Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 01:48 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,521,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam205348 View Post
Well I have read that the cities around quantico are not the best places to live. Any recommendations on exactly what is close but still nice. I have actually expanded my search for a rental house and possibly houses to buy south of Quantico in Stafford and out to Warrenton just somewhere in that general area. What do you think about that area.

At first I was more wanting something high end and fancy but really I would rather spend the money on something with a private garage as I am a car guy and want to keep my cars out of the weather and secure. And plus a place to work on them would be nice.

I am thinking rent a house for a yr or so to save up some money for a down payment and see how I like the area and the job to determine if I will be moving again or sticking with it. I have been in Dallas all my life so moving for me is not commen and especially moving across the country.
If you want a house for $1,500-2,500 a month, you'll almost have to go out in Prince William, Stafford, or Fauquier.

And yeah, eastern Prince William isn't the best part of the DC area. I'd prefer Stafford or Fauquier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 01:58 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,688,846 times
You might give this place a look in Lorton: www.metlorton.com

Old 08-30-2010, 02:46 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,291,273 times
Quote:
Well I have read that the cities around quantico are not the best places to live. Any recommendations on exactly what is close but still nice. I have actually expanded my search for a rental house and possibly houses to buy south of Quantico in Stafford and out to Warrenton just somewhere in that general area. What do you think about that area.

At first I was more wanting something high end and fancy but really I would rather spend the money on something with a private garage as I am a car guy and want to keep my cars out of the weather and secure. And plus a place to work on them would be nice.

I am thinking rent a house for a yr or so to save up some money for a down payment and see how I like the area and the job to determine if I will be moving again or sticking with it. I have been in Dallas all my life so moving for me is not commen and especially moving across the country.

You will get more house or in your case garage for your money if you look to Stafford or Fredericksburg. Then you only have to deal with a short amount of 95 traffic. For some reason it has been insane this summer, hoping as school starts it calms down. When we were looking at housing in the Stafford area it was pretty affordable especially since we to wanted a garage.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:04 PM

9 posts, read 29,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
You might give this place a look in Lorton: www.metlorton.com
That does look pretty nice. I will have to look into that place as it is pretty close as well. I am guessing that area is somewhat nice and safe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
You will get more house or in your case garage for your money if you look to Stafford or Fredericksburg. Then you only have to deal with a short amount of 95 traffic. For some reason it has been insane this summer, hoping as school starts it calms down. When we were looking at housing in the Stafford area it was pretty affordable especially since we to wanted a garage.
Yeah, that is what I have been noticing on all the website I have been looking at houses Stafford and some of the areas west of stafford around Quantico look pretty nice and affordable.

Is all of that area a good area or are there some parts of it to stay away from?

Old 08-30-2010, 03:20 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,104,370 times
If I were you I'd look for housing near where you work. It would be more affordable and an easier commute. Although you haven't been here, you've heard that the DC-NOVA area is ranked one of the worst in the entire country, right? (one of top 3 I think). Constantly being stuck in traffic will drive you, a newcomer, crazy. It will get tired real fast.

If you want to socialize in DC, Arlington, Alexandria, etc. then it's an easy-enough drive. Also, you'll make friends in your local area and have co-workers who most likely live nearby that will probably host BBQs and other social events. Also, there's alot of events in the NOVA region such as wine festivals and concerts so no need to be near DC for those.

Also, it's difficult to judge an entire town or city as "bad". Best bet is to let us know what specific neighborhoods or areas you're interested in and maybe someone on the forum is familiar with that area. Good luck with the new job and welcome to VA!

Old 08-30-2010, 05:52 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,688,846 times
Yes, Lorton is nice and safe. I think that's a good area for you because it isn't in the sticks, the apartment location is RIGHT off I-95 so there's no long drive to hit the interstate, you are 15 minutes north of Quantico so still the beauty of a reverse commute AND it puts you within reasonable distance of DC and Arlington for night life. I think once you hit Woodbridge and points farther south, you will find getting up to DC for the weekend to even more of a hassle. I think something in between would be best for you--you are still very young and while you say you're a homebody, I'm not sure you're quite ready for the full-up suburban life. Lorton is pretty quiet but being more developed but the Lorton Station area, where those apartments are, are geared toward younger professionals.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:06 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,269,024 times
Quote:

If it were me I would not go south from Quantico. The commute can be a PITA. If a large garage is your thing then looking in neighborhoods throughout the area north or maybe west are options. If you contact a real estate agent you can have them look in the many subdivisions along 234 Dumfries Rd in Prince William County. This will give you an easy commute to Quantico. Warrenton is a nice area but quite a commute but certainly a doable one.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
That does look pretty nice. I will have to look into that place as it is pretty close as well. I am guessing that area is somewhat nice and safe?

Yeah, that is what I have been noticing on all the website I have been looking at houses Stafford and some of the areas west of stafford around Quantico look pretty nice and affordable.

Is all of that area a good area or are there some parts of it to stay away from?

We looked at houses in both Stafford and Fredericksburg, there were some on both sides of 95 that I wouldn't want to live at, our deciding factor was the schools but that won't really matter to you. Alot of people who live in the NOVA area do not consider Stafford NOVA and actually consider it the sticks. We like it but then again we are not young and prefer the suburban life, we also preferred to have alittle distance between us and our neighbors and didn't want to be slaves to a rent payment, so for us Stafford worked. We have a huge house for a reasonable rent with a garage for my husband. Renting for the first year is a good idea, that way if you don't like where you live you can always try somewhere else. Best of luck to you wherever you decide to live.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
If it were me I would not go south from Quantico. The commute can be a PITA. If a large garage is your thing then looking in neighborhoods throughout the area north or maybe west are options. If you contact a real estate agent you can have them look in the many subdivisions along 234 Dumfries Rd in Prince William County. This will give you an easy commute to Quantico. Warrenton is a nice area but quite a commute but certainly a doable one.
Any commute around this area can be a PITA. I guess since the OP isn't worried about schools PWC would be okay.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:21 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,269,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Any commute around this area can be a PITA. I guess since the OP isn't worried about schools PWC would be okay.
I believe I know the area a little better as you are a newcomer. I've been here since 73 and a PWC police officer for over 25 years before recently retiring. Anywhere along 234 will NOT be a major issue. You have some traffic heading up 234 going to 95 NB leaving the right lanes wide open for 95 SB towards Quantico. This area is a very safe area all the way from just west of 95 all the way to Manassas and it's 4 lanes all the way. This is an easy commute compared to almost anywhere short of living in the Dumfries/Triangle area near Quantico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia