Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 11:41 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
The signs were the best part!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 12:00 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
It's also classic Metro action to underserve so that they can then claim they need more money for transit, especially with high profile events. Of course, we could adopt a special-use fare, when there is no sponsor to add cars to Metro, and for extra personnel, but then riders would balk at the price premium. As for the embarassment factor, I take it that some who were embarassed have never tried to get on a 4-5-6 line train in Manhattan during rush hour, when sometimes one has to wait for two trains to be able to get on a train, and be packed in the car. New York isn't embarassed, nor should Washington be, as the forecast transit needs is what is under the operating budget, and special-use extensions, additional cars, etc. are a matter to be discussed during the planning phase with event sponsors. In the absence of such collaboration, Metro does, and should, operate under normal operating conditions.

I didn't go to the rally, though "I get it," because the concept left me sour because of the timing of the moc-u-rally on the weekend before election day on the National Mall. Next weekend, sure, it would have been fun, but I would rather an informed populace be reviewing issues and planning to vote. It's interesting that people will wait in a long line to get on the Metro to/from said event, but how many would wait in the same lenth of line at their local polling place? And, if they can't wait in line to vote, they could always make arrangements to vote absentee in-person or via mail, so the turnout numbers are appalling. I am not directing this to anyone who went, since I know many had a good time, including friends of mine.

Personally, I would have liked a "go vote" message, too, as I don't care about another's political party affiliation, if any, but I do care that people are apathetic, in general, and don't vote -- to the tune of 40-60%+ disinterest in many local polling places. So, in my opinion, while the event was billed as a "fun fest" to mock other rallies, it was cleverly disguised to attempt to raise the profile of two comedians and promote a channel. For me, it actually lowered my opinion of all three because of the timing of the satirical message with respect to election day.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-31-2010, 12:07 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I agree it would have been helpful to have more assistance from Metro employees. We also had SmarTrip cards. I decided there was no way we were waiting in the long line if it was just people waiting to buy tickets, and no one had any issue with our going directly to the turnstiles.
Well you were fortunate then. When I crept up to the front near the turnstiles I was too timid to just advance through because there was such a crowd there that I couldn't tell who was waiting in line for tickets, who was waiting for those in their parties still getting tickets, who was trying to figure out how to use the turnstiles, etc., etc. What Metro SHOULD have done would have been to have had those roped-off "queue lines" that you see on opening nights of hit movies at theaters. There could have been a line specifically for people who already had SmarTrip cards to go through one turnstile, a line specifically for people who already had regular fare cards (which seem to take slightly longer for the turnstiles to process) to go through another turnstile, and then the other turnstiles could have been used exclusively for people coming back over from using the machines to buy fare cards. The queue lines should have been long, and they should have been labeled appropriately with an employee available at the end to answer any questions as well as an employee at the machines to help people process their transactions more quickly.

It was just sheer confusion, and there wasn't a Metro employee anywhere to be found. How was one supposed to know that the huge mob was all just "waiting to buy tickets?" When I went up to investigate they were also blocking the turnstiles (speaking of which Metro ALSO should have had all the turnstiles but one REVERSED since there would have been nearly nobody coming back in the opposing direction that time of day in comparison). As far as Metro's "financial issues" are concerned, I can guarantee they made money hand over fist yesterday and could have more than covered the expense of having an additional staff member on-hand at most stations for two four-hour shifts (one from perhaps 7:30 AM-11:30 AM and another from 2:30 PM - 6:30 PM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Really! It was a very pleasant day, I think it's a bunch of nonsense that we "embarrassed the area to people" because there were crowded train stations. Get real.

Actually, since it was a party atmosphere I talked with quite a few people, including several who had come in from PA, OH, NY, etc. All I heard was comments on how good DC looked, how much fun they were having, how well-maintained things were, etc. But even if that wasn't the case, frankly, who cares? Impressing people from out of town who arrive to attend a rally is low on my list of priorities.
It has always been HIGH on my list of priorities to ensure that those visiting my community have as pleasant of an experience as possible, and I was embarrassed on behalf of the area to have overhead lots of conversations from out-of-towners as they discussed how much better the mass transit systems in their own hometowns could handle anticipated crowds. These people have traveled long distances to spend lots of money to boost our local economy, which, while recession-resistant, has NOT been "recession-proof." People who are happier tend to be more tempted to part with their hard-earned dollars due to those accompanying endorphin-driven feelings of euphoria (ever wonder why so many stores will jump through hoops to stimulate the sense with nice fragrances, pleasant lighting, free samples, cheerful music, etc.?) The more dollars we could have fleeced from them the better. This was our opportunity to SHINE as an area, and while we succeeded in many aspects our transportation options in getting people from Point A to Point B, which have ALWAYS been troublesome, were heightened and detracted from what could have been a much better experience.

I think "it's a bunch of nonsense" while reading a lot of divergent perspectives on this sub-forum in regards to long-term urban planning, but I digress. You "get real."

Old 10-31-2010, 12:12 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,170,151 times
It was all very tongue in cheek, and MOST didn't think it was a "real" political rally. I know I didn't.

And I think a lot of people who watch Stewart and Colbert ARE politically active and WILL go vote. I know I am happy to wait in long lines to vote. If you don't vote, then you really don't have a lot of room to complain if you don't get your way. I wasn't thrilled about 2000 and 2004, but at least I went and made sure my voice was heard.

I have 2 degrees in politics and government, so darn it, I am NOT apathetic and apathy ticks me off.

I do agree, a "Go Vote" message would have been a good way to end the event, but it was basically a 3 hour comedy show free to the public.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:38 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
It was all very tongue in cheek, and MOST didn't think it was a "real" political rally. I know I didn't.

And I think a lot of people who watch Stewart and Colbert ARE politically active and WILL go vote. I know I am happy to wait in long lines to vote. If you don't vote, then you really don't have a lot of room to complain if you don't get your way. I wasn't thrilled about 2000 and 2004, but at least I went and made sure my voice was heard.

I have 2 degrees in politics and government, so darn it, I am NOT apathetic and apathy ticks me off.

I do agree, a "Go Vote" message would have been a good way to end the event, but it was basically a 3 hour comedy show free to the public.
Me neither, though reading some of these posts I now know why the expression "don't rain on my parade" emerged. It was a fun day, not a life-altering event, so I'm not quite sure why the kill-joys have emerged in such force today. Well, maybe I am.

I went primarily as a chaperone, but didn't mind ratcheting up the average age of those in attendance ever so slightly. It's probably as close to a rave as I'll ever get.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:03 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
I didn't get to go, since my doctor says crowds of that size are a no-no. But, my kids and grandkids went and had a marvelous time. My kids are in their 50s so there were at least some older people there. They were lucky enough to get somewhat near the stage, so they could hear pretty well. They liked the eclectic mix of music. As far as I can tell they seemed to think it was a fun event and that everything went smoothly.

I asked them what they thought of the metro, and they said it was crowded, but fine. In fact I think they got a kick out of the party atmosphere on the train--the same way it is on the 4th of July. A crowded metro is all part of the experience of going to an event like this.

Last edited by normie; 10-31-2010 at 01:26 PM..

Old 10-31-2010, 01:30 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,453,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
It's also classic Metro action to underserve so that they can then claim they need more money for transit, especially with high profile events. Of course, we could adopt a special-use fare, when there is no sponsor to add cars to Metro, and for extra personnel, but then riders would balk at the price premium. As for the embarassment factor, I take it that some who were embarassed have never tried to get on a 4-5-6 line train in Manhattan during rush hour, when sometimes one has to wait for two trains to be able to get on a train, and be packed in the car. New York isn't embarassed, nor should Washington be, as the forecast transit needs is what is under the operating budget, and special-use extensions, additional cars, etc. are a matter to be discussed during the planning phase with event sponsors. In the absence of such collaboration, Metro does, and should, operate under normal operating conditions.

I didn't go to the rally, though "I get it," because the concept left me sour because of the timing of the moc-u-rally on the weekend before election day on the National Mall. Next weekend, sure, it would have been fun, but I would rather an informed populace be reviewing issues and planning to vote. It's interesting that people will wait in a long line to get on the Metro to/from said event, but how many would wait in the same lenth of line at their local polling place? And, if they can't wait in line to vote, they could always make arrangements to vote absentee in-person or via mail, so the turnout numbers are appalling. I am not directing this to anyone who went, since I know many had a good time, including friends of mine.

Personally, I would have liked a "go vote" message, too, as I don't care about another's political party affiliation, if any, but I do care that people are apathetic, in general, and don't vote -- to the tune of 40-60%+ disinterest in many local polling places. So, in my opinion, while the event was billed as a "fun fest" to mock other rallies, it was cleverly disguised to attempt to raise the profile of two comedians and promote a channel. For me, it actually lowered my opinion of all three because of the timing of the satirical message with respect to election day.
While I think you certainly have a good point about poor turnout and lack of citizen interest and information, I am not sure I get why this is an either-or situation with this rally. Why are you making so many assumptions about what is related to what, what happened and what was said at a rally you didn't attend, how much personal time that attendees spent previously learning about issues, what the motivations of attendees were, etc.? How do you know whether the absence of such a rally would encourage more people to learn about events and candidates, and to go vote, than its presence does? Are you also concerned about what citizens have been doing with all their prior Saturdays or other free time? Very puzzling post.

IMHO, the point was not to mock another rally, as one can see in the speech made by Stewart and in other sources of info, though (again MHO only) mocking bad behavior, such as lying or unfairly demonizing one's opponents, was certainly fair game. Why is it COMEDIANS' jobs to make people into better citizens? Frankly, I am more concerned about the failures of the NEWS outlets to inform people and encourage them to vote, and people's own choices, which they are responsible for.

Remember also that many of those in attendance have already gotten informed and have voted, as Northern Virginia encourages absentee voting by (among other things) allowing those who work outside their home counties at any time while the polls are open to vote absentee.

Finally, IIRC, a Pew study also showed that people who watch the Stewart show (I'm not sure if Colbert's audience was included in the study, but I would bet the findings would be similar) are better informed on current events than are the viewers of most if not all "news" outlets. If anything, this suggests that at least Stewart's actions probably do more to encourage the outcomes you want than just about anyone.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:34 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
it was basically a 3 hour comedy show free to the public.
And that's one of the things I really love about living here. A 3-hour comedy show, for free! With fantastic music and a party atmosphere. For FREE! Plus, the signs were not only hilarious, it sounds like most of them actually had a good message. ("I pay my taxes because I'm an adult." Love it! ) So it was funny and profound. And free. I love living in a place where we have things like this.

BTW, I don't mind that it was held close to the election, but I do hope they hold it again next year, because something like this doesn't have to be related to an election and would be even funnier if it wasn't (IMO).

Old 10-31-2010, 01:40 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,453,630 times
Quote:
Wow, Denton, are you watching the Fox News coverage of the event? Because that was NOT the reality on the ground.

And I just don't get Fairfaxian's comment - are you upset about signs you saw that didn't match your views? Did you talk to people at all? Were you wearing a "Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck are my Heroes" shirt? Because I honestly saw nothing but people who were there to have a good time. I saw a couple people trying to counter-protest, and no one even engaged them. My group, which included 2 mid-late 30s couples, 2 60-somethings and a 4 year old just sat back and enjoyed the day - pointing out signs and costumes to each other and laughing our butts off.
Totally agree with your questions, and had the same experiences you did. People were laid back and friendly in talking to us on the Metro (which doesn't always happen) and (until we were jammed together by the huge crowd) at the rally, at which point we slowly began trying to exit.

There were plenty of people of color there and they all seemed to be having a great time too. The demographics looked a lot like those of the greater metro area with many people coming from out of town as well, who might be less likely to be of color or international backgrounds, with a wide range of ages.

I find it amusing that some people who weren't there and saw only a little of the TV coverage, or are in certain media outlets, are trying to portray it as a rally for liberals but also a nearly all-white rally. For years, we've seen many of the same pundits wring their hands about how progressives have lost the support of the mainstream white male voter and that they are also losing the wives of these people. If that were entirely true, then the rally couldn't have been "nearly all-white."

Certain people apparently found the rally rather threatening to their points of view.

Last edited by ACWhite; 10-31-2010 at 01:50 PM..

Old 10-31-2010, 02:03 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
While I think you certainly have a good point about poor turnout and lack of citizen interest and information, I am not sure I get why this is an either-or situation with this rally. Why are you making so many assumptions about what is related to what, what happened and what was said at a rally you didn't attend, how much personal time that attendees spent previously learning about issues, what the motivations of attendees were, etc.? How do you know whether the absence of such a rally would encourage more people to learn about events and candidates, and to go vote, than its presence does? Are you also concerned about what citizens have been doing with all their prior Saturdays or other free time? Very puzzling post.

IMHO, the point was not to mock another rally, as one can see in the speech made by Stewart and in other sources of info, though (again MHO only) mocking bad behavior, such as lying or unfairly demonizing one's opponents, was certainly fair game. Why is it COMEDIANS' jobs to make people into better citizens? Frankly, I am more concerned about the failures of the NEWS outlets to inform people and encourage them to vote, and people's own choices, which they are responsible for.

Remember also that many of those in attendance have already gotten informed and have voted, as Northern Virginia encourages absentee voting by (among other things) allowing those who work outside their home counties at any time while the polls are open to vote absentee.

Finally, IIRC, a Pew study also showed that people who watch the Stewart show (I'm not sure if Colbert's audience was included in the study, but I would bet the findings would be similar) are better informed on current events than are the viewers of most if not all "news" outlets. If anything, this suggests that at least Stewart's actions probably do more to encourage the outcomes you want than just about anyone.
My comments are related to those I know who went to the event, and wanted me to go with them. I have known these people for years, and it's an accomplishment if they even bother to vote every four years, much less every election -- despite being informed and voicing their opinions. It is something that struck me as ironic in my own group, which I am sure is not the majority of people who went, but also not as isolated as one collection of people from NYC and DC. Sure, it was fun and everyone laughs, but there was a component missing, IMO, regardless of political belief.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia