation where I share the kitchen but have my own entrance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire2900 View Post
Now in my mid 40's and in the same position you are in my 20's, I do sort of regret not taking advantage of buying. I had saved a good down payment but couldn't afford Arlington and decided to wait until I was ready to settle down in the burbs. Part of me laughs at my 20 something self as I had more time (I have children now and nothing else gives you perspective about time than this) to socialize and commute.

All about perspective. Would you look back and feel you might have missed the boat regarding building some equity and being able to trade up when you're ready to buy that house? get married? have children? Staying in this area?

Are the tradeoff's too big to contemplate at this point in your life? Any middle ground to achieve a balance between the two?
If I had children a suburban upbringing outside the beltway would definitely be attractive. I don't really consider south Arlington true suburbia. Some of the tradeoffs are extremely big to comtemplate. I also could stay with the roommates and use the new extra money to pay off everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
As someone in my 20's, I encourage everyone in my age group who can to see what they can buy now since the prices are pretty decent. The Fairfax/Fair Oaks area would be a great investment. It may take a little longer to get into the District, but most people will still visit you even if you live farther out. It's really not that far in the grand scheme of things--from Fair Oaks to Arlington it's like 14 miles and to D.C. about 20 miles. So it's really not that bad. We live in Fairfax now and all of our friends still visit, and we still go to Arlington/DC whenever we want.

Also, since a lot of people our age live in Fairfax/Herndon/Reston/Tysons etc., you might make new friends.

Think of it as a short term sacrifice to reap a long term reward.
Oh I can't begin to think about buying right now. No matter what I do I have to get the credit cards off my back first. Then rent then buy once I get rid of the student loans as well. But yes I have considered buying as well. Some folks I know in the city don't have a car so I'd still have to go into the city sometimes not to mention I like the city. Coming from a smaller area I still get excited everytime I cross the Potomac.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
I was under the impression that he wasn't talking about going to DC or Arlington during rush hour, but maybe to go out with friends at night?? I take 66 into the city all the time from Fairfax to DC/Arlington to meet up with friends and usually don't have any problems getting there at night.
Right I'm talking about going into the city at night. After commuting 45 minutes to an hour from south Arlington (yeah moved within walking distance of work only to lose that job 2 months later) to Oakton, I'd be so tired and hated the idea of turning right around to go out and almost never went out during the week and Fridays still required a nap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I did a reverse commute from West End Alexandria (right next to 395) to just North of Ft. Belvoir for a year. I took 395/95 S to 7100 to North Rt. 1. Not that much traffic usually at work or at home in 20-25 minutes. That commute will not be that great anymore with BRAC's stupid decision to move those jobs to Belvoir.

My buddy is a 20-something in Manassas and it's not a great place for singles. You are better off in Arlington.
I was thinking about moving to your old area near Landmark. There is a one bedroom for $1150 in a building that I've been in before so I know it'll be a nice condo. I also like the idea of renting in a building with owners versus a building that is all renters. When I lived in Oakton I was a renter amongst owners and there was definitely a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
I've been doing a reverse commute (Arlington to Oakton/Fairfax) for two years now. It's frustrating to think that I could live more cheaply and have a shorter commute, but I wouldn't really consider moving closer to my office, even though I have friends who live in the area.

I'd stay put in Arlington, if you can afford to do so. I know you used to live in Oakton - do you miss the long treks into DC?
Yeah I've always thought you were a lucky dog to have a job in Oakton because walking to work is something I've always wanted to be able to do or at the very least drive home for lunch. I did that for two months and its really great to be able to relax at the house for lunch or even take a little nap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesco White View Post
I've done the following reverse commutes over the last 3 years:
Tysons/Mclean to Herndon
Tysons/Mclean to Springfield
Old Town to Springfield

Each has been fine until you get off the highway, then it's pretty similar to normal traffic. Fortunately in most of my situations, my place of work or domicile has been fairly close to major roads. The worst I've had it is coming back on 495 from Springfield to Tysons. No matter if I'm coming at 2 PM or 5PM, the traffic always bunches up between 50 & 66, and then again as you arrive near 267. The later in the day, the worse the traffic is around the 495/123 interchange, as most of the Marylanders are getting off and beginning their long commute to wherever the hell they live across the bridge.
Yeah that's what concerns about moving to the place I like in Alexandria. I used to take 50 to 495 to 395 from Oakton to Shirlington. I always pitied the folks going north on 495. I don't want to be part of that crowd going from Alexandria to Fair Oaks in the morning. I was thinking about trying the Fairfax county parkway from 95 but I'm told that will still give me a 45 commute and I'm not so sure about that. Right now my sanity limit is 30 which is what I have now. So the length isn't that bad but now I'm starting to think differently now that I'm looking at upgrading my living situation whether a bigger place with roommates or ultimately my own place.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:51 PM

83 posts, read 182,106 times
I currently do a reverse commute and don't really find it bad at all. We live in Falls Church near Tyson's and I drive to Haymarket everyday. Distance wise its about 26 miles, and it usually takes me about 30-35 minutes to get there in the morning, sometimes little bit longer coming back in the afternoon. Traffic on 66 backs up sometimes at night around exit 60-62 and again near the exits for the beltway. Usually its not too bad though.

I'm lucky though that I don't have to drive too far to get on 66, its less than a mile from my apartment, and my job is less than a mile off the exit that I use. So I don't really spend much time sitting at lights.

That being said though, we are looking to move, my husband currently works in Sterling, so we're looking in South Riding so the drive will be a little better for both of us. Even though I don't usually have to battle with much traffic, driving on 66 every day can get pretty old. With all the cars and aggressive drivers and whatnot, it can be tiring even if you're not in gridlock.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:56 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,816,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I was thinking about moving to your old area near Landmark. There is a one bedroom for $1150 in a building that I've been in before so I know it'll be a nice condo. I also like the idea of renting in a building with owners versus a building that is all renters. When I lived in Oakton I was a renter amongst owners and there was definitely a difference.

Yeah that's what concerns about moving to the place I like in Alexandria. I used to take 50 to 495 to 395 from Oakton to Shirlington. I always pitied the folks going north on 495. I don't want to be part of that crowd going from Alexandria to Fair Oaks in the morning. I was thinking about trying the Fairfax county parkway from 95 but I'm told that will still give me a 45 commute and I'm not so sure about that. Right now my sanity limit is 30 which is what I have now. So the length isn't that bad but now I'm starting to think differently now that I'm looking at upgrading my living situation whether a bigger place with roommates or ultimately my own place.
Just wondering, what building would you be considering? I know about the ones on Stevenson Ave. Oh yeah, 495 N will be trouble in the morning.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigkan View Post
I currently do a reverse commute and don't really find it bad at all. We live in Falls Church near Tyson's and I drive to Haymarket everyday. Distance wise its about 26 miles, and it usually takes me about 30-35 minutes to get there in the morning, sometimes little bit longer coming back in the afternoon. Traffic on 66 backs up sometimes at night around exit 60-62 and again near the exits for the beltway. Usually its not too bad though.

I'm lucky though that I don't have to drive too far to get on 66, its less than a mile from my apartment, and my job is less than a mile off the exit that I use. So I don't really spend much time sitting at lights.

That being said though, we are looking to move, my husband currently works in Sterling, so we're looking in South Riding so the drive will be a little better for both of us. Even though I don't usually have to battle with much traffic, driving on 66 every day can get pretty old. With all the cars and aggressive drivers and whatnot, it can be tiring even if you're not in gridlock.
Just started yesterday and so far so good. I hit traffic here and there because well let's face it; 66 is a horrible and overcrowded freeway. But at the same it has served as my artery between inside the beltway (ITB) and outside the beltway (OTB). I think I'm going to continue being an ITBer but the apartments around Fair Oaks look so nice compared to places for the same price closer in. Although Alexandria is a tad more affordable than Arlington so that's an option. I'm looking at my options and they are so nice to have.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Just wondering, what building would you be considering? I know about the ones on Stevenson Ave. Oh yeah, 495 N will be trouble in the morning.
Place One. Holmes and van Dorn. They have 2 condos for rent both for $1150 including utlities not sure if it includes parking though. I think the guy I know who lives there pays a pretty penny to park in their garage. But I haven't decided what I want to do yet.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:08 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,816,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Place One. Holmes and van Dorn. They have 2 condos for rent both for $1150 including utlities not sure if it includes parking though. I think the guy I know who lives there pays a pretty penny to park in their garage. But I haven't decided what I want to do yet.
I would make sure you get one space in the garage (should be free) before I'd commit to there. The problem with the Landmark area is parking for those who live in the big high-rises. The front lots are usually filled before 6pm. The off street parking will be gone before 9pm and the trouble with those spots is you have to wake up before 7-8am to move your car or you'll get a ticket which Alexandria is strict on.

One plus about that complex is that you are a close walk to Chick-Fil-A at Landmark Mall.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:48 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,628,915 times
For the most part I've been doing a reverse commute from north Arlington out to Tysons Corner and the Dulles Corridor since I moved here in 2005. The traffic has gotten worse in those 5 years but is still a million times better than non-reverse commutes.

I think this is simply a product of the massive jobs explosion in Fairfax County over the last 10-20 years. It seems like nearly all of my friends in Arlington along with the majority of new people I meet work today work outside the Beltway.

As far as whether you should stay where you are or move further out closer to your job...I think it is just a matter of personal preference. I always knew that I could save a lot of money by renting in Centreville, Woodbridge, Ashburn, etc. but nearly all of my friends live(d) in Arlington or DC and as such that is where I ended up buying. At the end of the day I would rather be closer to nightlife options than my office.

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 08-17-2010 at 06:59 PM..

Old 08-18-2010, 09:28 AM

309 posts, read 829,606 times
I always thought that Hawthorne Village in Fairfax (Blake Lane off Lee Highway) was one of the best kept secrets in Fairfax. Very close to the Vienna metro and just a hop to get onto 66. Granted the apts are very 70's, but a lot of the owners have updated the units. Huge pool and you can walk to Skidoos, Arties and the billards bar. They are spacious and very well sound proofed between apts. Utilities averaged $25/month since you only pay (as a renter) for plug in electricity. I lived there for 5 yrs and loved the location and price.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:00 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,270,667 times
I do my RC from Manassas to Front Royal. Piece of cake. It's an hour but it's an hour based on the miles. Not the traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia