Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 08:35 AM

7 posts, read 30,800 times

Advertisements

45 minutes from Reston to DC? In my experience, it takes up to an hour to get from the Vienna stop to Smithsonian on the Metro, not including parking, walking, and waiting-for-trains time (and at Vienna, you're lucky to find a parking spot). Unless there's a huge accident, it's faster to drive.

The Silver Line will be most attractive to people who can't afford a car (or working couples who can't afford a second car). I expect high-rise condos and apartment buildings to spring up near the Silver Line Metro stops, and appeal to people who don't drive -- young people, illegal immigrants who aren't allowed to get a driver's license, and perhaps some environmentally correct downtown workers.

The Metro goes both ways. Many people living in the city who can't afford cars will decide to travel out to Western Fairfax County for eating, shopping, and entertainment. When the Springfield Mall got a metro stop, it became a hangout and attractive living area for a less wealthy crowd....I'm not sure how that sort of reverse-gentrification will increase property values.

I also don't think typical metro commuters will be happy in suburban Herndon/Reston/Ashburn. Sure, you can get to a job downtown on the Silver Line, but can you get to a nearby grocery store? How about to your kid's soccer practice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 08:52 AM

7 posts, read 30,800 times
Default Safety in Sugarland vs. Herndon

Thanks for the safety information about Sugarland. Looking at the Local Explorer Crime Map on WashingtonPost.com, it appears that Nothern Herndon is a strip of low crime between two higher-crime areas: Sterling Park to the NW and downtown Herndon to the SE.

Whereas the Sugarland area has no reported crime and just two small incidents reported in the Cascades area....there's hardly any crime at all North of Rt. 7.

Crime, Home Sales and Schools in DC, Maryland and Virginia - Local Explorer (washingtonpost.com)

Old 07-10-2007, 09:58 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,886,424 times
just speaking from someone who's husband would love to jump on Metro and get to work rather than drive. YOu have alot of govt employees who simply cannot afford to live any closer in than Herndon. Ashburn and Leesburg have become the "new Woodbridge" for alot of us govt peoples! The fact that we don't get a govt vehicle here (huge cost saver in other cities) or gas reimbursement etc... (oh yea that govt COLA you hear about for us comes to about 300 a month increase from PA!! not a true cost of living adjustment...all agencies work different) would make a drive into Herdon to hop on hte metro WONDERFUL. Those who ride metro in Fairfax get metro cars provided by the govt. well out here we don't any reimbursement for gas or even toll $$)

So to say that only people wihtout cars take metro is false. not having to deal wiht traffic and the wear and tear on your car + gas expenses. Maybe you don't want to ride metro thats your choice but Ik now TONS of people that live in Herndon/Reston/Ashburn etc... that are "suburbanites..." Can not wait for it to get out here! Heck run it ALL the way out route 7 and see those parking lots fill up!

Old 07-10-2007, 12:28 PM

414 posts, read 2,280,680 times
Let me get this thread back on topic...since it somehow grew into a discussion about the Metro's Silverline. Both Herndon and Sterling are very nice towns to live in--both towns also have thier fair share of sections, that aren't so nice to live in too. However, Sterling/Dulles is probably becoming an up and coming town faster than Herndon is. Living in Sterling will give you closer access to tons of new shopping develops, dining, entertainment etc. But again, if you live in Herndon, you are still close to Reston Town Center, and can easily jump on the Parkway if you need to head into Fairfax/Fairlakes. I personally, probably choose to live in Herndon though. Herndon has many nice newley and existing planned communities that are very nice places to live, and raise family.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:25 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aea136 View Post
45 minutes from Reston to DC? In my experience, it takes up to an hour to get from the Vienna stop to Smithsonian on the Metro, not including parking, walking, and waiting-for-trains time (and at Vienna, you're lucky to find a parking spot). Unless there's a huge accident, it's faster to drive.
Wiehle Avenue to Farragut West in 45 minutes. The schedule from Vienna to Smithsonian is meanwhile 32 minutes. I do 90% of that run 15-20 times per month. Except in cases of mechanical difficulty or when trains are single-tracking due to scheduled maintenance, trains are rarely as much as a minute off schedule.

Quote:
The Silver Line will be most attractive to people who can't afford a car (or working couples who can't afford a second car).
Reston to Farragut and back again comes to 45 miles per day. That's about $180 worth of gas per month plus $250 a month to park. Wear and tear? Aggravation? Tell me who actually can afford to drive.

Quote:
I expect high-rise condos and apartment buildings to spring up near the Silver Line Metro stops, and appeal to people who don't drive -- young people, illegal immigrants who aren't allowed to get a driver's license, and perhaps some environmentally correct downtown workers.
High-density development is programmed around all Metro stations where the neighborhoods are not already mature. The people you refer to will all be outbid for living space simply by the legions who are sick and tired of trying to drive into Tysons everyday.

Quote:
The Metro goes both ways. Many people living in the city who can't afford cars will decide to travel out to Western Fairfax County for eating, shopping, and entertainment. When the Springfield Mall got a metro stop, it became a hangout and attractive living area for a less wealthy crowd....I'm not sure how that sort of reverse-gentrification will increase property values.
Yes, that was the type of thinking that led Tysons and Georgetown to back out of being included in the original Metro plans back in the 1970's. Now both regret it mightily. And why would DC people of any socio-economic status be making a habit of riding the train right past Ballston and Tysons Corner to get to Reston in order to eat, shop, or be entertained? That would sound a little silly to me.

Quote:
I also don't think typical metro commuters will be happy in suburban Herndon/Reston/Ashburn. Sure, you can get to a job downtown on the Silver Line, but can you get to a nearby grocery store? How about to your kid's soccer practice?
The typical Metro commuter living in suburban Herndon/Reston/Ashburn will use his or her car to get to the grocery store or soccer practice. Just as the typical non-Metro commuter living in suburban Herndon/Reston/Ashburn does.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:59 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,392,665 times
Go with Herndon. It's closer to DC, closer to the future Metro stations, has better schools (Herndon HS is better than Park View HS) and has lower crime (not that the Sterling location is a crime hotbed either). I can't really think of any benefits Sterling has over Herndon except for potentially neighborhood or street-specific things, like possibly being closer to a grocery store or gym or bank, but that's heavily personalized. For resale values, go with Herndon.

As for the seconday topic, I live in Ashburn but am moving in three weeks but I would've LOVED to have taken advantage of Metro. I never even go into DC anymore. I can't even tell you the last time I was there, because it's just such a hassle to get in, even not during rush hour. I hate the Toll Road and Route 7 and would definitely be willing to take Metro to avoid taking taking it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia