Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 11:02 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,111,421 times

Advertisements

I saw a similar thread on another forum and thought it would be fun to have a topic like that here, too. Everyone has a few local houses that are personal favorites. The house you always look for when you go walking in an neighborhood. The one that "seems to speak to you." Here are a few that I really like. What are some of yours?

I just love this house. It's dimensions and details seem so perfect to me. It looks like a house with a story to tell.
http://www.keogan.com/purcellville0019.jpg (broken link)

Don't you just love the mansard roof and the columns on this little gem?
http://www.keogan.com/purcellville0018.jpg (broken link)

I'd love to go on an house tour and see what this looks like on the inside.
http://www.keogan.com/purcellville0041.jpg (broken link)

I like the porches on the side, as well as the garage.

I've always been intrigued by this house.

This Sterling house has always looked so inviting to me. I like this one for it's wide front porch, and the way the garage is underneath the house. Also, some of the detailing is nicely done.

If I win the lottery someday, I wouldn't mind living here.

This is my favorite house in Herndon.

Another Herndon house I really like. Can't you just picture Father Knows Best taking place here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 12:16 PM

4,900 posts, read 7,459,660 times
Isn't your first picture (if it's what I think it is) is in Hamilton, VA?

If so, the Prudential Real Estate Company in town had a replica dollhouse made of that house. They had a raffle for it. The house has a name and is one of the oldest in town.

The one on the corner with the mansard roof used to be a bank, I believe.

If you like house tours, you need to check out Historic Garden Week. Historic Garden Week in Virginia They always have good ones!

Old 02-02-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
That's the one. The first three photos are from the photo tour I did last winter of Hamilton, Round Hill and Purcellville. There are so many interesting old homes out that way. I really want to redo that photo tour when spring arrives because the photos I took last year don't do it justice.

There are also some really cool houses in Reston that I like but I don't happen to have photos of them. Maybe later this week I can go out and take some.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:06 PM

10 posts, read 17,347 times
I really like your style. I'm a big fan of older homes, particularly Victorians and Craftsmans, and I can see the appeal in each of the homes you've posted. This area has so many neighborhoods and I do get sort of sad to think about all the new neighborhoods edging the older ones out. But, I suppose one day the new neighborhoods will be old, too. I just hope their construction holds up!

Last edited by Onomatopoeia Zadora; 02-02-2011 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-02-2011, 02:13 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,315,726 times
I have always loved the house on Westmoreland St. in Falls Church that's near the intersection of 31st St. N. (just a few blocks north of Williamsburg). I don't have a photo, but here's the Google Street View. I used to live nearby and I passed it every day for years on the bus to the Metro.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
I have always loved the house on Westmoreland St. in Falls Church that's near the intersection of 31st St. N. (just a few blocks north of Williamsburg). I don't have a photo, but here's the Google Street View. I used to live nearby and I passed it every day for years on the bus to the Metro.
Oh, that's a beauty! Some of those houses in Falls Church are stunning. McLean has some interesting ones, too.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onomatopoeia Zadora View Post
But, I suppose one day the new neighborhoods will be old, too.
Exactly--in another thirty years the newer homes here will strike us as "having character." And, by then, the owners will have added enough individual touches that many will have distinct personalities.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:41 PM

53 posts, read 126,291 times
I'm a HUGE fan of older homes! LOVE the smell and freshness of new homes, but they generally lack that character that you'd get with an older home. THUS why we chose our home here in Manassas. Built in '77 and on about 1.5 acres, in a storybook setting/neighborhood.

This is an adorable thread. Will definitely contribute if I can remember next time I'm out! lol

Old 02-02-2011, 03:50 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,099,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post

If so, the Prudential Real Estate Company in town had a replica dollhouse made of that house. They had a raffle for it. The house has a name and is one of the oldest in town.
Yes! They made a small replica complete with furnishings inside. A local school and other craftsmen contributed to the painting and finishing of it. it had really fine details. I saw it in the papers and then, when I went to the Blue Ridge Hospice Thrift Store in Winchester, it was on display! It really looked great, way better than the pictures. Evidently, the small house belonged to an elderly couple. The wife had always wanted a dollhouse and many years later, her husband presented her with the dollhouse which was a replica of their real house (the one in Caladium's pic). The wife felt that this should be shared with the community, not just sit alone in their house, so others were involved in the detail parts and a raffled held.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:57 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,099,560 times
C, there was a Historic House Tour in Winchester the first weekend of December. Lynchburg Lover posted the info for it awhile back. Five houses were featured; all within walking distance. I went this year and had a blast! There was a big party the night before in an Italianate Victorian mansion--lots of food, open bar, just terrific people! Everyone mentioned the Historic Garden Tour in the Spring and I'm planning to go to the one in Winchester!

Thanks for sharing the pics! The houses are beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia