Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2011, 01:58 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,790 times

Advertisements

We need some siding work done on our house. Has anyone had a really good experience with a company around here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 03:40 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
I'll be interested to read any responses...we lost a small little piece from our dormer (we have it) and have wondered about finding someone to put it back up.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:26 AM

30 posts, read 83,108 times
Any competent carpenter can install siding or repair a dormer. If it is major work or a large quantity (whole house) you really ought to get three bids. If you can be more specific about the type of work then I can offer more detail based on my experience as an architectural PM & GC

For small repairs in NoVa I recommend my friend Buzz. He is licensed and competent 703.220.7197 - If you call mention that Mike B referred.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevispin View Post
Any competent carpenter can install siding or repair a dormer. If it is major work or a large quantity (whole house) you really ought to get three bids. If you can be more specific about the type of work then I can offer more detail based on my experience as an architectural PM & GC

For small repairs in NoVa I recommend my friend Buzz. He is licensed and competent 703.220.7197 - If you call mention that Mike B referred.
Thank you. We had an addition removed from our house and it left parts of the wood siding damaged or missing, or in some cases with bits of the old addition still stuck to it. In addition, we have some decorative wood beams on the front of our house that are rotted and need to be replaced. They connect to the roof, but we are pretty sure they are just for looks, not actually holding anything up. We are hoping one person can do both jobs, but aren't sure if that's a good idea or not.

We've already had so many bad experiences with contractors...

Old 01-30-2011, 01:50 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Thank you. We had an addition removed from our house and it left parts of the wood siding damaged or missing, or in some cases with bits of the old addition still stuck to it. In addition, we have some decorative wood beams on the front of our house that are rotted and need to be replaced. They connect to the roof, but we are pretty sure they are just for looks, not actually holding anything up. We are hoping one person can do both jobs, but aren't sure if that's a good idea or not.

We've already had so many bad experiences with contractors...
Tell me about it, we lost a $7,500 deposit to a contractor w/excellent references, long-time in business, etc. - he filed B/K

Old 01-30-2011, 01:56 PM

"Tell me about it, we lost a $7,500..."

A BOND costs a contractor very, very little money to secure. For such large deposits you would want to insist on it.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:59 PM

Marie5,

What area do you live in? Can you post a snapshot of the affected area?

Old 01-30-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevispin View Post
Marie5,

What area do you live in? Can you post a snapshot of the affected area?
We live in Fairfax. Here are two pictures of the siding where it's still on the house - some of that has now been removed, but the siding still has to be replaced. The house has that kind of damage on another side that you can't see, and also a few other places where the addition was attached. The other picture is the wood on the front of the house - it looks ok in the picture, but it's actually so rotted that it's not even connected at the bottom. Also, it's an old picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Siding Work - Experiences?-front1.jpg   Siding Work - Experiences?-siding1.jpg   Siding Work - Experiences?-siding2.jpg  

Old 01-30-2011, 08:20 PM

262 posts, read 582,734 times
"For small repairs in NoVa I recommend my friend Buzz. He is licensed and competent 703.220.7197 - If you call mention that Mike B referred."

What sort of repairs does your friend Buzz do? We have some siding that needs replacing. And several other repair type things. Does he mind giving estimates? Getting someone to do work on your house is a scary process with all the horror stories you always hear!

Old 01-30-2011, 10:45 PM

Ginger

Buzz is a handyman in the truest sense. He'll fix a light switch or build an addition to your house. Very old-school country boy, modest & honest. I'm pretty sure he'll give you an estimate.

m
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia