Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2010, 01:31 PM

38 posts, read 149,200 times

Advertisements

We are renting a single family home in Alexandria. There are mice in the house, and they are damaging some walls by chewing through. I have told the landlord, and he told me that I need to buy rat poisoning and place it in a few places, to include several places up on the roof.

The lease states that he is responsible for repairs not due to our negligence...which is why I told him of the holes, and the problem. If I didn't tell him and the problem gets worse, then I think I am the negligent party.

But I told him, and he responds that I have to take care of it.

I am trying to find a LAW that states if that it is the L/L responsibility to deal with rodents.

I am not being trivial with the LL for the heck of it. He really skirts the line on a lot of issues, and I am getting tired of it.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 01:35 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,092,699 times
If the lease states this, then so. When we lived in DC, our apartment had a mouse--didn't do much damage, just running around and creeping us out. The landlord installed traps and also plugged up openings in the wall behind the stove with steel wool.

I got a cat after that so no signs of mice!

Not sure who would handle this? Is there a County or City housing dept whom you could ask?

Old 10-08-2010, 01:41 PM

38 posts, read 149,200 times
Not sure who to call, which is why I asked. We are new here, from FL. I know in Florida our house gets a rodent exterminator visit once a year. It isn't in the lease, it is a state law fo LL.

Maybe a leasing agent or realtor would know???

Old 10-08-2010, 01:51 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,092,699 times
Maybe you could start here-- City of Alexandria Office of Housing, Landlord-Tenant Relations Division:
Landlord - Tenant Relations | Housing | City of Alexandria, VA

Old 10-08-2010, 03:02 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,231,338 times
I use a standard Virginia lease, here are a few things from it:

"13: Landlord Maintenance. Except as otherwise noted the Landlord shall maintain the Premises in good repair and tenantable condition and shall be responsible for repairs not due to the fault or negligence of the Tenant." (like you mentioned is in yours)

"19. Tenant Obligations. [snipped] The Tenant is responsible for:
[snipped]
I. The control and elimination of household pests including but not limited to fleas, ticks, roaches, silverfish, ants, crickets, and rodents during occupancy."

So in my case, in Virginia, if my tenant had mice, he would be responsible for ridding the unit of them. But I would be responsible for repairing any damage the mice caused. Considering the mice problem might not be solvable without first sealing the house where they are getting in, I think your landlord is not keeping to the terms of the lease by performing necessary repairs. Your lease should spell out what your rights are if the landlord is not responding to repair requests within a specified time.

I hope you have copies of letters or electronic correspondence you've sent to the landlord informing him of the damage and need for repairs. Also take photographs of the damage. And as suggested, speak to the landlord-tenant department. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia