Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 07:23 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,519,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
VA Square is more in the middle of things and it's an easy walk to Ballston or Clarendon. Of course, if you're commuting to DC, Rosslyn has the advantage of being 3 stops closer to DC, and on two Metro lines instead of just one. It's a judgment call- whether you want the easier commute to work or to live near a more happening place. I'd probably go with Rosslyn because of the commute aspect, but both are good choices.
The Orange and Blue Lines run together for most of DC anyway, so it's just the two stop thing -- might mean more of a chance of getting a seat if she is VA Square anyway.

If OP is here for a two-month internship, I'd pick VA Square over Rosslyn, which has a "sidewalks roll up at 6pm" issue -- that might be OK if you're in your 30s and not a big partier, but for someone interning in DC that might be a downer.

Safety's not an issue at all in VA Square, and as I mentioned there is a Giant near there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 08:49 AM

15 posts, read 34,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post

If OP is here for a two-month internship, I'd pick VA Square over Rosslyn, which has a "sidewalks roll up at 6pm" issue -- that might be OK if you're in your 30s and not a big partier, but for someone interning in DC that might be a downer.

Safety's not an issue at all in VA Square, and as I mentioned there is a Giant near there.
So is VA Square busier at night? I'm coming in without any first hand knowledge of these areas so I'm a little nervous anyways. I'm not much for partying, I'll have assignments due so most likley I'll stick to the apartment and if I'm out at night I'd get a taxi home - I'm not very adventurous when it comes to walking at night and would prefer not to be walking home, alone, in the dark on a dead street.

I have also found a room at 1211 South Eads St I've looked at it on google maps and the walk to the metro looks pretty dreary, for lack of a better term. Anyone familiar with this address and the walk to the metro? How are the buses around there?

Old 09-03-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissc View Post
So is VA Square busier at night? I'm coming in without any first hand knowledge of these areas so I'm a little nervous anyways. I'm not much for partying, I'll have assignments due so most likley I'll stick to the apartment and if I'm out at night I'd get a taxi home - I'm not very adventurous when it comes to walking at night and would prefer not to be walking home, alone, in the dark on a dead street.

I have also found a room at 1211 South Eads St I've looked at it on google maps and the walk to the metro looks pretty dreary, for lack of a better term. Anyone familiar with this address and the walk to the metro? How are the buses around there?
South Eads St is near Crystal City, probably a further walk than the other places along less busy streets. But, you're pretty close to Costco with all its delicious pizza.

VA Square is somewhat busier than Rosslyn @ night, but not as busy as say Clarendon and Courthouse.

All else being equal, from the places you've mentioned, the one at 13th and Nelson North sounds like the best location (w/o factoring in rent, condition of your actual apartment, etc.)

Good luck!

Old 09-03-2010, 09:28 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,953,888 times
Like stpickrell said, the Eads address is in Crystal City. Personally, it's one of my favorite places in the area. I think it's a great mix of urban/suburban, you can walk to a great mall and tons of awesome restaurants, and the metro is right there.

It gets really quiet on the weekends because there are so many hotels in the area that cater to business travelers. I lived there my first year out of college and used to walk to everything (except the grocery store--still needed a car for that!) If you're looking for more of a social location, the VA square locale is probably your best bet. There are far more summer interns living in that area than in Crystal City.

For cars, I'd look into a zip car membership: Zipcar Washington DC - Zipcar is easier than Washington DC car rental and car ownership They have cars all over the arlington/crystal city area. It's $75 to join, but then you can rent a car for $7/hour to take care of running errands when you need to. You just have to be 21 y/o. Zipcar They cover gas and insurance, you just have to have a valid drivers license.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:29 AM

Thanks, input has been much appreciated.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:44 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,614,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
South Eads St is near Crystal City, probably a further walk than the other places along less busy streets. But, you're pretty close to Costco with all its delicious pizza.
Well, a single person with a two-month stay is probably not going to shell out an annual membership fee and fight thru the Costco crowds just for a slice of pizza. As good and/or cheap as a slice is, probably not a selling point for this person.

I think the Virginia Square address will probably be a better fit for a fairly short-term gig here in the NoVa area. Easy transportation, easy to get to shopping, a decent farmer's market only a few blocks away on the weekends, a lot of restaurants, and a large, casual population about the same age that's also out & about.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:51 PM

Thought I'd check back, thanks for the input. I ended up at the South Eads St apartment and loved it. Can't wait to get back to DC sometime in the future

Old 01-27-2011, 08:54 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,461,058 times
Hi, welcome to DC; I have friends in Melbourne; it is a fabulous city. I live near your new apt. and think you will really like the area. Hope you make friends very soon.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissc View Post
Thought I'd check back, thanks for the input. I ended up at the South Eads St apartment and loved it. Can't wait to get back to DC sometime in the future
Glad you enjoyed yourself and that you followed up.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
Hi, welcome to DC; I have friends in Melbourne; it is a fabulous city. I live near your new apt. and think you will really like the area. Hope you make friends very soon.
It is indeed

I did love the area, close to pretty much everything and walked everyday to the grocery store and train. DC was a lot of fun, but I was glad to find a store that sold some Australian foodstuffs .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia