Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 10:38 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,504,165 times

Advertisements

Any daily commute where you have to cross over from VA to MD I imagine would be tough
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 01:19 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,525,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leger1cn View Post
I want to live in Clarendon, Va and my company will be relocating to Silver Springs area. I checked the metro commute and it said about 3 hours. How bad will my commute be if I am driving?

Thanks!
Don't do it. The commute will be terrible.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:57 PM

15,462 posts, read 25,906,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leger1cn View Post
I want to live in Clarendon, Va and my company will be relocating to Silver Springs area. I checked the metro commute and it said about 3 hours. How bad will my commute be if I am driving?

Thanks!
It does not take 3 hours on Metro. Silver Spring is a big area, but I would guess 45 minutes to an hour if commuting Metro and transferring to a bus. It could take a bit longer but 3 hours is ridiculous. Something's wrong if wmata's trip planner told you 3 hours. Metro will be easier than driving. So, I agree with the others that you won't want to do the drive.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:38 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,246,641 times
I agree that a Clarendon to Silver Spring commute is not going to take 3 hours one way on Metro. I used to commute Pentagon City to White Flint, and then take a bus, which is at least as far and also involves a change of lines, and I could get to work in an hour. Are you having to add in a bus commute once at Silver Spring?

If you really like Clarendon, I'd say do it and use Metro. If Metro were not an option, I'd say don't do it. You may wish to look at living in Silver Spring or Bethesda however, for it might be similar enough to Clarendon for you.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:36 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,598,257 times
I have to agree more with your friend than Google maps. I used to drive from Alexandria down to Woodbridge (near Lake Ridge), and even though I never drove during traffic the trip ranged from 40 minutes to nearly 1.5 hours. Traffic is just unpredictable along that route (I'm assuming 95 or route 1). If you were hoping to live in more city-ish area, then there aren't many places better than Alexandria, but you might also take a look if there is anything available in Occoquan. It's a quaint little river-side town near Lake Ridge. Doesn't have many apartments, though. Further north is Burke, which is affordable and would give you a decent commute. Then of course there is Lake Ridge, which has a lot of affordable apartments (when we were younger and poorer we lived in Springwoods Apartments there, and it was pretty nice, but of course boring). Although I'm not sure if any of those locations would work for you because I'm not sure where Lake Ridge/Springfield really become one area - they seem pretty far apart to me. If we were talking about Springfield instead of Lake Ridge, then I would say Alexandria is a good choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia