Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 11:44 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,032,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
I have lived in both places and like Jersey better - but it might be because I fit in there - I am outgoing, friendly and approcachable. Here in NOVA people are more reserved and competitive.
Jersey Shore is nothing like the jersey shore - those are the Staten Islanders we made fun of. The Jersey shore is beautiful and family friendly - I really miss the beach - it takes 3 hours in horrible traffic to get to a beach in NOVA - when I lived near Princeton NJ it took 45 minutes.

Parts of Jersey have bad traffic but NOTHING like the horror of NOVA traffic - the part of Jersey I lived in (Mercer county) was not as urban and crowded as here.

Jersey taxes are horrible but it food, housing, and other essentials are cheaper than in NOVA.
I have to disagree! (only my opinion)

I too lived in Mercer County. And my friendlines fits in MUCH better here in NoVa, everyone willing to wave or smile or strike up a conversation, polite (and this included CS people in stores, where in the Princeton area & 10 miles all around you could not get a serviceperson to acknowledge your existence, let alone say "hi" or "thank you").

Route 1 is a nightmare, and you take your life in your hands. If someone is not giving you the finger on Rt 1, they are cutting you off or laying on their horn. While traffic is bad here, I simply do not see all that.

Taxes are awful in NJ, some of the worst in the country. And the trash everywhere! There are so many nice areas of NJ but negative things are creeping in.

One prob I see both here and there is the financial problem illegals are bringing to the areas: "Having" to pay for education and other services for those who should not even be here. (and please don't tell me they do jobs Americans "won't do." Americans did those jobs for decades, centuries. And with this recession, Americans SHOULD have to do them or not get any kind of aid, in my opinion)

I know it's congested here as well, and according to pollution reports it's much worse here in the DC-Metro area, but the people-factor wins out to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 12:37 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,393,054 times
This is kind of an interesting comparison, because I think of all the places in the US I've been to, the Central Jersey suburbs and NoVA actually resemble each other the most. The North Jersey suburbs are a bit grittier (save for places like Hoboken that are similar to Arlington), and rural South Jersey is more like Southern Delaware or Southern Maryland, but between Central Jersey and NoVA, it would have to be a tossup, based on which city(ies) you want to live near most.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:37 PM

6 posts, read 29,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
There are so many things to consider. Where are the jobs? What would your housing budget be? What kind of housing? Commute perameters? The ages for the children -- public, private or home-school? How did you decide between those two areas? You didn't give anywhere near enough information for people to give advice.
yes, you are right.
actually, i am a just-graduated dentist. so, maybe i can choose the places to work. i am considering to open practice. and more, i will rent some housing for the first time. one of my kids is 3, and the other is just 1.

fairfax, oakton or mclean are places we are considering.

thank you for your reply.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:13 PM

4,902 posts, read 7,465,446 times
First, congratulations on finishing dentistry school! I know absolutely nothing about the cost of a start-up practice but I can tell you Fairfax, Oakton and McLean are very expensive areas for commerical rental space.

They're all very high end suburbs for housing also. But, of course, with that comes every imaginable amenity! If they're in your budget, it's a great place to live. The public schools are excellent and there are many private school options. Tysons Corner Shopping Center and The Galleria have every store you can name. Restaurants, recreation, proximity to DC etc. McLean, Oakton have it all.

The downside is, obviously, expensive houses/taxes, lots of heavy traffic and competition from existing dental practicse.

Only visited NJ once at the age of eleven, so can't tell you how they compare! LOL.

Best of luck!

Old 01-04-2011, 08:48 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,873,896 times
Although I now live in NOVA my vote will go to Jersey

Old 01-04-2011, 08:54 PM

Traffic in Nova worst than N.J., its more expensive down here, you don't have Jersey corn and Jersey tomatoes, and you don't have Shop Rite supermarkets.
No beach or ocean and it is a few degrees warmer here, I don't like the heat.
I also hate the fact I have to pay property tax on my car

Old 01-04-2011, 09:14 PM

It does seem like people are very friendly down here.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:20 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,515,697 times
alltheusernamesaretaken and ted08721- please tell me what area you live in so I can find the friendly people.

When I lived in the NJ/NY area people were super friendly - I talked to all my neighbors every day - people standing in lines at stores always had conversations with me - here - forget it - not a peep out of the NOVA zombies....

Oh - and people in NJ take much better care of their teeth - here it seems everyone I see is either snaggletoothed or missing some - let the flames fly~!

Last edited by Nancy in Nokomis; 01-05-2011 at 11:30 AM..

Old 01-05-2011, 11:24 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,122,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
alltheusernamesaretaken and ted08721- please tell me what area you live in so I can find the friendly people.
Fairfax Mom, I know just the place for you. Go to the Leesburg Wegmans. Every time I go there I get into conversations with people. Especially when standing in line for the cash register or for a sub sandwich.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:32 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,515,697 times
You are right - when I go to the outlets in Leesburg people are friendly - but that is Leesburg - WAAAAY out there - the Fairfax Wegmans is a nightmare!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia