Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 05:37 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,856,739 times

Advertisements

Today's Groupon Deal is for a full detail of a vehicle for $99 at Planet Wash. So, that got me thinking? Any of you folks had your car detailed? Were you impressed with it? What was the price? Anybody just do it themselves - what did you need?

I know I can just wash my own car (and that's what I do every couple of years . I thought I'd give it a super good wash and have thought about getting it detailed (oh the inside needs it) or just doing it myself. Any suggestions as to a detailer or detailing supplies like wash, wax, etc.? My car has almost 90,000 miles on it, stills looks overall decent though there are a couple of pin baby rust spots on the hood which you wouldn't be able to see unless you looked closely at it. The inside...atrocious. It needs a good vacuuming and a good scrubbing out. Plus, I have to get those headlights buffed and back to shiny!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 05:42 AM

56 posts, read 95,741 times
I do all my cars myself. I have a whole range of products and supplies I use. If you are looking for something decent and affordable give Flagship Carwash in Herndon a try www.waxmycar.com

I took my Dads car there. They did a decent job. They didn't remove all the swirls but not bad for how much I paid.

If your really upto the challenge and have time. Do it yourself. You can buy everything you need at a Auto Parts Store or Wal-Mart. Goodluck!

Old 08-11-2011, 06:17 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
My daughter is a slob and the 2002 Camry she uses is absolutely disgusting inside.

I took it to Mozarts in Woodbridge a few years ago thinking they could really help it. It was better but I don't think it was as clean as it should have been for $200. I was a little disappointed.

I know people that get their car detailed often and they look fantastic but I think it's one of those things that works best when regularly done. Otherwise, you do need to find a place that will be maniacal about getting all the old dirt up from an interior that's been neglected.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:44 AM

Yeah, this is my commuter car. It isn't filthy inside...ok, it's a little filthy but not disgusting filthy. Maybe I'll just give a good vacuum and shampo and take a toothpick around the cup holder area. The outside....anyone recommend a good wax?

Old 08-11-2011, 10:26 AM

Meguiars makes good products. Steps if you are going to do it yourself.

1. Wash the car
2. Dry the car
3. Claybar the car (Meguiars Claybar removes pitted debri in your clear coat). Run your hands across the pain. If you feel it being "rough" or "sandy", Clay will remove this
4. Apply a swirl remover/polish
5. Apply wax/sealant.

Follow up each car wash with a Quick Detailer or Quick Wax. Literally spary on and wipe off.

http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/exterior/

Old 08-11-2011, 03:56 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times
I have thought about having the engine/engine bay detailed. I think it would be too much for me to do myself. Anybody have any experience having this done?

Old 08-11-2011, 05:35 PM

Thanks for the tips kiddhan625! Also - the engine bay and engine detailed...that's a good question!

Old 08-11-2011, 06:32 PM

28 posts, read 42,094 times
I have coupon from Planet Auto Wash, but I haven't used it yet. The reason I haven't used it is because when I called to make an appointment, they told me they only did detailing on M-F, not on the weekends. I had been planning to drop the car off on a Sat morning, take a visit to the Farmer's Market, and then pick up the car. I haven't been able to get out there yet on a weekday, and probably wouldn't have bought the coupon if I had know they only did washes, not detailing, on the weekends. I notice the Groupon says it requires and appointment...maybe I'll give them another call and see if they have changed their detailing schedule.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:04 PM

Cover any parts of the engine that may have issues with water. Starter, Alternator, air filters, etc. Most newer cars have covers over the engine so this isn't required for them. (BMW, Mercedes, LandRover, etc...)

Start the car and let it run for 2 minutes. Lightly spray the engine bay with water. Keep word lightly. Now grab a can of Scrubbing Bubbles (Found in any cleaning section). Spray the whole engine bay area. Let the bubbles work for 30 - 60 seconds. Now hose the engine bay down. Again use a spray method. Do not use a forceful method such as steam or anything to that effect. Engine should be running through the whole process.

You should see a lot of grease and grime in the water on the driveway.

After your are done hosing down the engine bay keep the car running for 10 minutes.

Close the hood and drive around the neighborhood to get rid of any access water.

Turn off the car, open the engine hood and wipe down the engine.

You can use something like Son of Gun to spray the engine bay and wipe down.

Also search Youtube. I am sure their videos out there.

My engine bay after I used the above steps.

http://rsujlana.zenfolio.com/img/v28/p419337027-3.jpg (broken link)

Disclaimer: The above process is what I use. By no means am I professional. Use the process at your own risk!!!

Old 08-11-2011, 07:36 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
For professional detailing, it depends upon the car's size, products used, and treatment needed. I have paid from $150-$200 for a car, and about $300 or so for an SUV as I recall. I have used the dealership and a couple of independent shops (here and in NYC). The level of service varies widely with respect to "professional detailing," so evaluate the cost in light of what they can do for the vehicle.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia