Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2010, 05:45 AM

5,662 posts, read 5,092,977 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have recommendations on good companies to deal with when putting in a sprinkler system? This summer's heat wave wore me out chasing around with the hose every day and I think it's time. I'm in PWC and the two estimates I have so far are for $4800 (which is just silly) and $3600. I was thinking more like $2500 for a 1/4 acre lot. Self-install is not an option due to the heavy clay in this area.

Any stories on who's good or who to avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 07:54 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,610,335 times
My boss used Creative Irrigation based in Ashburn and he's been happy with the results. It was installed this past spring, however, so I can't report on how well it holds up medium or long-term. I think he paid closer to your high estimate, though, and this company was the least expensive of the ones that quoted him prices. His house is on a pronounced slope and about 1/4 acre. I'm also not sure what sort of bells & whistles he got on the system.

All that said, from what I gathered from the paperwork that I did see, $2500 wouldn't provide any real profit for the contractor after labor, equipment & vehicles, all the insurances, etc., were covered.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:19 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,332,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post

Any stories on who's good or who to avoid?

Workin Hard, Go to those tool rental places, like Sunbelt Rentals, and you can buy a follow behind trench machine that can dig the trench for you. Yes the clay and rocks are a bear, but it's going to save you a lot of money in the long run.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:39 AM

178 posts, read 574,793 times
We used Affordable Lawn Service and were thrilled with them. They're on Angie's List, gave us a fair quote (not the cheapest, mind you, but a solid one with good equipment being used) and were a pleasure to deal with before, on install day, and after. There is always someone in the office answering the phones (which is more than what I can say about most everyone else we called, who we usually had to end up playing phone tag with). Never gave us a run-around and have stood by their work. I would definitely be careful when hiring someone in this field as there are a lot of fly-by-night companies -- and nothing is more expensive than a cheaply installed system that develops a leak (can you say $1000+ water bill?!)

Old 09-19-2010, 10:24 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,459,084 times
I have been pleased so far with Complete Lawn Service's system. Their estimate was very similar to that of Affordable Lawn Sprinkler's estimate. Both companies are highly rated by consumers on Checkbook.org. I agree with mominbristow; you don't want to cheap out on this - ask for the number and type of sprinkler heads and drip lines they plan to install, which brand they use, etc., and be sure to do the research. The install. costs depend not just on these things and the size of your lot but on the complexity of the coverage needed. I agree with weezycom - after watching what the employees did for multiple days (in 95 degree heat) and the fact that the company stands behind the work with warranties and service - I think the price I paid (around $3700 for a smaller but oddly shaped property with flower beds) was very reasonable. I'm extremely happy with the results and wish I had done it years ago. The receptionist told me that a lot of people say that.

Also, if you don't already have a suitable electrical outlet for the control panel, in the garage, you have to pay an electrician to install one. This adds another $250 or so.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:12 PM

66 posts, read 345,170 times
I've been thinking about putting in a sprinkler system, but I was thinking of having a well dug. Is that allowed out here? Has anyone ever had a well dug for a sprinker system? What did the well cost to dig?

Thanks,

Dan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia