Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 06:00 PM

38 posts, read 73,905 times

Advertisements

I've been reading alot on this forum lately since I am trying to get a job in the DC area and would like to know alot about NOVA before I move there.

I've lived in South Carolina all my life. Around here, there tends to be a little bit of tension between the two races that predominate the area (caucasians and African Americans - We really don't have much of anyone else here.) Although many of us are not racist, it is generally accepted that some groups of African Americans don't like white people going through their neighborhoods or working in their restaurants, and vice versa.

I was kind of excited to read a post here recently about a refreshingly non-racial experience someone had on Hall's Hill because, frankly, I do not enjoy having to live with the racism that exists where I live now.

So... How does NOVA compare to other places in terms of racism and different races having to stay out each other's neighborhoods, etc.? I'm especially interested in hearing about Arlington and Alexandria.

I'm sorry if this topic is a little awkward. I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping that maybe NOVA is a place where people can more freely interact with each other without fear of racial divisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 06:18 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
NOVA is one of the most diverse areas in the country. I liken it to the United Nations. Not to say that things are harmonious 100% of the time. There are some people who feel uncomfortable going through some of the poorer minority neighborhoods - one example being the Parker-Gray area in Old Town Alexandria - but IMO that may be more negative anticipation on the parts of passers-by more often than outright shunning on the part of the residents.

As another member likes to say, the color that people are most concerned with here is green. Economic class may drive divisions more than racial/ethnic differences.

Last edited by FindingZen; 09-22-2010 at 06:57 PM..

Old 09-22-2010, 06:47 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
As another member likes to say, the color that people are most concerned with here is green. Economic class may drive divisions more than racial/ethnic differences.
There's a lot of truth to this, Tone! It doesn't matter what color you are, it's all about the green.

FWIW, my family is racially mixed. It's not a big deal to us, but since the subject has come up yes, in years past, we've experienced some mild racism. Someone driving by and saying something rude while I was out walking with my kids--that sort of thing. However, that was quite some time ago and there hasn't been much in the past ten years or so. I might even say no incidents at all since the mid 90s or so, maybe even before that.

Having said that, I should also note my neighborhood is upper middle class and the residents seem to feel secure. I'm not sure it's this idyllic in every neighborhood. All I can tell you is my experience, and there may be parts of Nova where my experience isn't the norm. And, you should know that in DC you're likely to encounter a lot more racial tension. Racism seems to thrive when money is tight or where crimes start making people fear each other (fortunately, those issues don't seem to be a big problem in Nova either).

The bottom line: I haven't heard much about racial tension in northern Virginia. To be honest, the bigger prejudice I've noticed is about speaking and acting intelligently. If you act like you're uneducated people may treat you badly--and whatever you do, don't act "gangsta." You don't have to actually have a degree but you do have to speak intelligently.

Last edited by normie; 09-22-2010 at 06:55 PM..

Old 09-22-2010, 06:59 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransomedbyfire View Post
I've been reading alot on this forum lately since I am trying to get a job in the DC area and would like to know alot about NOVA before I move there.

I've lived in South Carolina all my life. Around here, there tends to be a little bit of tension between the two races that predominate the area (caucasians and African Americans - We really don't have much of anyone else here.) Although many of us are not racist, it is generally accepted that some groups of African Americans don't like white people going through their neighborhoods or working in their restaurants, and vice versa.

I was kind of excited to read a post here recently about a refreshingly non-racial experience someone had on Hall's Hill because, frankly, I do not enjoy having to live with the racism that exists where I live now.

So... How does NOVA compare to other places in terms of racism and different races having to stay out each other's neighborhoods, etc.? I'm especially interested in hearing about Arlington and Alexandria.

I'm sorry if this topic is a little awkward. I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping that maybe NOVA is a place where people can more freely interact with each other without fear of racial divisions.
I recently moved from Northern VA after nearly 6 years but I was actually born at Shaw AFB in South Carolina.

Northern VA is not overly racist. But there is very light tension between some groups. As a black guy, I've gotten some interesting stares from Hispanics and African immigrants from selected countries. But I have to say I feel NoVA is kinda segregated. While you likely will have your street evenly racially balanced, the groups of immigrants tend to stay in their own neighborhoods. For example, Koreans tend to flock to Annandale, Vietnamese folks dominate Seven Corners, Middle Eastern/Muslim immigrants like the Skyline City area, African immigrants are concentrated around the Landmark area West of I-395, and so on. But like Tone said (I think he was referring to me) as long as you don't cost them some green, folks won't start any problem with you.

I agree with you on the racist African Americans, in DC a lot of blacks could not wait to vote the current mayor out because he didnt hire folks of the "right color" to help fix the city (he did a remarkable job on improving the city.) Most blacks you will meet in NoVA are just decent folks that don't want to put their kids in schools in DC and parts of MD and realize their kids will have to learn to get along with everyone of every color to make it in the world.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:16 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,878,778 times
Not much of an issue here, IMO - WAY too many people from all over the country (and the world), lotsa colors, a wide range of accents (and English proficiency ).. nobody particularly stands out as "not belonging."

Old 09-22-2010, 08:37 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,597,909 times
I have to agree with the statement that the big color division here depends on who's got the green. There is a lot more regular social mixing among the ethnicities and cultures as you go down thru the younger generations. Lower income and less educated folks tend to self-segregate into their "home" cultural/ethnic groups.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:42 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
The ethnic mix at least on the Eastern side of FFX County has changed quite a bit in the past 20 years. We have a lot more Hispanic and African/Caribbean immigrants and fewer multi-generational black Americans. We normally get along just fine.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:36 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
But like Tone said (I think he was referring to me) as long as you don't cost them some green, folks won't start any problem with you.
Yep, that was you.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:11 AM

515 posts, read 1,691,647 times
I have to agree with Alan that the area has a fair amount of residential segregation. My own neighborhood is almost exclusively white. But when I venture out it is almost always into a very diverse environment. I never see any racial tension. I imagine it exists somewhere in the county (for example, among competing gangs), but I have not seen it in more than a decade living here. It may not be perfect but I suspect it is a lot better than what you have now.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:46 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
"For example, Koreans tend to flock to Annandale,"

Yet they are not the majority of the population in Annandale, which is heavily white and hispanic (and a few African Americans) as well as Asian. And there are lots of Koreans living outside Annandale, though the Korean business community is concentrated here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia