Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 10:06 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times

Advertisements

So, maybe those in NOVA could give their guesses on what the future holds for Springfield, VA.

Actually I like the demographics...as I'm a big fan of various restaurants and ethnic diversity - especially of the various Asian ethnicies. I was looking at zip codes 22150 & 22151.

Here is what I found on foreign-born (2008):

22150: 38.3% Foreign-Born: Of that, 18% Vietnamese, 10% Hondurans, 10% El Salvadoreans, 8% Filipinos, 5% Indian, 5% Afghani, 5% Korean.

22151: 23.4% Foreign-Born: Of that, 26% Vietnamese, 11% Korean, 8% Filipino, 7% Peruvian, 5% El Salvadorean, 4% Cambodian, 3% Honduran.

That being said...interesting restaraunts or storefront result at all from this? THe region APPEARS very residential. Is that the case?

As to the future, does it seem like more Asian or more Latino are moving in? Both? Much business coming in from it...or do they simply live there, and work elsewhere in the area?

---

Regarding the FUTURE of Springfield. Any talk of large development projects. Seems like being WITHIN the Beltway, there is potential changes in store for it...does anyone see or hear of anything like this?

Also, looking at the subway maps....subway station Springfield/Laconia. Accessable to much...or most everyone drives there if they use it?

Also, where do people generally see Springfield NOW and where do they see it in the FUTURE?

---

Lastly...heh heh...any SIMPSONS references anywhere throughout Springfield? In Las Vegas, someone built a 'Simpsons' house...replicating the cartoon/animation...seems like that is something Springfield could seriously capitalize on and make into a side tourist attraction...heh heh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 11:27 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Springfield is a geographically large area, with portions inside the Beltway, and those outside of it. West Springfield and North Springfield are suburban areas, while Springfield, itself, is known for traffic. The interchange of 95/395/495, aka "The Mixing Bowl" is in the area, and there's not too much in the way of a walkable community. It's very car-centric, and dominated by large, multi-lane roadways, with an aging mall at the center, surrounded by newer strip malls.

Franconia/Springfield Metro station is on the outskirts of Springfield. Aside from some scattered small restaurants, there's no sense of an ethnic restaurant enclave, or anything that would draw people to the area. It's an outlet for typical chains: K-Mart/Target/Best Buy/Home Depot/etc. Restaurants vary from TGI Friday's to Chipotle and some Vietnamese/Latino restaurants.

The housing in the area is generally older, some of the properties are somewhat blighted, and there was a problem with large numbers of foreclosures in the area. To the east, toward Franconia, off 644, there are some stable, older neighborhoods, and some newer housing. To the east, off 7100, is Kingstowne/Manchester Lakes; and to the west, is West Springfield.

There's no Simpsons reference anywhere in Springfield...LOL...but there are plans to transform the aging/dying Springfield Mall into a lifestyle center, complete with newer housing options, and a revamped commercial sector. The Mall, itself, has had problems for years, in the face of competition from other malls in the region, and that its design is very dated. Add to that some crime issues, and many shoppers moved their shopping up 395 to Pentagon City, aound the Beltway to Tysons Corner, the Galleria, and Fairfax Square; or toward the west to Fair Oaks Mall. Springfield is not as bad as Landmark, but the number of vacancies in recent years is out of step with the rest of the region's shopping destinations. The movie theaters were older, and could not compete with large screen stadium theaters in nearby Kingstowne. The food court was not planned to integrate into the mall, and the mall itself has a closed-in feeling and dated decor.

Given the prevalence of multi-lane roads in the area, it's highly unlikely that Springfield will transform into a urban center, since there would be few places that would be pedestrian-friendly. It will still continue to be a car-centric area, though with redevelopment of the mall, it could have limited walkability in the immediate vicinity.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-18-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Springfield is a geographically large area, with portions inside the Beltway, and those outside of it. West Springfield and North Springfield are suburban areas, while Springfield, itself, is known for traffic. The interchange of 95/395/495, aka "The Mixing Bowl" is in the area, and there's not too much in the way of a walkable community. It's very car-centric, and dominated by large, multi-lane roadways, with an aging mall at the center, surrounded by newer strip malls.

Franconia/Springfield Metro station is on the outskirts of Springfield. Aside from some scattered small restaurants, there's no sense of an ethnic restaurant enclave, or anything that would draw people to the area. It's an outlet for typical chains: K-Mart/Target/Best Buy/Home Depot/etc. Restaurants vary from TGI Friday's to Chipotle and some Vietnamese/Latino restaurants.

The housing in the area is generally older, some of the properties are somewhat blighted, and there was a problem with large numbers of foreclosures in the area. To the east, toward Franconia, off 644, there are some stable, older neighborhoods, and some newer housing. To the east, off 7100, is Kingstowne/Manchester Lakes; and to the west, is West Springfield.

There's no Simpsons reference anywhere in Springfield...LOL...but there are plans to transform the aging/dying Springfield Mall into a lifestyle center, complete with newer housing options, and a revamped commercial sector. The Mall, itself, has had problems for years, in the face of competition from other malls in the region, and that its design is very dated. Add to that some crime issues, and many shoppers moved their shopping up 395 to Pentagon City, aound the Beltway to Tysons Corner, the Galleria, and Fairfax Square; or toward the west to Fair Oaks Mall. Springfield is not as bad as Landmark, but the number of vacancies in recent years is out of step with the rest of the region's shopping destinations. The movie theaters were older, and could not compete with large screen stadium theaters in nearby Kingstowne. The food court was not planned to integrate into the mall, and the mall itself has a closed-in feeling and dated decor.

Given the prevalence of multi-lane roads in the area, it's highly unlikely that Springfield will transform into a urban center, since there would be few places that would be pedestrian-friendly. It will still continue to be a car-centric area, though with redevelopment of the mall, it could have limited walkability in the immediate vicinity.
Thank you for the thorough response! Doesn't sound so good.

Just to make an add on to a few other promiximal places...and this is quite informative...how about:

ANNANDALE zip code 22003?
Jefferson/Falls Church zip code 22042?
Fairfax 22031?
West Springfield 22152?

Similar fates...or any of them set up a bit differently?

Old 09-19-2010, 05:12 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Thank you for the thorough response! Doesn't sound so good.

Just to make an add on to a few other promiximal places...and this is quite informative...how about:

ANNANDALE zip code 22003?
Jefferson/Falls Church zip code 22042?
Fairfax 22031?
West Springfield 22152?

Similar fates...or any of them set up a bit differently?
None of these areas are likely to become urban centers. They are all older suburban neighborhoods. They have a certain beauty that comes from mature landscaping and older homes that are developing character as time passes. From what I hear they are mostly nice places to live, although not wealthy areas. Some streets are mildly rundown. IMO the future will be kind to these areas. They won't see much development, but they will become (to some degree) increasingly attractive as time passes (IMO). I'm talking years from now, BTW.

It seems like you're spending a lot of time googling one Nova neighborhood after another, hoping you'll somehow find a dense "city" area. I mean this in the nicest way, but seriously--that's the hard way to find a place to live, and you're looking in the wrong state for what you want. Virginia is not a dense urban area, and IMO that isn't in our future, either. The only possible places you will find urban density are in Arlington and Alexandia, and even then it's not that dense. There is no part of Northern Virginia that's ever going to resemble a city like Chicago or NYC.

What you want to do is find a community near your job. Especially since we don't have a "city" area that you're longing for, anyway (so you might as well just pick the suburb that's a convenient commute). Tell us where the job is and (roughly) how much money you want to spend, and then we'll be able to help you find the most urban area nearby. That will save you a lot of frustration. If you're not coming here because of a job offer, I'd recommend looking at other parts of the country. I do NOT recommend moving here without a job. It's very expensive and it may take longer to find a job than you think.

Last edited by Caladium; 09-19-2010 at 05:58 AM..

Old 09-19-2010, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I mean this in the nicest way, but seriously--you're looking in the wrong state for what you want. Virginia is not a dense urban area.
Thanks...but...

This thread is actually about demographics, ethnic enclaves, ethnic restaurants, potential development of any kind in Springfield, subway access, and a funny anecdote about the Simpsons and Springfield.

I am not 'secretly' asking if Springfield will be the next Chicago. Nor am I seeking for someone to tell me where to live.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 09-19-2010 at 06:18 AM..

Old 09-19-2010, 06:21 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
I mean this is the nicest way as possible, as well.

This thread is actually about demographics, ethnic enclaves, ethnic restaurants, potential development of any kind in Springfield, subway access, and a funny anecdote about the Simpsons and Springfield.

I am not 'secretly' asking if Springfield will be the next Chicago. Nor am I seeking for someone to tell me where to live.
So.... why do you want to know these things?

Maybe if we knew why you've been posting all these threads in the last few days we could help you find what you're seeking. In previous threads you claimed to be looking for a place to live, is that no longer your focus? It's confusing since you seem to be inquiring about communities here and there, with no particular geographic connection.

As for Springfield's future, I don't have a crystal ball but I think Springfield is an area that will continue about the same as it is right now. The shopping plazas aren't as nice as others, but that's not a permanent situation. They'll improve, and over time more upscale shops will arrive.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
So.... why do you want to know these things?

Maybe if we knew why you've been posting all these threads in the last few days we could help you find what you're seeking. In previous threads you claimed to be looking for a place to live, is that no longer your focus? It's confusing since you seem to be inquiring about communities here and there, with no particular geographic connection.

As for Springfield's future, I don't have a crystal ball but I think Springfield is an area that will continue about the same as it is right now. The shopping plazas aren't as nice as others, but that's not a permanent situation. They'll improve, and over time more upscale shops will arrive.
It's just my own systematic way of researching. You'll probably continue to see me inquiring about various parts of NOVA...and through it, I'll know if it ultimately appeals or not.

Actually, bmwguydc response was great. Knowing that there aren't any real ethnic enclaves, that it's mostly an area filled with typical chains like K-Mart, Best Buy, Target, etc. Ahmm...pretty much everything he wrote was great.

Actually curious if the other 4 zip codes that I listed afterwards are quite similar or not. Annandale, West Springfield, Faixfax 22031 or Jefferson 22042.

From the little I know of Springfield, it's not really on anyone's lists of places to live....at all. But the real estate/housing is less...and the demographics seemed pretty interesting, that made me curious if that stood out in the region or not...and it sounds like it doesn't outside of a few ethnic restaurants in the strip malls occassionally (which wouldn't really be different than anywhere else).

Just making sense of NOVA...but the other four...basically similar but a little nicer? They all seem to go towards areas that are a bit more desireable - Burke, Falls Church, etc. Also, Annandale seems kind of nicer..or is it pretty much indistinguishable from Springfield?

Old 09-19-2010, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Just making sense of NOVA...but the other four...basically similar but a little nicer? They all seem to go towards areas that are a bit more desireable - Burke, Falls Church, etc. Also, Annandale seems kind of nicer..or pretty much indistinguishable from Springfield?
Desirability is in the eye of the beholder. How can we tell you if they'll be more desirable to you if we don't know what you're looking for? Oh well, I will do what I can. The areas you are asking about now tend to be lower income areas. For many people that is a very desirable feature. Some people enjoy paying low rents, others enjoy living among people who pay lower rents. These areas are all suburban, have ethnic restaurants and K-Marts and parks all the other hallmarks of mid century suburban towns. In my opinion, they have different "looks" but others might think they all look the same.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:50 AM

Quote:
From the little I know of Springfield, it's not really on anyone's lists of places to live....at all.
Not at all. It's not a bad place, and has its own appeal. It definitely makes the list of people seeking lower priced homes, since it has many good points in addition to be relatively inexpensive.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Desirability is in the eye of the beholder. How can we tell you if they'll be more desirable to you if we don't know what you're looking for? Oh well, I will do what I can. The areas you are asking about now tend to be lower income areas. For many people that is a very desirable feature. Some people enjoy paying low rents, others enjoy living among people who pay lower rents. These areas are all suburban, have ethnic restaurants and K-Marts and parks all the other hallmarks of mid century suburban towns. In my opinion, they have different "looks" but others might think they all look the same.
Okay, would love to hear your opinion on how those other 4 zip code areas have different "looks"....that's actually what I'm asking for.

In the same vein as the thread - housing prices, housing styles, setups of the other 4 zip codes, their proximity to other places that might be desireable or undesireable, ethnic demographics, etc. Areas that seem to have more Asian as well. That kind of thing...even areas that appear to be part of large forests with tall trees...whatever you got
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia