Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 09:42 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,471,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyusha25 View Post
If it makes you feel any better, I went into Ralph Lauren at Tyson's Galleria when I was there last month; I started talking to the sales lady (about moving here), who was nice enough, but she kept reiterating how conservative that place (NoVA) is. Over and over and over again. I'm only guessing it's because my arms are sleeved in tattoos.

Still, I thought, "ok, yeah I get it, people (and you probably) are going to judge me because everyone is so "conservative" here." But Jesus! She couldn't have made it any more obvious.

Good thing I couldn't care less what strangers think of me.

So, a tip from me: If you let complete strangers ruin your day for being rude to you, life will not be a good time.
That's hilarious, and proves that she's not well schooled in company history because Tyson Beckford was the face of Ralph Lauren for several years, and he has quite a tattoo collection.

RTC is not the only place where one can encounter rude salespersons in this area; however, it's a more concentrated retail/service environment so perceptions can be heightened as to a prevailing attitude because of sub-par service that one receives. I don't particularly like the variety or scope of the shops/restaurants, so I don't travel to Reston for the purpose of patronizing the RTC, but if I am in the area and need something, I will stop.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 10:02 PM

10,259 posts, read 15,997,069 times
Northern Virginia is a lot more like New Jersey and New York than the rest of Virginia. That's all I have to say!!!!

Old 09-02-2010, 04:57 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,284,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Northern Virginia is a lot more like New Jersey and New York than the rest of Virginia. That's all I have to say!!!!
I would disagree big time with this assessment. I've been here since 73 and am ready to bail but not because it's like NJ and NY.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:09 AM

219 posts, read 473,171 times
I totally take for granted that the women staffing women's retail shops will be either rude or usually just ignore me. In my experience patronizing women's retail stores, they practically always ignore you and do the minimum. Though I really appreciate it if I ask a question and the employee takes it seriously and treats me nicely, or has a friendly smile while ringing me up. But seriously, it would be so hard to recall all the sullen, disengaged, long-suffering retail workers I've encountered over the years. Except I do remember shopping at Benetton when I was a teen, because those girls, posing around the register, would roll their eyes if you asked them to unlock a dressing room (soooo haaard), and because I always felt hyper-self-conscious if I unfolded something to look at it.

I think it is safe to say that, with attitude and fleeting interactions, it isn't about you. That person is bringing that attitude to their whole day, unless something exciting occurs, such as a really attractive person arriving.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:50 AM

15,402 posts, read 29,002,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
Not all of us! I like Reston
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
I probably would too if I could ever afford a home here to eventually establish my roots and become more neighborhood-oriented.
So there you have it, this is really all about jealousy.

If you had a higher paying job and thus could afford to eat out at RTC, then you would be singing a completely different tune. You'd be saying the people who go there are "regular people who live around here, out having a fun time." But since you feel you can't afford it, you choose to say whatever comes to mind--who cares if it's actually true or not, just as long as it will let you sneer at people. Their "crime" is making more money than you do and having the nerve to have a fun time hanging out at a town center. Wow, tarring and feathering is too good for 'em, let's hang 'em.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:58 AM

1,266 posts, read 5,621,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
So there you have it, this is really all about jealousy.

If you had a higher paying job and thus could afford to eat out at RTC, then you would be singing a completely different tune. You'd be saying the people who go there are "regular people who live around here, out having a fun time." But since you feel you can't afford it, you choose to say whatever comes to mind--who cares if it's actually true or not, just as long as it will let you sneer at people. Their "crime" is making more money than you do and having the nerve to have a fun time hanging out at a town center.
Would give rep points if I could... Tired of heaing poor me and everyone else is a poseur because they have more money.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:01 AM

15,402 posts, read 29,002,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
You can find plenty of rude salespeople and waiters in Richmond, too. And in every other southern town, and in every town in the world. Especially if you're a difficult customer.

Just my opinion, but I suspect people who routinely complain about bad service have an attitude problem that makes people want to treat them badly. Everyone encounters bad service from time to time, but if you encounter it all the time the real problem may be you're a PITA.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:04 AM

10,125 posts, read 14,022,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
You can find plenty of rude salespeople and waiters in Richmond, too. And in every other southern town, and in every town in the world. Especially if you're a difficult customer.

Just my opinion, but I suspect people who routinely complain about bad service have an attitude problem that makes people want to treat them badly. Everyone encounters bad service from time to time, but if you encounter it all the time the real problem may be you're a PITA.
This is generally true, but couldn't we chalk this up to people's standards as well. One of the reasons people may or may not have bad experience is about what they are willing to accept or not accept. If you go into a store and you expect someone to speak to you when you walk in, that might be a turn off to you, but that might not be a big deal to someone else. Everyone has their level of tolerance so to say people are complaining because of an attitude problem is not always the case.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:16 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,704,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
This is generally true, but couldn't we chalk this up to people's standards as well. One of the reasons people may or may not have bad experience is about what they are willing to accept or not accept. If you go into a store and you expect someone to speak to you when you walk in, that might be a turn off to you, but that might not be a big deal to someone else. Everyone has their level of tolerance so to say people are complaining because of an attitude problem is not always the case.
So true.

When I shop, I usually don't require any help. When I walk into a store, I actually sort of hate the forced hellos that some store require of each.and.every.salesperson to give me. It's annoying. I just want to look at the merchandise and be left alone. Yeah, I'm an introvert. Like good waiters, the store clerks should be quietly observing me and if I appear to be distressed or in need of assistance, they should be polite and available provided the store is not busy. That's all I want.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:39 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,297,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post

Very true, I prefer to ask for help if I need it but for the most part I am content to shop on my own. However, if I ask for help and the salesperson cops an attitude then I would probably be irritated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia