Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 06:45 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvasonicbloom View Post
Yo dawg, I live in the second richest county in the united states and I wear ear plugs to sleep. Gangsta!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 06:58 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,513,808 times
If it's lasting after 9-10pm why not call the five-0? They may also know of some project, etc., that is going on.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:24 AM

309 posts, read 828,233 times
In our previous home our bedroom backed up to a very busy street and people w/ motorcycles leaving at 4:30 am did not make me a happy camper. I bought a fan and it was enough white noise to drown out the sound. We have moved and have nothing behind our house and I couldn't sleep b/c it was too quiet. I bought a 2nd fan at Costco and sleep like a baby.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:37 AM

628 posts, read 1,933,048 times
Has Verizon installed fiber optics cable in your neighborhood yet? If not, perhaps it is doing it now some blocks away. The installers use a subterranean ramming device that tunnels cable under driveways and other places where they do not want to disturb the ground. It makes a repetitive sound similar to what you are describing. they hit my neighborhood about 3 or 4 years ago.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:28 PM

323 posts, read 508,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
There is a constant knocking noise sounds like a hammer on a roof or something thats been driving me crazy for the last 2 days here in Centreville. What in the world is it? It is literally driving me insane! Any one know ? Thanks
That sound is the shotgun range at Bull Run park. I hear it every weekend.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:15 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
Quote:
There is a constant knocking noise sounds like a hammer on a roof or something thats been driving me crazy for the last 2 days here in Centreville.
Woodpecker?

Kitchen appliance? There are some refrigerators that make a "tap tap" kind of noise. Not even in a pattern. Just random and at different sound levels.

Maybe a neighbor is doing construction or building something in a garage or somewhere nearby where you cannot see him/her?

Guns? I only say that because I grew up on a military base and we lived near the firing range so we heard guns all the time.

I have an alarm clock that has "soothing sounds" (i.e., wind chimes, ocean waves and seagulls, etc.). I've used this at times when there is noise I cannot control. That, and the ear plugs a previous poster mentioned.

I hope you find out what it is! And can get some sleep! Good luck!

Old 09-22-2010, 02:22 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Oh man, you get my sympathy. I hope it ends soon! Meanwhile, here's a song that might give you a laugh:

YouTube - Paul McCartney-Let 'Em In

Old 09-22-2010, 03:12 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,616,343 times
I think I know what the noise is now.. a neighbor said it was construction on Lee Highway pilling drivers.. i think it was also mentioned above.
Thanks guys!

Old 09-22-2010, 03:25 PM

461 posts, read 909,333 times
Quote:
I think I know what the noise is now.. a neighbor said it was construction on Lee Highway pilling drivers.. i think it was also mentioned above.
Thanks guys!
If it's a steady ping about two seconds apart, that's what it is. Buy earplugs, as it can go on for weeks or longer.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:12 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Although I like to think I have a sense of humor myself, the attempts to lighten the mood have devolved into a series of personal attacks. As always, if there is any concern about a post or member, the best way to resolve it is by using any of the options at the bottom of this post.

Teebyrd, glad to hear that you at least know the source of your problem. I hope that the work is done as soon as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia