Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 07:26 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,180,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Yes! They made a small replica complete with furnishings inside. A local school and other craftsmen contributed to the painting and finishing of it. it had really fine details. I saw it in the papers and then, when I went to the Blue Ridge Hospice Thrift Store in Winchester, it was on display! It really looked great, way better than the pictures. Evidently, the small house belonged to an elderly couple. The wife had always wanted a dollhouse and many years later, her husband presented her with the dollhouse which was a replica of their real house (the one in Caladium's pic). The wife felt that this should be shared with the community, not just sit alone in their house, so others were involved in the detail parts and a raffled held.
What a great story!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 08:06 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,179,387 times
Caladium - I love old houses, especially any that are "Main Street USA" type houses. If I had my choice of where to live in this area, I'd likely choose either Old Town Alexandria or Downtown Leesburg.

My grandma used to live right outside of Morristown, NJ - I loved that little section of our drive to visit her.

We visited a suburb of Austin a couple years back that has a cute downtown area(Georgetown) - it is a bit far from Austin proper for a commute, but so charming.

Another favorite city of mine with charming old homes - Savannah. Too darn hot and humid most of the year, but the houses on the squares? GORGEOUS!

Old 02-03-2011, 08:08 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,379,327 times
beautiful

Old 02-03-2011, 08:42 AM

21 posts, read 73,572 times
When I saw the picture of the first house I could not believe my eyes. It is an exact replica of a cross stitch picture I did in the mid 80's, right down to the two trees in the front yard. My house is blue though.
I was pleasantly surprised! Thanks for the great feeling.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:49 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,603,350 times
Our neighborhood has its very own house tour every year - everyone wants to see what everyone else's house looks like inside! Nothing historic or really special about the neighborhood, just indulging everyone's curiosity.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:55 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,121,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Our neighborhood has its very own house tour every year - everyone wants to see what everyone else's house looks like inside! Nothing historic or really special about the neighborhood, just indulging everyone's curiosity.
I've never heard of this. Are tickets sold? Are there guides? So what do people look at then--the way it's decorated?

Old 02-03-2011, 10:00 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,971,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Where is your neighborhood? I am always curious when people make comments about their neighborhood but have no specific location specified.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:07 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,121,455 times
I was also thinking that if it's open to anyone (not monitored) -- then this opens it up to thieves. Hasn't there been a rash of B & E recently (Fairfax?) in nice neighborhoods?

Old 02-03-2011, 02:18 PM

15,402 posts, read 29,027,156 times
I love the story about the miniature house! This is a wonderful idea for a thread. As far as my personal favorites go, there are some homes in Great Falls near Riverbend Park that appeal to my sense of whimsy. There's one near Jeffrey Road that has a little bridge connecting two buildings. It's adorable. I wish I had a photo of it.

I don't have a LOT of house photos, but of the ones I have here are some houses that I like.

It's not a particularly old house, but I've always admired the white house on the left.

I like all the funky townhouses on Lake Anne. These ones were designed to resemble a Finnish fishing village.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:21 PM

15,402 posts, read 29,027,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
I was also thinking that if it's open to anyone (not monitored) -- then this opens it up to thieves. Hasn't there been a rash of B & E recently (Fairfax?) in nice neighborhoods?
They probably have family members who hang around. I used to open my house for charity events, and we always had family members casually "hanging out" in various rooms just as a precaution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia