Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 05:41 PM

31 posts, read 64,296 times

Advertisements

Ugh, no more snowdays please! I'm an elementary school teacher and these snow days are killing me.

I can't complain about my paid days off, but man it just gets boring! I was off wed-fri last week and had to watch my husband trek off to work while I sat home and entertained myself.

Any other teachers out there?

Hoping for good weather tomorrow so that I can actually get something done at work!

On another note, what do you parents do when the kids have off? As one half of a DINK couple new to the area and new to teaching, I've always wondered what parents have to do when the kids get off and work isn't cancelled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 06:30 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
I got a lot of school work done on Wednesday. I even went in to school for an hour or so in the morning. At home I spent a few hours bubbling scan sheets for grades, emailed a few parents an invitation for a school assembly, and responded to a couple of emails.

Friday is being made up on President's Day in Fairfax County. (For those who are wondering, it is a full day for elementary schools on that day.)

My spouse and I both teach elementary students and agree that this has been too long of a break. It is going to be tough getting the students back into school mode.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:33 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
SO BORED. SO SO SO BORED.

I'm student teaching, so I have even less to do. I'm currently going through binders and books of sample multiple choice questions and computerizing them for SOL practice. Tedious and mindless, but at least it's something to do. If I organize my closets one more time my husband is going to commit me to an insane asylum.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:40 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,551,196 times
Have you read my thread proposing that we simply declare January and February the annual school break and instead have school in July and August? As a parent, I get tired of this unpredictable schedule, not to mention that the kids aren't sent home with any meaningful work while waiting for school to resume. I think they should be. I took matters upon myself to create busy work for them, more or less following their curriculum, but not every parent has the time nor inclination. I think that whenever a large storm is looming, kids should be sent home with a packet of work to do at home.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/north...y-why-not.html

BTW, it wasn't all hitting the books for us. In addition to playing school, we had several playdates with friends, built snowmen, forts, shovelled snow, played instruments, and went sledding.

Last edited by Gottasay; 01-31-2011 at 06:53 PM..

Old 01-31-2011, 06:58 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
I get tired of this unpredictable schedule, not to mention that the kids aren't sent home with any meaningful work while waiting for school to resume. I think they should be. I took matters upon myself to create busy work for them, more or less following their curriculum, but not every parent has the time nor inclination. I think that whenever a large storm is looming, kids should be sent home with a packet of work to do at home.
It's tough to put together a packet of meaningful work in advance for the kids to do. A lot of it would probably be busy work IMO. Last year, during the big snowstorms, I was able to scan a few things and post them on Blackboard for my third graders to complete. They were optional. I also started a discussion board thread on Blackboard and asked the students to write about how they were spending their days off. It was popular. There were many posts and a lot of discussion. That turned out to be worthwhile.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:16 PM

696 posts, read 1,693,919 times
I've been busy with report cards and taking care of my own kids (our oldest got sick on Friday). It's been a GREAT break for potty training my 2yo! I do agree that it's going to be hard to get the kids back in "school" mode.

I do remember snow days prior to having my own kids.....they were b-o-r-i-n-g! Who else wants to beat up Mr. Groundhog if he says more winter?

Old 01-31-2011, 07:36 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,275,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtodcfromseattle View Post
I've been busy with report cards and taking care of my own kids (our oldest got sick on Friday). It's been a GREAT break for potty training my 2yo! I do agree that it's going to be hard to get the kids back in "school" mode.

I do remember snow days prior to having my own kids.....they were b-o-r-i-n-g! Who else wants to beat up Mr. Groundhog if he says more winter?

ME, I will help beat the groundhog up

Old 01-31-2011, 07:58 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,551,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
It's tough to put together a packet of meaningful work in advance for the kids to do. A lot of it would probably be busy work IMO. Last year, during the big snowstorms, I was able to scan a few things and post them on Blackboard for my third graders to complete. They were optional. I also started a discussion board thread on Blackboard and asked the students to write about how they were spending their days off. It was popular. There were many posts and a lot of discussion. That turned out to be worthwhile.
The internet is a beautiful thing, isn't it? Granted, not everyone has internet access in my school district...but most do. Those who don't are far and few between and the schools know who they are and how to get a hold of them. Sounds like a great project for a bored student teacher to do, lol.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:06 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Bus drivers get bored too...at least this one does! Yesterday and today I put an engine in a co-workers car....poor girl would be walkin' otherwise and it was a great way to pass the time in my man cave! LOL

Tomorrow is the mandatory Winter Safety meeting...4 hours of YAWN. Then I have a field trip from 2:00pm to 10:00 pm...weather permitting.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:10 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
The internet is a beautiful thing, isn't it? Granted, not everyone has internet access in my school district...but most do. Those who don't are far and few between and the schools know who they are and how to get a hold of them. Sounds like a great project for a bored student teacher to do, lol.
Would love to...but unfortunately at the school I am working at, less than 50% of kids have internet access at home We put everything on blackboard anyway, but we can't rely on it as a way to get to the students.

Maybe I should send math problems via text message to kids on extended breaks...seems all these middle schoolers have cell phones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia