Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2010, 08:56 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times

Advertisements

Occoquan is one of those historic areas that always seems to have a craft fair or festival going on. They have ghost walks, santa arriving by boat, tree lighting, caroling, harvest parades, children's festivals, All Hallows Eve, The Art Walk, The Pie Toss, The Fall Festival, The River Festival, and my personal favorite, The Duck Splash (during which hundreds of rubber ducks are tossed into the river for a race).

You can learn more about the festivals here:

Historic Town of Occoquan

Which one is your favorite?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 09:03 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
That Duck Splash sounds interesting - do participants write their name on the duck or something - how far do they go? Sounds interesting, for sure!

Ghost walk - what's that all about?

Art Walk sounds interesting as well....

Old 12-08-2010, 09:25 AM

617 posts, read 1,355,752 times
Haven't gone to many of them which is unfortunate since I only live five minutes away. My wife loves the craft fairs (I hate them) and they do have some nice things but they are horribly overpriced.

The Christmas Tree lighting was a nice one, and they have other festivals which include "taste of Occoquans" which I've found enjoyable.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:29 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
I've only ever attended one craft fair (the crowds scare me). It's a good craft fair as those things go though.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:35 AM

I've often wondered if the people who live there love the festivals or find them annoying after awhile. I can imagine they clog up traffic. On the other hand, people who live there probably make friends by volunteering for the events, and how fun to have events like that right where you live.

As for the Duck Splash, I think they mark the ducks with numbers. They don't race them a very long distance, and as you can see from the photo they have duck cowboys on jet skis to keep the herd from going astray.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:35 AM

4,435 posts, read 8,122,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehead View Post
Haven't gone to many of them which is unfortunate since I only live five minutes away.
Same here, I live so close but have only gone to a craft fair. I didn't even know it was going on. I saw the traffic closed down into town and got curious so I parked at the commuter lot and walked over.

I've seen the Splash advertised and next year I'll try it. It looks fun: 4th Annual Duck Splash in Historic Occoquan | Prince William Trails and Streams Coalition | pwtsc.org

Old 12-08-2010, 09:41 AM

617 posts, read 1,355,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I've often wondered if the people who live there love the festivals or find them annoying after awhile. I can imagine they clog up traffic.
Well, I don't like them in from that standpoint for sure, mostly because Occoquan is often a cut through I use to avoid lights on Old Bridge Road and get over to 123. During these festivals, the roads are shut down. Not to mention that to even get to the festivals, you have to park in designated lots and take shuttles in, whereas I usually prefer to drive in and park nearby when I can.

I will say this, Occoquan has one of my favorite new little hangouts. A Belgian place opened up down there a few months ago. They have a bunch of really good beers that I had never had before, brewed by monks even!

Old 12-09-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Ghost walk - what's that all about?
I've never been to it, but I'd guess it involves taking people on a tour of the town and telling the ghost stories attached to each building. And probably a few from the prison that used to be right across (it had a bit of a horrifying history in the 1800s, also an important but scary story in the history of women's rights).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia